Author Topic: Little Lump Knot  (Read 23986 times)

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
Re: Little Lump Knot
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 03:49:46 AM »
There could be a bit of a misunderstanding here ...

Domagoj says "i can't register on that forum."

I can't either.

I tried to a couple of days ago, and kept getting an error message saying "invalid nickname" with no further explanation as to what the problem with the nickname was (whether it was already taken, contained illegal characters, was too long, too short, etc.)

I emailed the webmaster who cheerfully and promptly replied to say "no problem, I'll register you myself", but there is some problem with new registrations at that site.

So maybe Domagoj doesn't want to hand over his email - but he didn't actually say that as far as I can see, that seems to be an assumption - but maybe he just had the same problem I did.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 04:37:13 AM by Amati »

A. Nonymous Kinker

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2006, 04:07:40 AM »
This must be help or what?

I'm going to have to go with "or what" here, Domagoj Nola.  You can get help here, but you need to be very, very careful how you ask, and what words you use, and of whom.  Think Soviet-bloc Party apparatchik and you'll do okay.

If you have access to newsgroups, you'll find that the group:rec.crafts.knots is a little more useful in terms of "open discussion" regarding knots.  There are egos to deal with there too, but they're more diluted by the rest of us.  And yes, there's spam too, which you'll have to ignore or filter, like the rest of us ("grown-ups") do.  And no sign-up.

You see, people, we're not "afraid" of posting our E-mail, we just don't want {whomever} deciding some day that s/he just must have more money & the spammers are throwing buckets of it at him/her, so...  You may not now be feeding the spammers, but I (among others) don't care to have to change E-maill addresses because of what you might be doing later!!

Besides, did it not occur to any tender egos here that maybe our new guy, Domagoj Nola, might either A: not even have an E-mail address to give (who uses library/public computers?) or B: live in a country where maintaining anonymity might actually be a survival skill??  Hmmmm??????

And since there seem to be few who'll read back, let me

Posted by: Knot Head Posted on: Apr 9th, 2006, 6:03am
Well it looks as if the link I put in the forum on KHWW worked for him Dan.  

Posted by: domagoj nola Posted on: Apr 9th, 2006, 5:28pm
soory but i can't read khww forum because i can't register on
that forum  

Posted by: Knot Head Posted on: Apr 9th, 2006, 11:43pm
Exactly. I got tired of the spam dumpers commin to KHWW and posting their garbage. So in order to protect our younger viewers and members I made it so only members of KHWW can view and post messages. I sure hope others can understand this.  

So you, Knot Head, interjected your own self-satisfied little spam message (allegedly to "Dan", except there's no "Dan" in this conversation, is there?  Since you're so knowledgeable about the subject, you know that's one hallmark of spam -- casually addressing an uninvolved 3rd party.) about your "KHWW", which is (by your own admission) only available to (signed up) members, which Domagoj Nola has politely informed you he could not do, so in reply you launch into a diatribe about spammers, "exactly," and now Domagoj Nola and I both think you meant him, "exactly" (he admitted he's new at English, but I've been fluent at it for 45+ years), and his thread/ question is now wrecked thanks to you, and no, PABPRES, your comments didn't help this time.  Domagoj Nola is the injured party here, as well as the rest of us who were enjoying an interesting thread about knotting until you came along, and if anyone can't see that, you're just not reading.  I don't know what your native language is, Knot Head, but what you wrote in this thread looks, to a native English speaker, like recruitment spam, a "puff", and a major put-down.  And I though Fairlead was a wet blanket!

It's a wonder y'all let anybody[/i] post here in the first place!  Or is it just having newbies with non-Western names pop up that gets you people so angry??  (This is not the first time I've witnessed you people blow up on a newbie like this!!)

It's no wonder people don't want to join your silly social club!!  Between Fairlead's "you're not a member" posts and the rest of the crew picking on odd turns of a foreign phrase, to the bushwhacking Knot Head just launched, it's a wonder any knotting goes on here at all!!

This is the "International Guild" of what, again??

In case no one has noticed, most of us come here to learn how to tie knots better, not to get mired down in you people's "issues".  If that's too much to ask of the International Guild of freaking Knot Tyers, perhaps Mr. Budworth has wasted his complete time and complete effort on all of you.

Domagoj Nola, please accept my apologies, if none else but mine be offered, for the appalling way you (among others) have been treated here.  Please accept without reason that there are some of us out here who do care to see your knotting skills increase, with or without our help.  And try Google next time, as well as group:rec.crafts.knots.

Now, Squarerigger did it nicely, I'm doing it my way:  The gauntlet is thrown down:  Is the IGKT going to continue to be an inbred social club, or are you people going to step up & become the "Guild" the rest of us are all looking for?  I'd suggest if you people can't do it, the rest of us should take up the banner ourselves.  You can go be the "Insufferable Group of Kranky Twits" for all we care.  It's time to put petty rudeness behind us & get more knots tied better!  All the other crafts & trades have their respective, respectable "guilds"!  If Knot Tying -- the oldest technology we humans (on both sides of the Iron Curtain) have -- doesn't have a Guild, maybe we're just asking the wrong people to build it.

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2006, 04:59:22 AM »
A.Nonymous, good on you for giving Domagoj some practical help, and I have to say I read this thread yesterday and thought, "wha ...?"

But ...

Maybe I shouldn't comment because I don't really hang out here much, but I think you're a little unfair to Fairlead.

That post of his you refer to actually rang bells with me, as someone who burned out totally as a volunteer in one organisation and has had to put up some boundaries in another to avoid being run into the ground. Fairlead's absolutely right to point out that some adjustment of expectations has to occur when dealing with volunteer organisations. He may have been a little het up but he pointed out some work that the original poster might not have been aware of and then took the points made "on board". It seemed to me the comment re membership was to do with whether or not the poster receives IGKT published material, which contains some of the work being discussed - a non-member obviously may not be "up to speed" if they don't read the magazines.

Fairlead, and some other IGKTers, without knowing me from a bar of soap, put themselves out to meet up with me last year when I was travelling from the other side of the world, and were most helpful and friendly, and generous with their time and experience. No "inbred social club" there - I'm from a convict colony!

Way off topic, I know, but this thread has been for some time.  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 07:59:33 AM by Amati »

A. Nonymous Poster

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2006, 06:30:10 AM »
I'm from a convict colony!

Way off topic, I know, but this thread has been for some time.  

G'day y'all!  Get out yer booties, 'cause it's gonna get COLD down there, now that Global Warming is coming back to the OLD "convict colony"!  ;)

I agree with you, that a substantial number of the people here are top-shelf, but you know the old saw "one bad apple..."?  I'm just trying to shed light on a few brown spots.

And to sound the alarm of the impending demise of Mr. Budworth's complete dream, if it's a social club they now wanna be.

The "real" "Guilds" (or "Guild-like Organizations" ... a rose by any other name...) which provide stability & guidance for the other crafts (masonry, blacksmithing/welding, carpentry, surveying, weaving -- to name 5 with which I have personal experience) probably had these problems too, but I'm pretty sure they didn't air their petty social "issues" in public.  And I'm absolutely sure they didn't ambush their new members like this!!

Ah, but PABPRES has it oh, so right:  "So what, who cares!"  Right?  It's not like the Boy Scouts have a "Knotting Merit Badge", do they?  Nor do sailors (in the Colonies, anyway) give much more than a passing nod to a knottyer, after they've sailed off with their work.  So why should I care?  Why should Domagoj Nola (or anyone else) come here for help?

Why??  Because WE care, d a m m i t, and we want to see Mr. Budworth's complete idea succeed!!  Right?  Or is it just me?  As all these other crafts have their "Guilds" (though some are called by different names), why can't we??  Well, why isn't ours as evolved as theirs?  Maybe it's because the actual knots themselves are less important to some than the words used or the unpronounceable names or whether or not their egos have been adequately stroked...

But this is all very embarrassing and there are knots to tie, so "Peace, I'm outie"!!  If you're ever in the Lower-Eastern colonies, you'll have a place to stay, if only in my barn!!  ;)  Seriously, hospitality is hardly a measure of the value of a social club (much less a craft guild)!!  It's de rigeur "down here".  Come on over, we'll toss the froth off a couple & I'll show you.

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
  • A knot is not just a knot...
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2006, 06:39:11 AM »
Yep like slip jig said. there was a really big misunderstanding here.
Regards,
Brian Kidd

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 07:23:56 AM »
Hi Domagoj Nola,
 I am sorry to have gotten angry and been rude.  I really am very glad you learned the LLK.  You did pick a hard knot to learn for starter.  Let us see a picture of your project if you can.  Where did you use the LLK?  I like it as the terminal knot on a bell rope of key fob.  Again... please accept my apology for my rude language.  To all other members and guests I also extend my apology.  I have a very short fuse and get set off by almost anything... but I'll try very hard to not let it happen again.  Sorry to all!  I am most sorry that anything I said has been taken as a comment from the IGKT or IGKT-PAB as when I am rude it is not as a spokesman for the Guild but just my own rude and thoughtless self.  Becasue of my affiliation I really must keep my mouth shut (keyboard locked).  Yes, I am guilty of being hard on newbies and am sorry for that too, but perhaps less so.  When I came to knotting as a newbie I didn't jump in and want my "original knot" named for me.  In fact I assumed everything I "discovered" was older than dirt.  Therefore I get a bit harsh with "new knots".  But since new knots must stand on their own two feet.. the "So what, who cares?" idea I have been critical of folks who have not done any study and have invented a knot without purpose or foundation.  Since I came to recognize my harshness as detrimental to the IGKT and IGKT- PAB I've tried to change my tone on "new knots".  For quite a long while I didn't post because it often came off as harsh and judgemental even when I was thinking I was being gentle and instructive.  I may have to go back to that stance again.  I thank eveyone for the "off thread comments" as it has given me a lot to think about in my behavior and my lack of tact when posting.  It can't help but be food for thought for others as well.  Good night.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 07:45:19 AM by PABPRES »
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

Lasse_C

• The price of skill is neverending practice
    • Photo galleries (Text in Swedish)
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 10:23:34 AM »
Let me point out that I do and did not have any intention to try to intimidate Domagoj Nola or get him to leave the forum! I also want it perfectly understood that I consider taking on the LLK as a relatively unexperienced knotter is ambitious - not to say daring - and worthy of respect, if anything. That Domagoj Nola apparently succeeded speaks well for him.

What I did  react to was the language used when Domagoj Nola replied to KnotHead. I honestly feel that kind of language was - and is - uncalled for, and quite unnecessary. As I wrote I can perfectly well understand why KnotHead has made the choice that people must register (As I also mentioned I can right now see another of my favourite forums being made nearly non-functional and pushed on its way to collaps by spambots, and believe me: It is not a pretty sight...)  After all it is KnotHeads site, so he makes the rules - if I agree with his choice or not is actually beside the point!

So, in the spirit of clarifying and making amends, I would like to say that I hope you will keep on knotting, and will keep returning here, Domagoj Nola!

No hard feelings, I hope?

Lasse C
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 12:02:04 PM by Lasse_C »

Domagoj Nola

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2006, 04:20:12 PM »
http://www.moj-album.com/slike/845042/1CCRKJTdJlLeFEBv.jpg
i try to put link to photo of my LLK i am soory of my bad lenguge but i am sick and tiered of people who think they know everything and yuging to everyone.I have simply needed help it is not a problem of e-mail because i have gave my e-mail and it is not yahoo e-mail but fixed line e-mail and
my name is behind that mail,i am not afraid of aneyone than god.my name is Domagoj Nola from Croatia and i live at Podgora whit address I.G.Kovacica 34 i will gave my phone number if someone is interested!
If thay dont want me on thay forum it is not a problem.
If they dont want to help me whit LLK thay dont have to speak about Rembrant on top of a Goya and bikes thay simly dont.Every time i start to interesting about some new stuf or hobbys i bump to a people like this who have eggos like gods and thay dont want to help anyone.
My e-mail is : domagoj.nola@st.t-com.hr and i have a problems whit writting english but not whit understanding.

So long to knot gods

SlipJig

• A Happy IGKT Member!
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 04:50:58 PM »
Nice work, Domagoj.

Good for you!!!!

I hope you stick around and that we will see more of your work in future. I am pretty much a beginner at all this and I learn something every time anyone posts a photo or a question.

Lasse_C

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2006, 07:01:09 PM »
Is that your first attempt at LLK? That is good. That is really good! Keep it up!

It also appears that misunderstandings are cleared, and what excuses might be needed are passed around and accepted. If so, all is well!

Welcome aboard!

Lasse C

Domagoj Nola

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2006, 07:10:08 PM »
Ok ,it is my first one but Dan tutorial is great and i did not understend it at first time.my next task is LLK whit a 10,12..cords but i will first practise whit 8 cords.

best regardes

Domagoj Nola

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2006, 09:45:49 PM »
http://www.moj-album.com/slike/845042/zVbnoQIH3GjShAYc.jpg
today i have made a star knot-key fob it is my first one it is from Dan tutorial i thinck it ok for first one

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2006, 10:27:11 PM »
Hello Domagoj,

Thank you for posting the Star Knot key-fob you made - this looks like an interesting cord - is it nylon (polyamid) or something else?  It is very hard to tell from your photo, even after enhancing it with a photo-editor to brighten it up.  Do you get your cord locally or do you buy it from overseas?  Well done on being able to follow Dan's excellent tutorial - I shall also look forward to seeing more of your knotting.

Lindsey

Lasse_C

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 11:19:19 PM »
Dan tutorial is great and i did not understend it at first time.
I do not know if it is a relief to you or not - but neither did I...  ;)

If you like to, try to play with two colours:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lasse_carenvall/detail?.dir=cb1a&.dnm=9d10.jpg&.src=ph  
or making a "pineapple" version : http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lasse_carenvall/detail?.dir=cb1a&.dnm=bb7f.jpg&.src=ph

Lasse C

Domagoj Nola

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 12:51:04 AM »
this cord whit i did  my knots is polyamid and it is somekind of cord for fishing (it is a specila cord for that purpes and i can buy that in small renge of collors) )because i dont have to much of choice of ropes to buy in local shops.
this bicolor LLK is not for me i dont like it a lot but this pineapple LLK is a realy beauty and i will try to make somthing like this and i thinck that i have seen a tutorial on one web site for that -when i finish i will post results.

anything