Author Topic: A "new" knot, or not.  (Read 12511 times)

knot4u

Re: A "new" knot, or not.
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 08:48:54 PM »
Here's what I propose for my amusement.  Someone here get off the couch and put together this catalog of knots where anybody gets to take a pic and put their knot in there.  I won't be doing it because I don't think it's a good idea.

A better use of time would be first to organize Ashley Book of Knots with proper indexing, cross referencing, etc., of the myriad of knots.  After that, you would have a better mindset of how your catalog should go.  Further, you could just plug into the system you devised for ABOK and build from there, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

It's sad that the people who want to do this catalog would rather sit in this thread and debate the issue until they get approval, or perhaps you just want someone else to do the hard work for you.  I'm a small business owner.  If I have an idea that I think is good, I don't sit around and cry for approval.  I just make it happen.  If it doesn't work, oh well, at least I tried.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:43:49 PM by knot4u »

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
OK,

How would you 'Properly Index' this :-

image attribution Xarax

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »
I think something along the lines of:

Name - none
Class - bends
Structure - half hitches, interlaced
Author - Xarax

All you need to do is narrow the search sufficiently to be able to look through a set of photographs. Adding the author's name is not necessarily to attribute discovery but to enable a search for all knots pictured by an individual (who may have a particular interest for example) and to credit the person who tied and drew or photographed the knot (and who has copyright in the picture).

Barry

knot4u

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
OK,

image attribution Xarax

Not sure...but please provide the link to the thread discussing this.  :)

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 06:57:44 PM »
I think something along the lines of:

Name - none
Class - bends
Structure - half hitches, interlaced
Author - Xarax

All you need to do is narrow the search sufficiently to be able to look through a set of photographs. Adding the author's name is not necessarily to attribute discovery but to enable a search for all knots pictured by an individual (who may have a particular interest for example) and to credit the person who tied and drew or photographed the knot (and who has copyright in the picture).

Barry

So now you are armed with a 'Proper' Index of this knot, and an excellent photograph by Xarax, so chances are it comes from this Forum, yet despite this  we get :-

OK,

image attribution Xarax

Not sure...but please provide the link to the thread discussing this.  :)

So, neither index description, nor image was sufficient to find this knot, nor the description / discussion that went with the post.

Derek

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »
I am not experienced in knot testing, and I do not have the proper instruments I would wish to.
I don't buy it.  You've been here way too long to plead ignorance (member since July 2008!).  

Regarding the instruments, you can go to many outdoor equipment stores and buy short segments (10 feet or a couple meters) of just about every type of rope they have for less than the cost of one long coil of rope.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:04:32 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

knot4u

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
OK,

image attribution Xarax

I wasn't trying to make some sort of point in my last post.  I honestly want to know where this bend is being discussed.  I tied it.  It didn't jam.  It's like a simpler version of the Carrick Bend.  I want to know what others have said about it.

To be clear, I am thread jacking and am off topic.  8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:09:45 PM by knot4u »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »
You "do not even do knot tests, when paid" , you have said, remember ?
No I don't remember that.  This is what I really said:
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1094.msg7461#msg7461
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

knot4u

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 11:07:43 PM »
  To knot4u,

You do not seem to follow my posts with "fancy and decorative" "useless, functionless" knots, do you ?  :)
   Read 1) and 2).

1) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=2851.0
2) http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=3130.msg18711#msg18711

It turns out that I like about 1 out of every 30 knots you post.  I usually don't have the time to try them out.  Perhaps I would like more of them if I gave them more attention, but I again I don't have the time.  Also, the complicated looking knots are typically not of interest to me.  This knot of yours was posted here by someone else.  I figured they liked it and pre-screened it for me.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:09:20 PM by knot4u »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »
 P.S. I am still waiting a responce from you, about my request to you to tie even one f... knot I have published pictures of, and tell me your thoughts about it,
I already did.  It was in the very thread you just misquoted:

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1094.msg7391#msg7391

Notice that you presented it in a way that discussed its practical qualities even though it was in the Chit Chat forum.  So I know you have it in you.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:17:26 PM by roo »

knot4u

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 12:35:01 AM »
 This knot of yours was posted here

It is not a knot of mine...It is a well known variation of Double Harness bend, although not seen very frequently.( AND, I have to repeat it because you seem to read only 1 out of 30 words I write,  :), there are no knots that "belong" to me, in any sense, or even knots that I have "invented". The simple knots we are talking here, are like elementary mathematical theorems, they are entities that are, in a sense, there, before us, and independently of our existence. Somebody happens, by pure luck, to meet them before somebody else. My intention was to discuss the definition of new knots I have tried to give in the first post f this topic, but it seems that I have failed ( once more... :)

Don't take this the wrong way...

A lot of what you say is noise that I don't want to hear.  There are some good nuggets in there, but I actually do not have the time or motivation to discover them through all the noise.  I'll accept that it's my loss, but I'll live.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 05:49:34 AM »
OK,

Touche' !

I see it as a seed or maybe 1st continuance of a sequence
that includes the blood knots but also *pull-together*
end-2-end joint of timber hitches --this knot being simple
enough to fit in either series.  (But I do not see half-hitches
which are in a knot that can be seen to precede this one,
in simplicity --aka the grass bend. )

One can see the next in the series either wrapping a turn
more the tail around its own SPart or around both (blood ).

--dl*
====
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:08:44 PM by Dan_Lehman »