Author Topic: What's the most effective way to secure a Trucker's hitch?  (Read 1570 times)

TMCD

What's the most effective way to secure a Trucker's hitch?
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:23:21 PM »
The common way and the Teamster's way is with two or more half hitches, sometimes these are hard or take some time when untying. I'm currently tying two slipped HH's with the working end going through the loop of the second slipped HH and pulled tight on itself. What would you pros recommend for this final step of securing the TH....I'm currently using the fig 8 as my mid loop because this is a stationary TH that stays on top of my work van.

knot4u

Re: What's the most effective way to secure a Trucker's hitch?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »
You started a nearly identical thread in January:  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=2731.0

I usually find myself tying a slipped Half Hitch.  Then I tie a second Half Hitch on that slip, then a third Half Hitch...and so on until the extra rope is taken up.  I usually wrap the Half Hitches around all strands of rope.  If instead I have many feet of rope left, I'll probably tie the slipped Two Half Hitches and then coil the remainder somehow.

It's important to note that I start the slip on the first Half Hitch.  If there is a lot of tension, that first Half Hitch can be difficult to untie if I didn't slip it.  There are other fancier solutions (like Round Turns around the second anchor, etc.), but I have found the Half Hitches work just as well.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 01:57:09 AM by knot4u »