Author Topic: A Sliding Stop Knot  (Read 1663 times)

Mik3e

A Sliding Stop Knot
« on: November 03, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »
This does not describe a new knot, just a different way to use the same old stuff. The basic technique is tie a hitch that can slide on a running-line, slide the hitch to the desired location, pull the hitch's lines to distort the hitch and running-line into a stop knot, and set the stop knot. Loosen the stop knot and pull the running-line's ends to distort the stop knot back into the hitch.

For this project I used an Orange line which is on the shy side of 4mm and flexible, Red is 4mm plus and stiff, and White is 8mm and flexible. When I used the same weight line for both the running-line and hitch I brought the end of the running-line around and hitched it to itself.

Constrictor Hitch: With all line weights the Constrictor distorts into two linked loops that make a small but satisfactory stop knot, although Orange did slip when not set hard. It also works when Red is the hitch on White, although that combination jams, is difficult to loosen and distort back to the hitch. The Orange hitch could distort Red with a little nudging, but not White. The Constrictor works best when both lines are the same weight.

Sheet Bend: Pull a bight in the running-line and tie a loose Double Sheet Bend with the hitch line. Pull the running-line ends to distort the Sheet Bend into a type of slip knot, which is the slider. I suppose the slip knot has a name, but more importantly, I was unable to consistently tie it correctly to distort into the Sheet Bend, so I start with the Sheet Bend to get the proper slider. The Sheet Bend works with all line weights and Red on White, but not Orange on Red or White. It makes a larger stop knot than the Constrictor, but takes a little more fiddling to set.

I tested this technique by pulling as hard as I could on the stop knots and they didn't slip, with the one exception noted above. With the stop knot properly set I also pulled as hard as I could on the running-line ends and could not distort them back to the slider. ( this is decidedly not hi-tech testing )

Here's the caveat, if the stop knot loosens, and there is sufficient pull on the running-line ends, the stop knot could distort back into the slider when nobody is looking. This technique should not be used when the stakes are high and the knot is unattended. As always it's up to the user to know their situation and use proper care and caution.

So, there you have it. Use it three times and it's yours.
Mike

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: A Sliding Stop Knot
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »
Good day Mik3e and welcome.

It would be helpful to the interested readers if you would post some pictures.

SS

Mik3e

Re: A Sliding Stop Knot
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »
SS: I don't have the photo equipment, sorry.

anything