Author Topic: good application for gripping sailor's hitch  (Read 3629 times)

dmacdd

• Exp. Member
    • My Knot Pages
good application for gripping sailor's hitch
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:19:20 PM »
I have carried a walking stick for some years. My only reason for carrying it when I started was to support and display the bands of 3M reflective tape I applied to it.  I often walk after dark, often crossing heavily traveled streets while occupied in thought. The reflective tape makes me extremely conspicuous in a car's headlights.  Although I now use the stick for support while picking objects up off the ground, or for sitting and rising from sitting, I still don't need its help for mere walking, so carry it at the trail -- horizontally at the center of gravity. But I now carry it always while out of doors, whether day or night. These uses are served better by a stick almost ten inches (250 mm) longer than the length recommended for support while walking. To make the long stick easier to carry, and to make myself more visible, I oscillate it in a vertical plane  at exactly half the frequency of my pace.

I often take a book on my rambles, or buy one while out, and/or rent or return DVDs at the local video store. For some time I have been lashing these items to the stick at the center of gravity, where I grip the stick.  

I carry a cord with a semi-permenent loop 1 inch, 25 mm, in diameter tied in one end. I use the loop to form the running loop that starts the wrapping for the binding of the package of books and DVDs. (The loop knot is the bowstring knot, ABoK 151, with an overhand stopper -- Ashley calls this combination the Honda knot, ABoK 227,228,1024. I find it makes a secure, compact, semi-permanent loop that is still extremely easy to untie if I want the cord for another purpose.)  When the package is bound, I then use the working end to hitch it to the walking stick. I first used the well pipe hitch, AboK 504, but two half hitches, even three half hitches, would quickly come undone when subjected to a few minutes of the waggling motion.  I tried securing the half  hitches with an overhand stopper.  That worked well, but I only did it once because it's too hard to untie.  I tried a well pipe hitch completed with a slipped buntline. It worked well, was secure,  and was easy to tie and untie, but it was difficult to snug up close to the stick.

When I tried the gripping sailor's hitch, http://notableknotindex.webs.com/sailorhitches.html I had found the ideal knot. Like the well pipe hitch, it prevented longitudinal slippage, and provided a way to use up whatever cord was left over from binding the package. It makes it easy to snug the package up close to the stick. It is extremely secure when subjected to the waggling motion, seeming not to slip at all, even after an hour's walking.

Edit: Corrected the name of the gripping sailor's hitch in the title and the body of the post.  The gripping sailor's hitch is a modification (by roo?) of the sailor's hitch. Both names may be due to roo.  The sailor's hitch is shown,  unnamed, in ABoK  1688.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:34:05 AM by dmacdd »

knot4u

Re: good application for sailor gripping hitch
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:47:23 PM »
I'll have to revisit the Sailor Gripping Hitch.  Currently, there are at least three gripping hitches I prefer before this one.

anything