Author Topic: What's the BEST knot to tie of a small jon boat to a big tree on the shore?  (Read 13628 times)

TMCD

When we go camping out and fishing, I've got this situation where I pull the jon boat into the shore line and tie off to a good size tree. My tie off rope is about twenty foot long, leaving me with plenty of line to work with. I recently tied off with a poachers knot or scaffold knot as Budworth refers to it and it worked well. But what would the experts on here use? The tree's to big to tie a snuggle hitch, clove hitch etc. IMO.

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
If I understand correctly you are currently using a slip loop around the tree trunk because the tree is too big to use a clove hitch etc. You might think along the lines of a "tensionless hitch" without the usual wraps - add a small (or whatever size may be useful) loop to the end of your tie off line, take it around the tree and clip a climbing carabiner through the loop and then clip it over the standing part. You can always leave the carabiner attached to your tie off line when not in use. Not strictly a knot perhaps but quick and easy to use and release.

Barry

TMCD

Yes, I'm using the scaffold knot because I can slide it up or down the line for tension. Thanks for your suggestion but I'd prefer to just stay within the realm of knots and rope.

SS369

• Global Moderator
Hello TMCD.

Thinking about your question, what comes to my mind is the need for simplicity and security. I would most likely tie a timber hitch around the tree, but I would add the taking of the WE through the eye that was formed around the SP. I don't think it is necessarily needed. You could just add additional wraps that comprise the eye forming part.
I don't suspect that there will be so much tension on the anchor line that untying will be too troublesome.

Another possibility is a slipped bowline.

Not necessarily the Best, but they're my contribution. Food for thought anyway.

SS

Dan_Lehman

You haven't said, and --tsk,tsk-- Barry didn't ask, What type of cordage
are you using?
 This should be one of the first bits of information
sought in such What knot...? queries.

Although, frankly, I'm puzzled at the described situation posing much
of a quandry --this is a commonplace circumstance amenable to many
solutions.  I am much surprised at your choice of a strangle noose
instead of something more simply tied:  what is your reasoning?
(This noose is not well disposed to hitching to a relatively wide
object, as the (double) strangle knot is pulled open by loading
an end at an angle to a bound object.)

But the obvious questions coming to my mind are:

Why not use a bowline or tautline (rolling) hitch ?
(The latter can be tied/untied under tension; it can also be tied
in the bight (orienting the slack half just out of the way until
the closing half-hitch, and securing that w/a slip-knot. )

Is there much of any need for the rope, even --beyond the obvious
slight (yes?) chance of boat drift ?  I.e., for the most part, the
beaching of the boat is adequate to hold it; the rope ensures
that it stays so, but will often be untensioned beyond setting.

Cheers,
--dl*
====

Dan_Lehman

Huh??

Thinking about your question, what comes to my mind is the need for simplicity and security.

Right on target, here (though we're missing the query re cordage.)
 ;)

I would most likely tie a timber hitch around the tree,
but I would add the taking of the WE through the eye that was formed around the SP.

But here there's more consumption of cordage than needed,
on large trees, for a knot that isn't a hallmark of security, esp.
when slack --and cannot be tied to/under tension.
Now, "the eye that was formed around the S.Part" really
puzzles me, as that eye is typically elongatedly large, not at all
a nipping structure --and it takes even more line to get to this
point.

... wraps that comprise=>compose the eye forming part.
[pet peeve alert!]
Mr. Grammar points out "the whole comprises (all of) the parts,
the parts compose the whole" --and damn the newspeakers who
trespass this important distinction is some lust for a new sound,
or ... (who knows).  (Likewise re "further" : "farther" IS a word
in the series "far"-"farther"-"farthest", indicators of distance or,
metaphorically, *linear* extent.)  Hrrrrmph!   >:(

The fixed gripper hitch should pop up in this discussion were
its discoverer poking around at this time; it, too, can work.
Guarding the strangle with a half-hitch is a way of joining
the frictional nip of the latter with the security of the former.

--dl*
====

SS369

• Global Moderator
Mr. Grammar strikes again.  LOL
Ok,  I'll let spelling/grammar mistakes of others slide if you do Dan. But, I appreciate you doing the teacher thing. Absolutely will try my best to not induce peeve petting again. ;-)

As for the query of cordage, well, I believe that my offering as a possible solution can work regardless of the type rope/cord.
TCMD states that he has ample rope for His task.
Security is ample with either of the tie off methods I offered. Especially if in the case of the Timber hitch if you were to insert the WE through the eye.
If we are talking about saving possibly six inches of rope then my solution fails. ;-)
A nipping structure is not always needed to perform a task.

But, I did include a possibility with a nip to ponder, the slipped bowline.

Truth be known, there are so many knots that would work here. I just offered two that I would consider using, given the OP's question and parameters.

SS

TMCD

We use a 1/4 inch polyester. Its main purpose is for trailering the boat and tying off. It's essential for this rope to be present on the boat. The shoreline isn't a beach or sand unfortunately, the area we're forced to tie off in is actually the corner of the dam. The bank isn't steep but it's full of small rocks, small logs etc., so I can't "beach" the craft if you will. I have to let the boat stay adrift at shores edge.

The scaffold knot did work but it rained that night and it was very difficult to untie the next morning when we went out fishing. But it did exactly the job I was looking for, it kept the rope tight and the boat directly in it's place. I'm a newbie to the world of knotting but have thrown myself into learning as much as possible. My wife thinks I'm nuts and laughed when I couldn't hardly get the scaffold knot untied.

On this camping trip alone, I used the truckers hitch, slipped clove hitch, clove in a bight, and scaffold knot. I don't know how I survived all those years without knowing about knots. I find myself creating situations to use various knots and rope.lol.

dmacdd

• Exp. Member
    • My Knot Pages
 It sounds like you want a big loop,  around a big object, but not tight around it, with the knot on board your boat?

Why is the plain old bowline not sufficient?

If you want something adjustable, (why?) why not an old fashioned rolling hitch or midshipman's hitch around the standing part, with an extra finishing half hitch for security?

knot4u

Bowline, Running Bowline, or Slipped Buntline

TMCD

The rolling hitch or some kind of hitch that slides and grips is ideal for me, it's one reason I used the scaffold knot. With the excessive length of rope, about five feet to much, these slide and grip hitches are ideal for me to manipulate the line taut. I don't think I could get the rope that tight using a regular bowline, there would be some slack. I want the roper suspended in midair after being tied off to the tree....it just occured to me that a truckers hitch would be perfect.lol. that's what I'll use.

Dan_Lehman

The rolling hitch or some kind of hitch that slides and grips is ideal for me,
it's one reason I used the scaffold knot.

Really, though, this is a non-sequitur : the (multiple) strangle knot
isn't much a *friction hitch*!  Yes, it can grip and resist movement,
but it is hardly intended for such function (anglers, now, will take
some issue with this!), and it is at best a cumbersome, poor realization
of this ideal.

With the excessive length of rope --about five feet too much--,
these slide and grip hitches are ideal for me to manipulate the line taut.
I don't think I could get the rope that tight using a regular bowline,
there would be some slack. I want the roper suspended in mid-air after
being tied off to the tree....it just occured to me that a truckers hitch
would be perfect.lol. that's what I'll use.

What's ideal is the rolling (tautline) hitch --consider its name!   ;)
A trucker's hitch is needless, overkill --you might employ it
were you intent upon hauling the boat up onto dry ground,
but you'd be needing ample line for this.  As I noted above,
the tautline hitch can be tied with the bight of rope, sparing
one the awkwardness of working with a lonnnnng tail.  Finish with
a slipped half-hitch (part of the knot, i.e.) in which a slip-knot is
then tied, to prevent loosening.

--dl*
====

knot4u

Your desire to get the line taut wasn't obvious in your original post.  I imagined your boat that could be moving all over the place within, say, a 10 foot radius.  So, I thought getting the line taut would be a waste of time based on what you described originally.

The rolling hitch or some kind of hitch that slides and grips is ideal for me, it's one reason I used the scaffold knot. With the excessive length of rope, about five feet to much, these slide and grip hitches are ideal for me to manipulate the line taut. I don't think I could get the rope that tight using a regular bowline, there would be some slack. I want the roper suspended in midair after being tied off to the tree....it just occured to me that a truckers hitch would be perfect.lol. that's what I'll use.

OK, so you want the line taut.  A fixed loop is obviously not what you want.  There are also better choices than a Scaffold Noose (ABOK #1120).  I'd go with one of these:

Blake Hitch
Adjustable Grip Hitch
Trucker Hitch
Round Turn & Three Half Hitches
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:35:28 PM by knot4u »

[Inkanyezi] gone

• Pro three strand splice
I didn't bite on this one immediately, although I was inclined to do so.

A small jon boat on the shore is a very commonplace thing, and mostly it would not need to be tied up at all, just beaching it is sufficient to keep it in place.

Any token sign of not abandoning can be used, a bowline, or the most common, two half hitches, or another common token impediment is a chain and padlock.

But in essence, the knot would not serve any other purpose than a token, that you did not just abandon the boat, but you cared for it in some sense.

So for just a short time ashore, like going to the grocery shop, I would leave the line in the boat, not tying it to anything at all. If it is to be left till the next day or more, I would probably tie with a bowline or two half hitches, just to show that the boat is intended to stay where it is. If tying it there for prolonged periods, like all summer (except for when it is used) I would maybe use chain and padlock, still as a token, that someone cares for this jon boat and wants it to be there when he comes back.
All images and text of mine published on the IGKT site is licensed according to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Dan_Lehman

I didn't bite on this one immediately, although I was inclined to do so.

A small jon boat on the shore is a very commonplace thing,
and mostly it would not need to be tied up at all,
just beaching it is sufficient to keep it in place.

But you need to read further, as in a later comment there comes
more to the situation --to wit:

I can't "beach" the craft if you will. I have to let the boat stay adrift at shore's edge.

I would likely cast a quick, initial *guard* half-hitch
to take up any strain, and then finish with a taut-line h.
itself perhaps finished with a slip-bight slip-knotted.
(But I think that the possible "strain" here is slight,
unless some power-boaters can throw some wake ... .)

--dl*
====
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:43:05 AM by Dan_Lehman »