Author Topic: ♥gleipnir  (Read 43247 times)

Korg

♥gleipnir
« on: March 26, 2011, 06:10:31 AM »
Was at work yesterday and had the chance to legitimately use the Gleipnir knot.  I was typing up some aluminium poles.
It's funny that these poles now stand in the dock at work, firmly bundled, and nobody else but me knows that they are held together with a knot that was only recently invented.  Everyone else sees it and it's just some poles and some rope.  Every time I see it, it makes me smile.  Ah, the little things.   :)

[Inkanyezi] gone

• Pro three strand splice
Re: ♥gleipnir
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 09:26:39 AM »
I can relate. From unknown to one of my most used knots, this little beauty still impresses me with its simplicity, ease of tying and surprising security
All images and text of mine published on the IGKT site is licensed according to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »
I have recently finished clearing out an overgrown garden and was faced with the prospect of clearing away a great pile of pruned timber and twigs.

I decided to try the Gleipnir using cheap hempen garden twine.

Oh Joy  -  because the knot does not have any hard turns or frictional surfaces as you haul the ends to apply tension, there is no risk of 'chopping' the cord and I could haul full strength to tighten up the loops.  Then, as soon as I relaxed the applied tension the nipping loop clamped closed like a vice and my bundled faggot was neat and tight.

Shifting the bundles to the trailer was an easy job, and when unloaded I found an even greater delight of the Gleipnir - pull on one of the leg loops and it feeds easily through the nip and the knot falls apart.

I agree with Inkanezi it is the  ♥gleipnir   and is easily a serious working knot and has earned a well deserved place in my toolbox.

Derek

knot4u

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »
The Gleipnir is good.  Even better is a related knot known as the Xarax Binder.

Xarax Binder

Xarax Double Binder
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:59:46 PM by knot4u »

TMCD

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 02:31:35 AM »
Can we get several demonstrations on the gleipnir and the xarax binder...I can't find any video's or much info on these rather new knots.

I must say I tied four fishing poles together using the constrictor and the knot had failed by the time I got to the lake. I was using garden twine, that's what I call it and the knot had completely come undone after the poles endured a bumpy ride in the back of the boat. I was lucky I didn't lose some poles.

dmacdd

• Exp. Member
    • My Knot Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 02:51:21 AM »

I think so.

Comparison of the Gleipnir binder and the Xarax binder:

Equally easy to tie
The Xarax binds much more tightly.
The Gleipnir must be supported against a surface of the thing(s) being bound, while the Xarax  holds very well even if it is suspended in mid-air.
The Gleipnir is quite a bit easier to untie, except when the Xarax binder is suspended in air. In the that case you just start by  pulling apart the turns around the Xarax's binding turns.  Any suggestions for easier untying of the Xarax binder when it is supported firmly against a thing being bound?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:56:05 AM by dmacdd »

dmacdd

• Exp. Member
    • My Knot Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 02:55:35 AM »
Can we get several demonstrations on the gleipnir and the xarax binder...I can't find any video's or much info on these rather new knots.

I must say I tied four fishing poles together using the constrictor and the knot had failed by the time I got to the lake. I was using garden twine, that's what I call it and the knot had completely come undone after the poles endured a bumpy ride in the back of the boat. I was lucky I didn't lose some poles.

The constrictor has to be supported throughout the length of the knot by a convex surface, as does the gleipnir binder.

The Xarax binder does not. The knot can be suspended in midair in a gap between the things being bound, or not. It works either way.

dmacdd

• Exp. Member
    • My Knot Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 03:19:43 AM »
Verbal procedure for tying the Xarax binder around, e.g., a bundle of rods:

Use a piece of cord between three and four times the length necessary to pass once around the bundle to be bound after tightening, at least.

1) Take a turn around the bundle, winding up with a shorter end long enough to grasp for tightening at the end of the procedure, and a longer end.
2) Make a round turn around the shorter end with the longer end.
3) With the same longer end, make another turn around the bundle, continuing around the bundle in the same direction around the bundle as the first turn around it but on the side of that first turn that is opposite to the entry into the round turn made around the shorter end by the longer one.
4) Insert the  same longer working end through the round turn made around the other working end in the direction opposite to that other end coming out of it.
5) Tighten by pulling the two ends apart parallel to the bundle so that they are embracing inside the turn around them and so that the pull makes the turn around them perpendicular to the bundle.

Is this comprehensible?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:22:44 AM by dmacdd »

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 05:54:57 AM »

Xarax Binder

Xarax Double Binder

I remain sub-thrilled by the Gleipnir (but I like its name),
having found it wanting esp. in the situation shown in this
image (Knot4U's post).

Nevertheless, there are various ways to employ a turNip
and i.p. in reference to the above image, rotate the right
side's turn (say) 180degrees anti-clockwise.  The point of this
is to have direct tensioning of the turNip upon the hauling
of ends --vs. needing applied force to be transmitted around
the bound object(s).  In this variation of the nipping structure,
one pulls ends against each other perpendicular to the axis
(plane) of tension in the binder; and, principally, the turNip
is pulled (and thus immediately tightened, nb!) towards
the ends, as their material is hauled out through it.

This variant will not suit e.g. Inkanyezi's use on the back of the
bicycle, on the rack, as he has set it up; rather, this is a fully
surrounding structure.

- - - - - - - - -

Dmcadd, I don't know what you're not seeing, but the Gleipnir
most certainly DOES NOT NEED contact with the bound object,
and nips as well in mid-air --that is afterall its claim to fame,
so well holding on dubious-surfaced collections such as the
set of poles Knot4U had (he should've tied off the constrictor
with an overhand finish 'a la tying shoes, reefing (and
the clove hitch would suffice for this)).

--dl*
====

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »
Equally easy to tie

Now this is wrong. Xarax binder might be just as easy as tie as the second gleipnir version presented by Dahm (sheepshank gleipnir?), but not as easy tied as the first one he represented and the most popular one.

Xarax binder need two loops. You can't just pass the working end through the loops either. If you do, the turnip might twist, it won't hold as good and you get the unwanted feature by release when pulling one of the legs. The working end from below has to exit the turnips at the upper part of the turnip. The upper working end has to exit the turnip at the lower part of the turnip.

This is documented at knot4us picture:

Try attaching an object to a vertical pole with a xarax binder and a gleipnir, and you'll see how much more difficult the xarax binder is to tie.

The xarax binder is easy to do wrong, difficult to tie, hard to inspect, hard to undo, but it's a very strong binder and I'm using it.

I agree with Dan_Lehman. The initial purpose of the gleipnir was a flying constrictor.

TMCD

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 02:05:40 PM »
Verbal procedure for tying the Xarax binder around, e.g., a bundle of rods:

Use a piece of cord between three and four times the length necessary to pass once around the bundle to be bound after tightening, at least.

1) Take a turn around the bundle, winding up with a shorter end long enough to grasp for tightening at the end of the procedure, and a longer end.
2) Make a round turn around the shorter end with the longer end.
3) With the same longer end, make another turn around the bundle, continuing around the bundle in the same direction around the bundle as the first turn around it but on the side of that first turn that is opposite to the entry into the round turn made around the shorter end by the longer one.
4) Insert the  same longer working end through the round turn made around the other working end in the direction opposite to that other end coming out of it.
5) Tighten by pulling the two ends apart parallel to the bundle so that they are embracing inside the turn around them and so that the pull makes the turn around them perpendicular to the bundle.

Is this comprehensible?

Thanks for the directions but I'm having a hard time exectuing the steps all the way through. Can someone post a diagram of the gleipnir and xarax binder being tied. Pictures are more friendly to my brain.lol.

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 05:28:47 PM »
Thanks for the directions but I'm having a hard time exectuing the steps all the way through. Can someone post a diagram of the gleipnir and xarax binder being tied. Pictures are more friendly to my brain.lol.

Inkanyezi made a very detailed picture serie of how to tie the gleipnir in an alternative way
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=2262.0

Mr Dahm made pictures of loosely tied gleipnirs. I learned to tie the knot by copying his pictures.
http://picasaweb.google.com/ardahm/Knots#5373402344759689186
http://picasaweb.google.com/ardahm/Knots#5373402358843674962

Link to Mr Dahms representation and instructions for the knot: http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1449.msg10063#msg10063

"Here goes my attempt at a description.  Take the rope twice around object to be tied. In the middle of the bite pinch rope and twist 270 degrees forming a loop perpendicular to the rope, with its opening parallel to the rope.  (This loop is comparable to the loops in a Sheepshank.)  Pass both bitter ends through the loop going in opposite directions.  Hold bitter ends in both hands and pull tightly.  When pulling the bitter ends apart, the two sections of rope which circumscribe the object will close on object.  On releasing tension from the two bitter ends the knot or twisted loop will squeeze the bitter ends tightly and hold fast.  I know this sounds too simple to work.  But it does."

The xarax binder is a bit more complex to tie and explain.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:53:27 PM by Hrungnir »

knot4u

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »
For me, the Xarax Binder is no more difficult to tie than the Gleipnir Binder.  For the purpose of explanation, let's say there's one standing end and one working end.

1.  Stick one or two fingers along the standing end.
2.  Form the middle wraps around your finger(s) and the standing end.  I prefer two wraps.
2.  Bring the working end around the object and weave it through the two wraps where your fingers are.

I tie the Gleipnir Binder in this same simple manner.  However, I have not found a need for the Gleipnir Binder because of the Xarax Binder.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:47:08 PM by knot4u »

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
For me, the Xarax Binder is no more difficult to tie than the Gleipnir Binder.  For the purpose of explanation, let's say there's one standing end and one working end.

1.  Stick one or two fingers along the standing end as I form the middle wraps.  I prefer two wraps.  The wraps go around both my finger(s) and the standing end.
2.  Bring the working end around the object and weave it through the two wraps where my fingers are.

I tie the Gleipnir Binder in this same simple manner.  However, I have not found a need for the Gleipnir Binder because of the Xarax Binder.

The 7th of january Xarax corrected me when I posted a picture of his binder. You can't just "weave it through the wraps", like I did in my picture.

His private message:
Quote from: Xarax
Almost...  Reverse the relative position of the two tails before they exit the knot s nub, so they cross better. I can send you a e-mail if you wish.

You'll see this if you compare Dahms simple gleipnir with Xaraxs binder. The tails exits the knots nub differently, and it matters for the behavior of the xarax binder.

knot4u

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 09:52:10 PM »
You can't just "weave it through the wraps", like I did in my picture.

I just tied the Xarax Binder five times how I explained above.  I tied it in the same manner on a horizontal object as well as a vertical object.

Practice.  Good luck.

anything