Author Topic: Bottle vs. Constrictor  (Read 3929 times)

Morgoroth

Bottle vs. Constrictor
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:53:55 AM »
What is different about the uses of these two knots?
I know they are tied differently, and I can think of a couple areas where the constrictor would be more useful but, is there an area where the bottle knot would be better?

It seems the constrictor can hold tighter than the bottle in my limited experience, but with the bottle you get a handle.

Is that the only advantage of the bottle knot over the constrictor?

knot4u

Re: Bottle vs. Constrictor
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:46:57 AM »
The Jug Sling Hitch (ABOK #1142) fills a niche for jug/bottle openings.  The Jug Sling makes a nicely balanced system for toting a jug/bottle.  I use this knot often for carrying water bottles.  It forms a death grip on the bottle that provides more security and more confidence than does the Constrictor.  Sure, you could use a Constrictor if you can't memorize the Jug Sling.  However, for the specific purpose of hanging a jug/bottle with balance and security, the Jug Sling is far superior.

Generally, the Jug Sling is superior where one needs a balanced knot on a convex surface.  The business portion of the Jug Sling is balanced across opposing sides.  The business portion of the Constrictor is unbalanced on one side.  As another example of when I would use the Jug Sling is if I'm hoisting a barrel/bucket.  Instead of using a Barrel Hitch (which I don't like), I'd tie a Jug Sling if the barrel/bucket has any kind of lip on it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:10:36 AM by knot4u »

xarax

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:31:35 AM »
The business portion of the Constrictor is unbalanced on one side.

Could you, please, explain this ? When the Constrictor is used as a binder, it is equally "balanced" on both sides, is nt it ?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:45:37 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

Morgoroth

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »
I think he may be using the loop and the free ends to support the load of the bottle hitch instead of just the loop, which would balance things out.

I think.....

knot4u

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 03:29:14 AM »
The business portion of the Constrictor is unbalanced on one side.

Could you, please, explain this ? When the Constrictor is used as a binder, it is equally "balanced" on both sides, is nt it ?

I think you're just being difficult...

The Jug Sling has crossing patterns on each side of the object (e.g., lip of bottle).  The Constrictor does not have such balance; its crossing pattern is on one side of the object.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:05:27 AM by knot4u »

Morgoroth

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 12:31:41 PM »
The constrictor hitch seems to hold more force than the bottle knot, but it does not have the convenience of a "handle."
That is the only functional difference I can discern.

I was also confused by what you meant about the knot being balanced.

knot4u

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 04:33:02 PM »
LOL... Nobody here sees how the Jug Sling has crossing patterns on both sides, while the Constrictor has crossing patterns only on one side?

Morgoroth

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 04:51:30 PM »
LOL... Nobody here sees how the Jug Sling has crossing patterns on both sides, while the Constrictor has crossing patterns only on one side?

I see that.  I just thought you where talking about balancing the load.  Like to hold it level or something.

xarax

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
   I think you're just being difficult...
   The Jug Sling has crossing patterns on each side of the object (e.g., lip of bottle).  The Constrictor does not have such balance; its crossing pattern is on one side of the object.

Sorry, knot4u, I am NOT difficult...not at all !  :) I just didin t get it. I see what you mean now, thanks.
This is not a knot.