Author Topic: What knot(s) should I use; or, how should I go about tying the Xmas Tree?  (Read 3023 times)

ElSid

I have a large, 7' artificial Xmas Tree that I store in a large, rectangular cardboard box (5' - 6' bulging diameter in the middle; 4' -5' at top and bottom) that has just about seen its last days.  I've used electrical tape to "cinch" it up a little, but I'd like to use rope instead.  I'd like to be able to loop a rope (or 3-ropes) in 3 places (top, middle & bottom) of the large box and tie it tightly and securely so that I could pull one end to tighten it fastly w/o it slipping.  Then, if I could run a rope through all the 3 tied off areas so I could pick up the 7' rectangular box horizontally, it would be easy to carry and still be tightly secured.  I appreciate any suggestions. :-\
El Sid

knot4u

I have a large, 7' artificial Xmas Tree that I store in a large, rectangular cardboard box (5' - 6' bulging diameter in the middle; 4' -5' at top and bottom) that has just about seen its last days.  I've used electrical tape to "cinch" it up a little, but I'd like to use rope instead.  I'd like to be able to loop a rope (or 3-ropes) in 3 places (top, middle & bottom) of the large box and tie it tightly and securely so that I could pull one end to tighten it fastly w/o it slipping.  Then, if I could run a rope through all the 3 tied off areas so I could pick up the 7' rectangular box horizontally, it would be easy to carry and still be tightly secured.  I appreciate any suggestions. :-\
El Sid

There are probably many viable knot solutions, but please clarify:

1.  What is "it" that you are cinching with the electric tape?

2.  What kind of rope do you currently have?  How long?

3.  Are you trying to reuse this tree for the future?  Or are you just trying to haul the tree to the dump in one piece?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:11:25 PM by knot4u »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
I have a large, 7' artificial Xmas Tree that I store in a large, rectangular cardboard box (5' - 6' bulging diameter in the middle; 4' -5' at top and bottom) that has just about seen its last days.  I've used electrical tape to "cinch" it up a little, but I'd like to use rope instead.  I'd like to be able to loop a rope (or 3-ropes) in 3 places (top, middle & bottom) of the large box and tie it tightly and securely so that I could pull one end to tighten it fastly w/o it slipping.  Then, if I could run a rope through all the 3 tied off areas so I could pick up the 7' rectangular box horizontally, it would be easy to carry and still be tightly secured.  I appreciate any suggestions. :-\
El Sid

For the three stabilizers:
http://notableknotindex.webs.com/Versatackle.html
(first diagram)

For slinging a box:
http://notableknotindex.webs.com/boxsling.html
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

SS369

• Global Moderator
Hello ElSid and welcome to the forum.

I would probably use a timber hitch on one end, snug tight, then a series of cinched up half hitches along the box and then finish with a timber hitch again. If you have some surplus cord after this you can go back the first end, tie it to itself and use it for a carrying handle.

Hope this helps.

SS

Dan_Lehman

I cannot picture this tree:  7' tall, yet 4-5' (FEET) DIAMETER top & bottom,
and wider between?  --not to mention that rectangles aren't usually spec'd
with diameters.   ;)

--dl*
====

ElSid

To clarify:  the artificial Xmas Tree is in a dilapidated cardboard box.  The Xmas tree is one of those collapsable limbs w/lights.  It comes in 3 sections, you collapse the branches, lights, etc., upward and stuff each section in the original cardboard box.  After the years, the box is well-worn and the tree won't fit in it anymore.  So, I force it in the best that I can and the box has a big bulge in the middle.  The box is 7' tall.  In the middle of the box, the circumference is probably 4' and each end is probably 3'.  I used electrical tape to try to "skinny it up" in the middle, plus to keep it from falling apart.  A rope would work much better, but it's very difficult to manipulate the rope because the box is so heavy and large.  Looping rope around the box is hard.  But, I'm not very good with rope/knots, that's what I'm trying to improve (an ability to work with knots and ropes).  Any hints for becoming better with knots, ties, ropes, cords, etc., would be helpful.  I've checked out some books from the local library on knots.  They're beginning to help, but I can see, ropes/knots are not all that easy to learn.  Thanks for all of the responses and questions.
Sid

SS369

• Global Moderator
Hello ElSid.

Raise the box on one end with a little something large enough to allow the passing of the cord/rope you will use. Try out my suggestions and see if you can make that work. If not, report back and we'll try again. The knots that I recommended are amongst the simplest.

Get this down and we'll move on to tougher knots. ;-)))

SS