Author Topic: WHIPPING  (Read 2260 times)

BKspirit

WHIPPING
« on: July 19, 2011, 02:42:10 AM »
Hello All-

I'm new to your Guild and was very pleased to find it! I've been sailing for many years with my husband Peter. Peter is now ill and I'm building a new business, making jewelry, pet collars + belts out of colorful nautical line. MY PROBLEM: I need to speed-up the whipping process>  I'm looking for a machine or an instrument to whip 3/16", 1/4" and 3/8" line. ANY IDEAS?

Many Thanks,
Beth

bowline

Re: WHIPPING
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:41:36 AM »
Gudday Beth
Don't know if it is of any help but two devices I have used for holding thread for whipping thin cord are the Tatting Bobbin and the Fly Tyer's bobbin. Both can hold a reasonable length of thread and are not terribly expensive. Fly Tyer's has advantage that it uses sewing machine bobbins--- so you can load up a whole series with different threads.
Cheers
Frank

BKspirit

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice bowline!

Rrok007

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:59 PM »
Have you considered employing the neighbor kids? $0.10 towards the ice cream man for end whipped... Gets the work done for you, gives the kids work experience (and maybe gets them interested in ropework!) and helps keep the ice cream man employed.

BKspirit

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »
Hello Rrok007,
You are so right! That was my first thought, to help the local teenagers... I really want to help build jobs in this economy too. But, I have a potential large retail client and I'll have to be nimble and able to fill (hopefully) large orders. I'm very excited about this venture and I am trying to keep everything authentic (waxed twine, marine-grade hardware, etc). I will see how it goes and let you know- it all depends on demand. Thanks for your comments and help!

BKspirit

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
Hello Rrok007,
Oh, just to be clear- the teenagers and other adult employees are MANUALLY creating the rope bracelets, necklaces, belts etc... it is the WHIPPING part of the process ONLY that I'm concerned about labor and time!
Thanks,
BKSpirit

Rrok007

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:19:37 PM »
I hadn't thought about teenagers, but yeah, I guess you're right. Little kids will probably be cheaper though, you know.. ice cream man money versus car money. Sorry if I keep hampering on the ICM thing, we had a truck roll through my neighborhood and I haven't seen one in years. Almost made me want to run out there with a hand full of bills and start picking out choices.

Well I hope all goes well for you, and when this big job of yours is completed, I hope you consider the Etsy website to further assist in your economic needs. I'm considering opening a site on there soon. I know there's quite a number of knot and rope folks on there.

wizardcrafts

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 10:02:23 AM »
May I ask what you are whipping? If it is the end of the bracelet or necklace then it is a small cord and small diameter to cover. I have seen a large sea fishing open faced reel used to make long whippings. The work is held with the cord trapped on the side of the work then the reel is turned forward (i.e. pulling line in) and the tension on the spool of cord is adjusted to allow it to be pulled off tight onto the work. The loop is used at the end to pull the end of the cord through to the middle of the whipping and both ends are cut flush. I hope this helps, if you know a budding mechanical engineer. Lonnie

KnotMe

• The Dao of Silk
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »
This might do the trick, but also might not apply enough tension
http://www.cosmtools.com/conair_wrap_braider.html

BKspirit

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 05:30:40 AM »
Thanks Much KnotMe and Wizardcrafts!
I appreciate the input and will follow-up with you once I find-out what works.

Sincerely BKspirit