Author Topic: Short Knot Survey/Game  (Read 2193 times)

adalew

Short Knot Survey/Game
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:03:14 AM »
Hi All,

I'm a graduate student at the University of Washington (Seattle, USA) studying information management. I would be grateful if you could take a moment to help us.

My group has put together 2 preliminary knot based card sorts. A card sort just means dragging little cards--each with a knot name or picture--and dropping them into a group/category. It's fairly intuitive.

The first card sort will probably take ~5 min. We ask that you drag a knot photo into 1 of 3 skill levels. Here is the link:
https://4i5665b4.optimalworkshop.com/optimalsort/3b8ykrv5

The second card sort is a good way to check your knot knowledge, and will probably take ~10 minutes. We ask that you move knot names into various categories or make your own.  Here is the link:
https://4i5665b4.optimalworkshop.com/optimalsort/30f3278i

They are both completely anonymous and no personal info is taken or required. If possible, please recruit others to try the card sorts. It seems like an entertaining way to brush up on some knot recognition. :)

The end goal is to help people find a knot that will work for their situation.

Thank you for your help!

enhaut

• Exp. Member
Re: Short Knot Survey/Game
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »
I did the first part out of curiosity and found nowhere the credits for the photos you are presenting, since I recognize the work of a well known contributor here  (Xarax) I wonder if you had the common sense to ask him first if he was ok with your site using his work.
Thanks in advance for replying.

xarax

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »
  ( As I had said many times, I strongly believe that the pictures of the knots belong to the knots themselves  :)  :), and to the knot tyers community as a whole  - so nobody should claim any "copyright", and anybody can use them as he wishes. Especially if he wishes to use them in a way that can  " Promote(s) research into ... aspects of knotting " ( IGKT task ).

I had never understood why people categorize knots according to their "context" ( ? ?  ). Perhaps this fashion was initiated by Ashley s book, and his second chapter on "Occupational knots". However, I have seen that I am not alone on this, because, in the most well-known site on knots ( NOT the best one ! Popularity has no relation whatsoever with quality, as we all know...), I read :     

" Global Search: In response to many requests, we have added a Search Field on the left."
   http://www.animatedknots.com/

So, now one can click on the "Find a knot" icon on the left column, under the red icon "Home Page" with the Carrick bend image, open the window, and select one of the following categories of the list :
   Knots by name, End loops, Mid-Rope loops, Bends, Hitches, Mats, Stoppers, Slide and Grip.
   Still a half-baked list, but much more useful than the one offered by the icons on the top of the screen :
   Arborist, Basic, Boating, Climbing, Decorative. ... Rope Care...Various.

The "type of knot" (#1) and/or the "Employment" (#4) categories are much more useful, IMHO. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:07:14 AM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

enhaut

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:08:27 PM »
Very calm here  :)
Just this;
Giving proper photo credits is one way to say ?thank you? to other people online
and this;
http://www.designformankind.com/2011/03/lets-talk-photo-crediting/
and I will add that if the guy (lady?) had the sense to add photo credits to his page IGKT and Troc site would have gain benefits (clicks back).

adalew

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 08:19:12 AM »
Thanks everyone, for your help! The card sort results are useful!

We certainly didn't mean to cause any kerfuffle. We are only testing the waters here. Our OptimalWorkshop free educational account is limited to 10 completed card sorts per survey, and we have only posted here on this site. That said, we are very grateful for the existing photos and thank Xarax for the gracious response.

We are experimenting with a categorization method so that a person unfamiliar with knots, knot names, and knot terms may be able to find a knot that is useful for that user's particular time, place, and need. There are many excellent knot resources and apps currently out there, so we'll see where this exploration takes us.

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been working full time and we just finished midterms. 

I've noticed in the ABOK on pg 27 there are some categories (important, unimportant, strong, weak, etc...). I don't see any index for the knots Ashley has distinguished with these categories. Seems like that would be interesting and maybe useful. Odd that it's not included.

capellagroup

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 03:02:29 AM »
Yeah.  I did the second part; the first was closed.  I am always bemused by the need to categorise knots into occupational uses.  As a cliff climber in the Commando, I used bowlines, round turn/2 half hitches and all sorts of knots in climbing.  I use prussics and rollingr hitches while sailing.  My turksheads and manropes are frequently decorative stoppers: are they decorative, or stoppers?  I just love showing off my knots.  They do their jobs and I don't much care what category of audience they have.

But good luck with your project.