Author Topic: Siberian Hitch v. Slipped Figure Eight Noose (ABOK #1116)  (Read 6078 times)

knot4u

Siberian Hitch v. Slipped Figure Eight Noose (ABOK #1116)
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:09:24 PM »
I've been a fan of the Siberian Hitch, but it may have to be replaced by the Slipped Figure Eight Noose (ABOK #1116) on my favorites list.  My brief testing shows that a Slipped Fig8 Noose is better as an anchor hitch.  The Slipped Fig8 Noose tends to capsize into a tight, secure, acceptable dressing.  In contrast, on wide objects, the Siberian Hitch tends to capsize into a dressing that is open and quite different than the original dressing, making me uneasy.

Siberian Hitch

Fig8 Noose (ABOK #1116), BUT ADD A SLIP
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:45:36 PM by knot4u »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Siberian Hitch v. Figure Eight Noose (ABOK #1116)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 09:56:42 PM »
I've been a fan of the Siberian Hitch, but it may have to be replaced by the Figure Eight Noose (ABOK #1116) on my favorites list.  My brief testing shows that a Slipped Fig8 Noose is better as an anchor hitch.  The Slipped Fig8 Noose tends to capsize into a tight, secure, acceptable dressing.  In contrast, on wide objects, the Siberian Hitch tends to capsize into a dressing that is open and quite different than the original dressing, making me uneasy.

Fig8 Noose (ABOK #1116), Non-slipped

I just tried this noose twice to make sure I wasn't tying it wrong, and both times it suddenly capsized into a jammed form when pulled hard.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

knot4u

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:13:19 PM »
I just tried this noose twice to make sure I wasn't tying it wrong, and both times it suddenly capsized into a jammed form when pulled hard.

No, tie a Slipped Fig8 Noose.  I don't have a diagram of the slipped form.  I'm surprise that I've seen so many endorsements for the Siberian when this similar but more secure hitch has been out there.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:39:02 PM by knot4u »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:45:27 PM »
No, tie a Slipped Fig8 Noose.  I don't have a diagram of the slipped form.  
OK.  The slipped form is almost like a slightly more complex version of the Slipped Buntline Hitch.  But when the slipped #1116 is pulled hard, it capsizes to a jammed form where the draw loop no longer functions.

The Slipped Buntline Hitch doesn't have this problem.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

knot4u

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:48:31 PM »
No, tie a Slipped Fig8 Noose.  I don't have a diagram of the slipped form.  
OK.  The slipped form is almost like a slightly more complex version of the Slipped Buntline Hitch.  But when the slipped #1116 is pulled hard, it capsizes to a jammed form where the draw loop no longer functions.

The Slipped Buntline Hitch doesn't have this problem.

The Slipped Buntline is in a class by itself.  I'm not comparing the Slipped Buntline, which is preferable to just about any other hitch almost all the time.

I'm comparing a Slipped #1116 to the Siberian.  I have not experienced anything close to a jam after quite a bit of testing.  Can anybody else out there get a Slipped #1116 to jam on them?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 11:54:46 PM by knot4u »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 11:54:29 PM »
  I have not experienced the jammed form after quite a bit of testing.  Are you sure you can't get it loose?  Come on.  Put in a little muscle.
I'm pretty sure.  Do you have any small-diameter nylon braid you can use, say 3/16" diameter?  If so, tie the rope to two bars.  Hold one bar under your toes, and hold the other bar with your hands over your knees and do a seated calf raise exercise to produce some high strain.

Although I've never snapped a rope doing this, it's good to mind the recoil potential when conducting this test.

Related:  http://notableknotindex.webs.com/gnathitch.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:27:33 PM by roo »

Notable Knot Index

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
Re: Siberian Hitch v. Slipped Figure Eight Noose (ABOK #1116)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:51:03 AM »
I managed to get the jammed form in one of two attempts. I didn't need to involve my back and legs to get that form either. The strands on the rope got all messed up when pulling the slip really hard. The messed up strands would have worked as a stopper if I could pull the slip that far.

I assume the HFP Slippery 8 won't be a suitable replacement as you can't close the eye by pulling the standing part.

anything