Author Topic: What's the secure way to tie off a trucker's hitch  (Read 15193 times)

TMCD

What's the secure way to tie off a trucker's hitch
« on: January 20, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »
This is the way I'll handle my ladders on top of my van from now on, but what's the best series of knots/hitches/loops to use? The standard seems to be tying a slippery hitch and then two half hitches....I'm probably wrong but I've seen it done on the internet in this fashion a lot. Thnks in advance.

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
Re: What's the secure way to tie off a trucker's hitch
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:23:36 PM »
For the locking hitch, the best alternative I know of is Two Half Hitches. You will loose tension if you try tying another knot, like the Buntline.

For the inline loop, I know of two alternatives. The Alpine Butterfly Loop or the Directional Figure Eight.

For the anchor, I would prefer a Slipped Buntline, but you could also use a Bowline. Figure Eight On The Bight is a quik and secure anchor, if the rack allows you to tie it.

A Slippery Hitch is just a slipped Clove Hitch? It doesn't sound like the right option if security is important.

[Inkanyezi] gone

• Pro three strand splice
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »
I usually finish with one slipped half hitch, which has always been enough. If I should be wary of tampering or snagging, I would drop the end throgh the bight of the 'slip' and draw it fairly small.
All images and text of mine published on the IGKT site is licensed according to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »
This is the way I'll handle my ladders on top of my van from now on, but what's the best series of knots/hitches/loops to use? The standard seems to be tying a slippery hitch and then two half hitches....I'm probably wrong but I've seen it done on the internet in this fashion a lot. Thnks in advance.

Another option:  If you use two loops first, to setup a self-locking Versatackle, no tying off is required:

http://notableknotindex.webs.com/Versatackle.html

And you get higher tension, and you don't have to worry about a lack of dexterity costing you tension.  If you're always using this for your ladders, you can leave the two loops in place once you perfect the positioning of the loops.   You might also consider make the rope just long enough for this dedicated purpose.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

knot4u

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 04:04:49 PM »
Best combination...  ;D

Start = Any hitch that works
Loop = Span Loop
Finish = Two Half Hitches on a slip

Related thread...
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1870.msg12639#msg12639
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:28:48 AM by knot4u »

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »
Hello Roo,

is this really and truly correct > "Another option:  If you use two loops first, to setup a self-locking Versatackle, no tying off is required:" ?
I'm skeptical and I'll try to answer my question myself first, but I do want your input.

SS

[Inkanyezi] gone

• Pro three strand splice
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »
The versatackle self-locks when there is a sufficient number of turns in the purchase. The mechanism is friction in the purchase and narrowing of the loops when tensioned. But for anyone wanting it more secure, it is easy to finish off with a half hitch around it and it is amply secure.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:55:37 PM by Inkanyezi »
All images and text of mine published on the IGKT site is licensed according to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:18:43 PM »
is this really and truly correct > "Another option:  If you use two loops first, to setup a self-locking Versatackle, no tying off is required:" ?
I'm skeptical and I'll try to answer my question myself first, but I do want your input.
Yes, the Versatackle is self-locking.  I encourage you to try it yourself so you can see how the final change of direction buries itself under the previous pass as you pull the free end.

Yet, despite this burying, the thing can be untied by reversing course with the free end.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:39:33 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

TMCD

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:21:40 AM »
I'm having a hard time tying the final two half hitches while still maintaining good tension. I'm pinching the bight too, just a little awkward getting this thing tied off the way I want it. After tying off, I can actually manipulate the bight and tighten the rope accordingly, but I'm sure this is wrong. Somebody help me out here, I'm very new to knots but practice every night.

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 06:31:39 AM »
I'm having a hard time tying the final two half hitches while still maintaining good tension.

Without some detail, I can't picture your rigging.  Last time I checked,
you were dealing with a side part that had but a hole in it for rope
purchase, and that came at a height about the same as the ladder
when laid on the rack.

So, where are you putting rope and all.  (A photo would be great,
even if it is one referred to from some rack-sales site or other.)

--dl*
====

TMCD

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »
Dan,
I'm actually practicing the trucker's hitch on my kitchen table chairs. I'm running the rope through the top handle of two opposing chairs. I haven't even tried to tie down the two ladders because the weather is rotten outside...we just got five inches of snow yesterday.

I've figured the basics of this hitch out, I can tie it using the butteryfly loop, fig8, or slippery hitch with a twist. I'm having a problem getting the thing tied off good and tight when tying the half hitch or two half hitches in the final step. Sorry about not being clear.

Hrungnir

• Exp. Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »
You have to pull the working end real hard when tightening, then pinch the bight (on two points) just where it enters the loop and where it leaves the loop. In this state you won't get the truckers hitch any tighter than this, and by pinching you are holding all the tension in place. Use your other hand to tie two half hitches as a lock. Don't stop pinching before the half hitches are properly tightened.

If you need any more tension than this, you should go with the Versatackle as suggested by roo.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:44:38 PM by Hrungnir »

TMCD

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »
I don't need the versatackle, although I need to learn that hitch because I don't know how to tie at the moment. I'm going to be eventually tying down two ladders using the trucker's hitch, one on each side of my van's ladder rack.

Regarding the rope I'm using at the moment, it is a fairly well worn rope having come out of my jon boat. That's probably a big issue, what type of rope is best for outdoor use such as fishing and tying off ladders? There's lots of different roping on the market and some of it is garbage IMO, very tough to tie good knots with.

I've watched that video at least a dozen times, it looks like he's tying a twistadore, then a half hitch, then comes through and ties a couple of half hitches on the bottom??? He sure as hell gets a tight tie and pull.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:33:39 PM by TMCD »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »
In the video, it's not a Twistedore.
Before this continues and gets out of hand; where are you getting your definition of what a "Twistedore" is?

Notable Knot Index

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 11:24:44 PM »
In the video, it's not a Twistedore.
Before this continues and gets out of hand; where are you getting your definition of what a "Twistedore" is?

I defined "Twistedore" above in reference to posted videos.  It's basically Stevedore slip loop, but tied haphazardly and possibly with more wraps.
But you just posted, "in the video, it's not a Twistedore".  If what you have in mind is a slipped Stevedore knot, it'd be clearer to call it that.

Notable Knot Index

anything