Author Topic: What is this knot called?  (Read 2538 times)


  • Guest
What is this knot called?
« on: January 29, 2006, 03:57:56 PM »
I have been looking for the name this knot a long time. Cannot find it. I'd like to make myself some cufflinks like that. I know how to do the monkeys fist, but the other one (on the left) is  mystery to me. If someone knows the name of this knot and maybe even a way to tie it, I would be grateful for help.


  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 432
  • knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
Re: What is this knot called?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 04:49:11 PM »
Welcome Lennyb,
As far as I can see from this position it is one of the coiled knots, but without seeing the ends I can not say any more. Is it solid string or is it coiled around something else?
What do the ends (top and bottom in your photos) look like?
Is the flipside the same as the side shown?
Do you know where it has been made, like does it come from China or Europe?

Even if we know all the answers to the questions above it might be hard to tell you the name, though we might be able to find it in the books.
But the chances of us being able to tell you how to tie it are much better.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 04:50:47 PM by Willeke »
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: What is this knot called?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:34:48 PM »
Hi LennyB,

This cufflink looks pretty.  I'm not sure how the 'stripy' part is made so, like Willeke was saying, we could do with a bit mor info.  Looking at the size of the cord used I'm guess ing that it has been tied round something other than itself.  As for the 'knob' knot, this doesn't look like a 'Monkey's Fist' from the angle given.  I would guess at it being a 'Diamond Knot' or 'Manrope Knot'.  Again, with out seeing other angles of the cufflink, it is only a guess.  :D


  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 598
    • The Dao of Silk
Re: What is this knot called?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 09:10:29 AM »
The button part looks an awful lot like the standard Chinese button knot (aka. the 2 strand diamond, the knife lanyard, etc.: as previously mentioned.  From this angle, the crossbar part of it looks like the cord is snailed (coiled and glued) around a central cylinder.  The ends look a little too neat to be, say, an extra long 2 strand matthew walker (aka. extended double connection knot: