Author Topic: Hanging a Hammock and Tarp  (Read 10721 times)

knot4u

Hanging a Hammock and Tarp
« on: January 12, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »
I know there's HammockForums.com, but I want to hear from knot snobs.  :)

What would be your method of hanging a travel/lightweight hammock on 2 trees or 2 poles?  How would you hang your tarp?  What knots, equipment and rope would you use?  Would you use straps, instead of rope around the tree?  Or would just use rope to save carry weight?  Please describe your whole setup at least briefly.

The idea here is that your carrying the equipment around.  You won't have all the bells and whistles for your hammock that you may have at home.  I'm interested in minimalism here.  I went to Youtube for some education on travel hammocks.  I watched about 20 videos.  I was disappointed overall, especially with the poor knot tying methods.  If someone could point me to a good video, I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:09:34 PM by knot4u »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Hanging a Hammock and Tarp
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
What would be your method of hanging a travel/lightweight hammock on 2 trees or 2 poles?  How would you hang your tarp?  What knots, equipment and rope would you use?  Would you use straps, instead of rope around the tree?  Or would just use rope to save carry weight?  Please describe your whole setup at least briefly.

The idea here is that your carrying the equipment around.  You won't have all the bells and whistles for your hammock that you may have at home.  I'm interested in minimalism here.
On the hammock, it'd probably depend on the roughness and number of branches on the tree.  It'd also depend on the rope type.  I might be tempted to tie a Slippery 8 Loop at the interface between the rope and the hammock, so I don't have to re-tie it each time I place the hammock.  Then, I might just use a simple Timber Hitch or a Slipped Buntline Hitch  for the tree.  If things start sliding down the tree, a round turn around the tree may need to be added, but it doesn't seem likely that a more advanced friction hitch would be needed.  I could be wrong.

Although the tarp issue seems too open-ended to approach here, I'd likely opt for a different tensioning system here, since a Slippery 8 Loop doesn't have an easy means of release while loaded.  Pulley-simulating systems would be more appropriate.  For the static (without the tensioning system) sides of the tarp, a Slipped Buntline Hitch would function well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:36:08 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

[Inkanyezi] gone

• Pro three strand splice
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »
Tarps mostly have convenient eyelets; I imagine a modern light tarp made of some kind of plastic. Often however, the eyelet can be gone for some reason or not in the right position for an attachment; maybe one would prefer to put a bridle to more than one point where there are no holes, or one could opt for attaching a cord to the centre to lift it so that water runs off.

Then I use a small object, as a pebble, inserted from one side and tie the string around it on the other side, so it acts like a button. No hole to let water through, and a secure fastening that will not be ripped out of the tarp as easily as a riveted eyelet.
All images and text of mine published on the IGKT site is licensed according to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Benboncan

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:29:59 PM »
What sort of cordage are you thinking of using ?

knot4u

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 07:30:54 PM »
What sort of cordage are you thinking of using ?

I'm using 550 paracord because that's what I've seen others use.  Do you have any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:31:53 PM by knot4u »

Benboncan

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 07:59:42 PM »
Do you have any other suggestions?

No that is what I use as well. Will post again tomorrow, I need to take a photo in daylight, tried with flash but it didn't turn out well,later.

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:03:19 PM »
I have a small light weight net style hammock that I infrequently take hiking. With it I carry what I hope (and it has been) two sufficient lengths of 5mm BlueWater Titan cord.
Taking a cord, go around the tree or whatever a couple of times, using up surplus and spreading the load, I then tie a Blake's hitch as I have found that it grips to the parent cord very well. Repeat with the second cord. Or just do it on the one and tie off with a timber hitch. Make sure to add the stopper as shown in the accompanying picture.

Test accordingly and tighten as needed.

SS

asemery

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:06:27 PM »
A "whoopie sling" is another solution
http://whoopieslings.com/
Here's how to make one yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9L9d85XriY&feature=related
Google whoopie sling for other links.  Tony

Benboncan

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 07:08:17 PM »
I like the ridgeline of the tarp tight so use a trucker's hitch to tighten it. Because this hitch is not kind to cordage I used to carry two carabiners to clip into the loops. This has been further modified by incorporating two countersunk sheaves into the loops ( butterfly ) reducing friction losses and even kinder to the cord. The sheave to the left is in a sling which I tie to the tree, the shackle is to be replaced with an aluminium ring made from thick walled aluminium tube which will also be countersunk and made smooth. The sheaves were rescued from a discarded venetian blind found in a skip.

I havent slept in a hammock for a very long time so I can't comment on that aspect, if your tarp rests on the ridgeline I would suggest that you dangle a piece of cord as a drip line so that water doesn't get under the tarp.

Hope this helps.

Edit

Inserting image doesn't seem to work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benboncan/5360273853/

« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:16:49 PM by Benboncan »

knot4u

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »

Benboncan

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
Nice!  Is that one continuous piece of rope?  Or is it two?

Two, a sling on the left and the long ridgeline to the right.

sbachar

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 05:51:29 PM »
I backpack a few times a year using a lightweight hammock. I have found that a couple of turns around the tree and an adjustable grip hitch does very well.  Always a good idea when going around the tree to put a small piece of tarp or other protection between the rope and the tree so no damage is done.

Mike

• Exp. Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 04:07:27 AM »
On the tarp, what about just anchoring one end of your rope and then run the other end through the eyelet in the tarp, using the eyelet the same way you would use the loop in the truckers hitch.  Just pull it tight, pinch and put a couple half hitches.  Anyone see anything negative about this method?