Author Topic: I love bends  (Read 38892 times)

xarax

Re: I love bends
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »
 :)
   Indeed, it is one of the shortest/fattest bends I know, and it is very easy to tie it any time - provided you have its picture/tying diagram in hand at this time, of course !  :) The aspect ratio of length to width is almost one, which makes it almost spherical. One should expect this, because, if you just count how many segments are engulfed into the first curves when it is loose and "flat", you will see that, even when it will become tight and spherical, they can not but force those first curves to be very wide, and the whole nub to be very round (*). That happens in all Pretzel-to-Pretzel bends, where the Pretzels are interwoven within each other so much - and which are the most difficult to remember how to tie, and to tie, bends...
   In the one of the three forms ( depending on which ends are loaded ) it remains rounder than in its reverse and the third, the less symmetric one : when the Standing Ends are the two ends which stem from the back of the nub, as shown at the picture ( i.e., the upper left and the lower right ones ), the loaded bend does not deform very much from the initial round form. However, when the Standing Ends are the two ends that stem from the central opening at the front of the nub ( the lower left and the upper right ones ), the loaded bend becomes more elongated - it acquires an oval shape.
   I believe that most Pretzel-to-Pretzel bends are so difficult to remember how to tie them, and they require so many tucks to actually tie them, that they belong to the Decorative, and not to Practical knots. See (1) for the most symmetric one that I know, the Hexagram bend.

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4215

(*) This is a way to force the Standing Parts to follow wide first curves : "feed" the space in between the two "hooked" first curves with as many segments as you can : with the Tail Ends, for starters, but also with additional paths of the Standing Parts. The first curves will be forced to go around all those segments, and so they will become, and they remain so, very wide.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:33:41 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

Ruby

• Exp. Member
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2014, 03:58:47 PM »
I didn't know that it's called Hexagram bend. but I often tie it.

it's a simple bend, just a carrick bend, add a tuck by each tail into center hole.

the interesting thing is, I tie it and dress it as a most flat bend :D

xarax

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2014, 04:32:07 PM »
   Indeed, it is dressed as a 'flat" bend, because it is absolutely symmetric, and so it can not decide if it should lean to the one side or the other !  :) ( The bends based on the Diamond mat are not so symmetric, so they tend to lean to the one side and settle in globular rather than flattish round forms ).
   I admire your memory, because I can not remember how tie any of those interweaved Pretzel-to-Pretzel bends without the help of a tying diagram - or without making a lot of false attempts before I succeed. You see, when you are about to meet your KnotGod, you do not need your memory any more - in KnotLand, knots are tied and untied all the time, automatically, you just fit your a in the net of your knotted chair (1), and enjoy the spectacle !  :)

1. http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4732
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:32:40 PM by xarax »
This is not a knot.

struktor

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »
alternately

Ruby

• Exp. Member
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2015, 02:20:31 AM »
   Indeed, it is dressed as a 'flat" bend...

this hexagram bend can be dressed as a spherical bend. (or cylindrical ?)

it's a Turk's head with over-2-under-2 pattern (V pattern) , called Spanish Ring.

alternately a 4 leads 6 parts Turk's head

bmill

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2016, 06:26:55 AM »
Hi Rusty,
You get this knot by energetically reversing the Corrick after putting it very loose.
bmill