Author Topic: Post your work  (Read 220439 times)

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: Post your work
« Reply #480 on: October 07, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »
Nice Pat !
Did you coat it?

SS

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #481 on: October 07, 2021, 08:00:09 PM »
It's not coated, but it may need to be coated if the line has too much creep.  Right now, it's pretty tight, and I think the Paracord will stay tight over the long haul.

Pat

ParLeijonhufvud

« Reply #482 on: November 07, 2021, 06:46:16 AM »
A slightly(?) oversize key-fob.

I wanted a floating key-fob for my boat keys. I used a cork ball (around 4 cm diameter) and made a mauretania knot (ABOK 544)  in 9mm cheap yellow reflective line. It did not work out fully to perfect coverage, but should float a reasonable number of keys and be easy to find even if dropped at night. I added the small steel ring to make it easy to attach normal split key rings.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 07:22:34 AM by ParLeijonhufvud »

ParLeijonhufvud

« Reply #483 on: November 15, 2021, 05:26:23 AM »
Ocean mat

Jute, 15 mm, about 12-13m line used

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 08:19:23 PM by ParLeijonhufvud »

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
« Reply #484 on: November 16, 2021, 04:58:00 AM »
Ocean mat

Sorry to ignore your mat... but that is a very interesting looking fid, where might one purchase such a thing?   ;D

ParLeijonhufvud

« Reply #485 on: November 17, 2021, 04:54:54 AM »
Sorry to ignore your mat... but that is a very interesting looking fid, where might one purchase such a thing?   ;D

That is just one of the Selma fids (http://www.selma.no/). I find them handy for that kind of jobs, as well as some types of splicing (hollow braid)

ParLeijonhufvud

« Reply #486 on: November 17, 2021, 05:32:28 AM »
A cute sailboat showed up in the yard and needed some work done on the tiller.  I'm sorry I didn't have my IGKT reference card, the tiller is about 5' (1.5m) long.  The knot is a 6 bight x 79 lead turks head tied with white 550 Paracord.  The tiller is tapered, so there is a #14 screw on a lock washer at either end that the knot is anchored to.

Nice work! The tiller on my boat has more stuff on it (two different "locks" and an extension, all from various P.O,) Planning on a turks head on the last 15 cm of the tiller, and probably a moku hitch on the extension.

Question re paracord: by spec it is supposed to be somewhat elastic (something like 15% IIRC....), Not a problem, or even an advantage?

PatDucey

« Reply #487 on: November 17, 2021, 09:06:04 PM »
I know that the Paracord will creep (stretch) over time.  The typical solution for when a knot in this kind of use creeps is to coat it with something to fix it in place.  I have seen paint, varnish and other coatings used to stiffen up the knot.  Mostly I have seen this used on natural fiber knots, I am hoping that the low creep inherent in Paracord will keep the knot in place.  The knot was tied very tight, and I am hoping that it won't loosen enough to require a coating.  The real solution for when a knot like this gets loose is to tighten it up and take the slack out, but if someone isn't available to do this, the easy solution is to coat it.  Like the old saying, 'If it moves salute it, if it doesn't move, pick it up, if you can't pick it up, paint it'.

PatDucey

« Reply #488 on: February 02, 2022, 04:17:45 AM »
These 24 bight mats came off the same jig, the one on the left is 1/4" (6mm) cotton, the one on the right is 1/8" (3mm) cotton, and they are both 8" (200mm) diameter.  I will be adding another ply and taking some slack out of the one on the right.
Pat
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 04:31:00 AM by PatDucey »

Brianne163

• Hervey Bay Historical Village & Museum
Re: Post your work : Rope Bowl
« Reply #489 on: February 06, 2022, 01:54:43 AM »
Still having metres of the hard laid Bundy Gliding Club rope to use up, I have made a couple of rope bowls from the 8mm rope.
(Courtesy of Mark the Braider)
A 6 bight thump mat tightened into shape and the ends side spliced on the outside near the base. It took 8m with 6" spare at the end.
Brian Taylor  (MRM)
Hervey Bay Historical Village & Museum
13 Zephyr St. Scarness
Tel. (Home) 07-4124 6526

ParLeijonhufvud

« Reply #490 on: February 07, 2022, 05:23:29 AM »
Was a while since I made one of these, so not quite happy with all the details, but it will do for now.

Type II paracord, the red is reflective, as can be seen in flash photo insert.

KnotMe

« Reply #491 on: February 14, 2022, 05:01:53 AM »
Posted a video to Instagram to show how to tie the matrimony knot mentioned by hospis in slav knot recognize in the forums.  This is my second attempt to create a handfasting ritual that ends with a decorative knot that the couple can display later.   ;D

KnotMe

« Reply #492 on: March 31, 2022, 02:31:15 AM »
More things posted elsewhere:

Another handfasting ritual, this time featuring the mandala knot.  Created for an Instructables contest.

Then, for an Instagram paracord contest, I braided a sprang bag seamed with phoenix tail sennit for the purposes of creating a "quick release tool" (object you might want to carry around that can be quickly unravelled for the cord).  Here's video of the unravelling.

struktor

« Reply #493 on: May 08, 2022, 03:13:12 PM »
Rhombic dodecahedron.
Six loops.

PatDucey

« Reply #494 on: June 24, 2022, 08:14:48 PM »
This is a bell rope knot for the bell in my garden.  Made from paracord, the spacing of the knots signify the sounding of 8 bells, the end of watch.  The bell was a retirement gift, and the sounding of 8 bells seemed appropriate.  The center core is 4 strand braid, and each knot is built up on a foundation of smaller knots.  The outer knot of each ball is a 56 panel globe knot.  Colors are the sequence of the spectrum, the most common example of which is a rainbow.

anything