Author Topic: Post your work  (Read 220495 times)

KnottyPhoenix

Re: Post your work
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2011, 01:55:43 AM »
That's 5 bights by 27 leads. It took me a few hours (and several false starts) to tie the knot on a knot tool I made. It's only my second turks head with the tool, and is the biggest turks head I've ever done. :) The next day I spent a couple of hours putting it on my wrist, working it a fit, and then tripling it. The next day I took a shower and found that although it fit good dry, it didn't fit so well wet, so I removed a circuit from it and did some more working it to fit. It's finally fitting nicely now.

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2011, 02:25:21 AM »
Your TH is made with paracord, right?  When using paracord, always 'pre-shrink' it.  I once made a hatband for a friend and a couple of months later, when I visited again, his hat was crushed - the TH has shrunk that much!  So - now I pour almost boiling water in a tin can with the cord in it and let it soak for an hour or two.  Then I let it dry completely.    :-\
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

Rrok007

« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2011, 07:17:23 AM »
That's 5 bights by 27 leads. It took me a few hours (and several false starts) to tie the knot on a knot tool I made. It's only my second turks head with the tool, and is the biggest turks head I've ever done. :) The next day I spent a couple of hours putting it on my wrist, working it a fit, and then tripling it. The next day I took a shower and found that although it fit good dry, it didn't fit so well wet, so I removed a circuit from it and did some more working it to fit. It's finally fitting nicely now.

Are you able to take it on and off relatively easy?

KnottyPhoenix

« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2011, 08:13:44 AM »
Are you able to take it on and off relatively easy?
No. It's not gonna come off unless it gets untied.
Your TH is made with paracord, right?  When using paracord, always 'pre-shrink' it.  I once made a hatband for a friend and a couple of months later, when I visited again, his hat was crushed - the TH has shrunk that much!  So - now I pour almost boiling water in a tin can with the cord in it and let it soak for an hour or two.  Then I let it dry completely.    :-\
I thought about that afterwards and will keep that in mind for the future.

Rrok007

« Reply #199 on: June 21, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »
Hmmm... kind of figured as much...

I'm wondering about something similar with a bit of stiffener and then including a bit of slack line. Slack line would allow you to loosen it like a bracer and slip it off. Use stiffener, like mod podge to help prevent it from collapsing completely when you take it off. Although, that would probably require the tool you used to be coated in something like mold release so that the stiffener doesn't end up on the tool.

Atomic

« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »
Here is a keyfob that I whipped up last night. The pattern for the knob is under one, over three and under one. A star shaped crown tops it. (Looks better in the hand than it does on the picture. I hate it when that happens lol.)

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
Two bellropes
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2011, 08:06:36 PM »
The larger is 11" overall,  appx 2.5" across the bottom turkshead and all #15b cotton construction except core which is made from scraps of #60, #45 and #24 cotton from other jobs.

Turksheads (from top:) 5x4, 3x5, 7x6, 3x9, 9x8 and an 11x10 lapping the bottom and imitating a globe knot.   All over a double crown hitched cover with a thimble and Spanish Coxcomb bail.

End showing "lap" of 11x10 turks:

Same idea, just a little smaller: about 2/5 size:

Less the ruler:

Again, all cotton on a pudding of scrap lines, Spanish coxcomb bail and (3) 3x5 turksheads above a 9x8 turkshead, lapped to cover bottom edges, and finished off with a 5-point starknot,

"Different strokes fer different folks...."

Essexman

« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2011, 12:19:34 AM »
Wow that's fantastic work, looking at your work really does inspire me.

One the 3rd photo I can see a beracelet on your wrist, have you and photos of it? It looks really nice.

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »

In the 3rd photo I can see a bracelet on your wrist, have you any photos of it? It looks really nice.

Here's how to make 'em!:

http://www.frayedknotarts.com/tutorials/chesapeake/chesa.html

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #204 on: August 22, 2011, 06:06:58 AM »
If there is A N Y Knowledge I have that I can give anyone, please let me know and I'll try to do so ASAP.\\

(content deleted. Blatant cry for self-pity.)

Get it now before it goes away.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:10:21 AM by frayedknotarts »

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #205 on: August 22, 2011, 06:14:29 AM »
Just another little personal kudo.... guess who just sent me an email regarding a made-up bellrope for their quarterdeck??   

How about CVN75 (Harry S Truman)??

I could not be more pleased if someone had gilded one of my items and put it in the Smithsonian.

Success and

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
« Reply #206 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:21 PM »
If there is A N Y Knowledge I have that I can give anyone, please let me know and I'll try to do so ASAP.\\

Vince, can I have the winning lotto numbers for Wednesday night?   (California lotto that is.)    ;D
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

Rrok007

« Reply #207 on: August 23, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »
I'm looking for a left-handed strand feeder. Supposed to be about an inch to three inches long and with a tip.

Essexman

« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2011, 08:23:40 AM »

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »

Vince, can I have the winning lotto numbers for Wednesday night?   (California lotto that is.)    ;D

Ahhhh.  If I told ya I'd have to.......