Author Topic: knot books  (Read 11936 times)

seabasedm

knot books
« on: January 15, 2006, 04:35:13 PM »
   I'm looking into buying a knot book.I know the Ashley
is the king,but what are some others that would cover at least a good number bends,hiches,loops boating and climbing,rescue,and fancy mats,braids ,senets.........
would  the encyclopedia of knots and fancy rope work be a good one?  thankyou                Knothead

P.S.  I'm also looking for a rigging knife.I hear the myerchin line is good but they look like 440 stainless dosnt sharpen well.should I look at the ka-bar's or case insted?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 04:37:40 PM by seabasedm »

Dan_Lehman

Re: knot books
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 06:41:58 AM »
There are many knots books published recently that present about 100 different
knots with cursory information and glossy color pictures (often of absurd apparent
applications of the knots!).  In contrast, Ashley's book is in black'n'white, but his
images are usually as good or better, and his associated text generally has more
to say.  Although he has some couple hundred practical knots, don't believe ABOK
is in any way "complete"--nor are others, which proclaim that in their title, as per
the shameless desires of book marketers.  Of course, with Ashley, one also gets
a whole bunch of decorative stuff, too.

To learn better about some particular application, get a book in that field--such
as rockclimbing or caving or fishing (Ashley worked in the age before synthetics,
so there is much missing for that).  With knotters, though, Ashley is a standard
of reference.

As for The Ency.of Knots & Fancy Rope Work, there are probably many in this
knotty community who find its treatment of decorative work passable or better;
but for practical knotting, aside from it being a collection of MANY images, it is
laughable (more funny if you didn't pay much for it), with an incredible load of
nonsense in gems such as "The Half Hitch Lineman's Loop has no practical value",
"The Cross Turn Bend is an unusual [I'll say!] way to make a bend with a cross
turn in the middle." and "The Crossed Hitch Weave has crossed hitches placed in the
ends as shown."  --whatever THAT matters!?  For a great bulk of the knots presented
here, the thought will be "huh?  WHY is this here??".  I can only imagine that
Hansel and Gretel had a jolly time sitting around and making things up!!
(It is plain hard to find another explanation, really!?)  It amazes me that this mass of stuff
got published ever.  It must succeed just by pure volume (at which few bother to look).

--dl*
====

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:32:03 PM »
Hi,
 You didn't say if you wanted a folding "riggers knife" or a stick knife.  I carry a Case folding "riggers" knife with a folding spike.  I'd not want to be without it.  It goes on with my clothing.  I also have the same pattern from Buck and Camillus.  All three are about equal.  A.G. Russel also offers two versions of the same idea.  Much more expensive (which is why I don't own one from them).  I also have a variety of sheath knives in a riggers pattern.  Steel is a compromise, as you may well know.  If it is hard enough to take an edge it may be too hard to sharpen easily.  If it has enough addititives to be "stainless" it may be less than perfect as to ease of sharpening or edge holding.  I don't own a myerchin but played with one that would not hold an edge and was not very stainresistant... but that was a long time ago.  It had a noggy little spike in the same sheath that was about worthless.  It all depends on what you are going to do.  My favorite marlingspike and favorite sheath knife look silly at the bank... but my little folding Case (which is acceptable for daily wear where I live) is overmatched for some tasks (but pretty good for many, or even most).
 As to books... I'd not want to be without ABOK.  After 45 years I still keep it at hand, still make discoveries.. I can't think you would ever regret getting one.  They go fairly reasonably on Ebay if you are persistant.  I too would skip H & G until you need to be frustrated.  The color photo books, particuarlly the ones by Mr. Budworth and Mr Philpott, are wonderful tools to inspire and teach.  That said, due to the rich format they of necessity cover fewer knots.  Brion Toss's books, quite natrually, are sailing/rigging centered.  You may find that the more you learn the less you need fully detailed step by step with 7 views.  You will find some great tutorial sites on line.  Alan Grogono's animated knots is excellent and the tutorials offered at <www.khww.net> can help with some nice work too.  Weleke's site is wonderful too.  Hope this helps.  Let us know where you settle on both the books and the knife.
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 11:40:08 PM »
and the tutorials offered at <www.khww.net> can help with some nice work too.  .

I just tried that, and it won't let you access the tutorials unless you register with an e-mail address, etc.  How bizarre and annoying.  >:(
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 07:03:56 PM »
About books,
I like the books by Geoffrey Budworth, just look for one of his general or practical knots books, I get very good reports on the Hamlyn book of practical knots.

Also the books by Des Pawson, Floris Hin, Richard Hopkins and Gordon Perry are a good bet.
If you have a good bookshop near, or a library with a good collection, go in and have a look in all available.
If you can read the instructions and like the style it is a good book for you.
There is one book in the market at this time I would advice against, the knot handbook by Maria Costantino looks good but has some serious disadvantages,  in many photos it is hard to see where the lines go and in some cases the knots are plain wrong.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 10:35:03 PM »
Roo,

I would like to defend the KHWW website.  I have never been spamed from the site, and there is some good knot information there.  I also enjoy the galleries.  If I were to compare KHWW to this site, in many respects it is equal or better.  The forum is not as active as here, but I can post photos, tutorials, and templates.  Registering is painless, the information is priceless.

Pat

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 10:44:16 PM »
Roo,

I would like to defend the KHWW website.  I have never been spamed from the site, and there is some good knot information there.  I also enjoy the galleries.  If I were to compare KHWW to this site, in many respects it is equal or better.  The forum is not as active as here, but I can post photos, tutorials, and templates.  Registering is painless, the information is priceless.

Pat

If they never plan on using e-mail addresses for nefarious purposes, why require them for even viewing tutorials?  It's inexcusable and is likely the reason they don't get much participation.

It reminds me of certain clueless news sites that ask for registration before you can view articles.  They must think they're the only show in town.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 03:16:54 AM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

André van der Salm

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 02:44:06 AM »
The only reason that you have to register is to only have serious knot tyers on the site. I have to agree with Pat, registering isn't much fuss and you get a whole lot of info in return. One thing is for sure (in my opinion) they certainly don't think they are the only show in town.

of course it's your own decision to sign up or not.

regards
André

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 03:07:38 AM »
The only reason that you have to register is to only have serious knot tyers on the site. I have to agree with Pat, registering isn't much fuss and you get a whole lot of info in return. One thing is for sure (in my opinion) they certainly don't think they are the only show in town.

of course it's your own decision to sign up or not.

regards
André

Oh yes, we wouldn't want non-serious types looking at tutorials!  You know all the problems that would cause.   ::)

Notable Knot Index

seabasedm

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 05:57:16 AM »
    great ,thanks for all the info guyes.

Lasse_C

• The price of skill is neverending practice
    • Photo galleries (Text in Swedish)
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 11:34:30 AM »
Oh yes, we wouldn't want non-serious types looking at tutorials!  You know all the problems that would cause.   ::)

Come on, roo, calm down!
The KHWW wants people to register in order to access the material, including the tutorials. Yes... and? KHWW makes this material and lay it out on the website for FREE. All KHWW wants from the interested individual is a registration. The registration is simple, takes very little time, and is also FREE. I am registered, and have never experienced any problems from that! On the other hand the tutorials and other material have been quite useful.

Frankly, I am unable to see the problem. This guy offers good material, asking nothing in return except that visitors are polite enough to register and tell who they are. Is that really so terrible?

Lasse C

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 12:24:22 PM »
It's not except it is.  For the casual browser, not being able to see the content before giving out precious personal information is likely to make them run.  Just the fuss of it all turned me off for quite a while, and that's even with half of PAB telling me I must be on KHWW...

If it's free, then let it be free... if you really want everyone to be looking.

On the topic of books, it should be realized that different people learn differently.  I have occasionally found a knot that made no sense in this book finally made sense in that one.  So, go to the library, see what books they have and try out the books and knots that interest you.  Odds are that one book will make more sense than the others.  Buy that one.  8-)

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 07:19:33 PM »

Come on, roo, calm down!
The KHWW wants people to register in order to access the material, including the tutorials. Yes... and? KHWW makes this material and lay it out on the website for FREE. All KHWW wants from the interested individual is a registration. The registration is simple, takes very little time, and is also FREE. I am registered, and have never experienced any problems from that! On the other hand the tutorials and other material have been quite useful.

Frankly, I am unable to see the problem. This guy offers good material, asking nothing in return except that visitors are polite enough to register and tell who they are. Is that really so terrible?

Lasse C

Once again, there's no explanation as to why e-mail registration is needed to view tutorials.  WHY do they need to know who tutorial viewers are?  What do they do with that info, and why is it so important that they are willing to drive people away to the other dozens of sites that allow free and instant access to info?  

There are only two conclusions I can come up with:

1.) It's an accident and therefore a needless hassle and delay that is keeping their tutorials covered with dust and irritating folks.

2.) They're trying to get something out of your e-mail address in the way of sending spam, or making money selling e-mail addresses to spammers.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 10:32:40 PM by roo »

Notable Knot Index

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 07:39:29 PM »
I have been a member of KHWW for months now, and my e-mail address is not been used by anybody. (I have a different e-mail address for every board so I can if which one, if any, gets used.)
It gives the owner of the site some control over people posting spam if they have an e-mail address.

But I do agree that for the tutorials registring should not be necesary. But if the people doing the work on the site like it that way, let them. You are welcome to join but if you do not want to, so it is.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 09:17:18 PM »
Here is a little more on books.  IGKT-PAB has an extensive knot library.  Dues paying members in good standing may borrow from the library.  So far we have only had one book "misplaced" since it seems that anyone bothering to join and pony up the dues isn't doing so just to steal a book.  Although my personal library is slim I've been able to read many of the most recognized and widely quoted knot books.  I am sorry that viewing KHWW is so frustrating for you Roo.  Perhaps it is something we can fix (what I don't know about websites would fill more books than we have on knots :-[)  I just contribute to the tutorials, participate in the forums and now and then throw in a few dollars to keep the site flowing.  There are plenty of guest only sites, our own IGKT-PAB site being one <www.igktpab.org> so happy surfing. :D
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

anything