Author Topic: Early-winter mini-convention in Maryland  (Read 6473 times)

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
Early-winter mini-convention in Maryland
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »
Jim Torbert (The Rope Locker, aka the school bus guy) and John Burke  have made arrangements for a meeting to take place at the Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, Maryland beginning Saturday December 4, 2010 and ending Sunday, December 5, 2010.  Hours will probably run 10:00 to 5:00 but that may change a bit.

There is a Best Western in St. Michaels at 1228 S Talbot Street, Saint Michaels, Maryland, 21663-2636,        Phone: 410/745-3333 
There's a block of rooms available at $79.00/nite plus tax and we have the use of the convention room (probably a large closet, but who's complaining?) at the motel for yakking time after we all feed our faces at one of the many super restaurants in St. Michaels.  If you'll be coming and staying the weekend, reserve your room(s) NOW.

My favourite restaurant is the St. Michaels Crab and Steak, at 305 Mulberry St.  Reservations are a GOOD idea. 410 745-3737

This will be a great time to see other knottyer's work, to learn more about the craft (and also instruct in our craftsmanship) and to catch up on old friends, especially for those of us who could not make the "Official" meeting in New Bedford last year.

St. Michaels is a beautiful small town right on the Chesapeake Bay, and the museum is a very interesting place right on the water.There are lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance of the museum and it's about ten minutes from historic Easton, Md., which is a VERY nice place for shopping and dining.

Normal weather in St. Michaels for that time of year is cool, but rarely cold enough for heavy coats.

Bring your wallets!! This is also the weekend that St. Michael's kicks off it's special  "Christmas Season" selling spree so there'll be lots of folks around.

Email John Burke with your space requirements for tables and chairs.  The Museum has set aside a large room (reeeely large) for us on the ground floor.

Rrok007

Re: Early-winter mini-convention in Maryland
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 04:38:54 PM »
Grrr... too bad I no longer live in VA, I'd have come up for this.

Rigger Dan

• Industrial Rigger Trainer
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:50:23 AM »
Hello All

Though new to posting on the Forum I've been in the Guild for years. Anyway, count me in for the St. Michael's event! And being semi-local I can offer to help with any set up needed before the event.

Dan C.
Havertown Pa

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 01:06:23 AM »
Hi, all!  

Jim T pointed out to me that we really should get some sort of count on who may be attending for a day or for the weekend for this hoo-raw.   Seeing as it's not an "Official" meeting of the IGKT, Jim and I want to see just how many tables we'll need for the room and if we can swing a "special meal" for Friday nite.   He favours a place about ten miles away on Tilghman Island that has an "all you can eat" special with Oysters... fried, steamed, Rockefeller.... oysters galore as well as a great regular menu (with Alpo for those who don't like seafood... phillistines...) so if you'd be so kind as to drop me an email as well as John Burke,  I'll start compiling a list.

www.frayedknotarts.com/email.html

Thenkew!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:27:30 PM by frayedknotarts »

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 05:25:37 PM »
I forgot to add:

If there is any aspect of ropework you'd like to learn while visiting us, whether practical or fancywork, let me know ASAP so we can set up a class time and an instructor.  Most of us will be doing desultory work at our tables, and anyone is welcome to "sit in" and ask questions as we do it (nothing we like more than listening to ourselves spout off about this stuff) but if several people are interested in the same thing, we can set aside a time for a "mini-class" on the subject.

roundturn

• knotstuff
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 01:44:37 PM »
I'm going to try and make it.  It's about 5 hours from my place and it takes me through the Eastern Shore of Virginia (a nice no big city traffic kind of drive).  The AYCE Seafood Buffet sounds good also. 

Marty
Elizabeth City, NC

Loren

• Golden Knots
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »
I just made a reservation, and will make every effort to attend.  Is anyone interested in a jewelry workshop while I'm there?  I'll have all my tools and supplies with me, as it will be part of a convention and teaching tour that I'll be doing at the time.

Loren
http://www.golden-knots.com/

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
Loren, your presence will be most welcome! 

Loren

• Golden Knots
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 03:04:29 AM »
I've just had some requests for actual workshops during that time, and so I really need to know how much that would interfere with the weekend, or if folks would like for me to conduct them at the meeting.  I can handle multiple students, and I don't object to spectators, but it's up to the organizers...

One-on-one or in pairs, I can probably just sneak away to my room and take a couple of hours, but I'd be very happy to be on the schedule with some committed and enthusiastic students, if it works out that way.

Loren
http://www.golden-knots.com/

mysticknotwork

• Trusted New Poster
    • MysticKnotWork
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 02:27:44 AM »
stuff happened, and an order for 8,000 custom bracelets fell through, 1,000 being due this coming weekend.. SOOO.. you guys are stuck with me and whatever random fiddlings I can scrounge together.  I just got my reservations at the Best Western

Sorry for such short notice, I hope I can still get a corner of a table. 

Does anyone have John Burke's email? I'll be cross posting into the yahoogroup as well...

Thanks for putting up with the short notice,
matt
been knotworking since before I could ride a bike, but still can't get it right.

Matt @
www.mysticknotwork.com

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 03:12:18 AM »
My thoughts will be with you all - I will be at my friend's wedding on board the Pilgrim on Saturday and so cannot make it to Maryland - I was hoping to surprise y'all but it is not to be this time round.  Have a great time and do send photographs!   :-*

lindsey

KenY

• Exp. Member
  • IGKT member since 1982- IGKT Past President
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 12:36:15 PM »
To Jim Torbert and John Burke,

Thank you for the peronal invitation, I must decline on this occation as my Knot Trip this year was with Gordon and we went to Sweden. As a prudent man I have no wish to cause  domestic dis-harmony, with words like" I wish to pop over to the USA for another convention."

On behalf of the Solent Branch, we send our regards to all at the Maryland Meeting.

As a personal note, I would like to add, if you are a' Forum Reader'. and you have never been to a Knot Tyers Meeting, or even met another Knot Tyer in the flesh. If you can get to the meeting and you are thinling about it, well stop thinking, and just do it.

I promise you' Knot Tyers ', in real time, are a lot kinder and easier to understand, than they appear in these posts.

Yours Aye

Ken Yalden.

mysticknotwork

• Trusted New Poster
    • MysticKnotWork
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 06:21:48 AM »
My wife and I had a great time.  Thank you Jim, John, and  Vince for organizing it.  As I was crossing (crawling) over the George Washington Bridge, I realized that I never saw today's newspaper.  Did anyone see if the reporter put a word about us in her paper?

Thanks again,
Matt
been knotworking since before I could ride a bike, but still can't get it right.

Matt @
www.mysticknotwork.com

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 06:48:52 PM »
FYI, for those wishing more of this event but not regulars into
the Decorative forum, do appreciate that FrayedKnot has put
up some lovely images to remember the knotty gathering by:

http://www.frayedknotarts.com/igkt01

Cheers,

:)

Frayed Knot Arts

• Frayed Knot Arts
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 02:06:11 AM »
Did anyone see if the reporter put a word about us in her paper?

Yep.  "Gee."

FYI, for those wishing more of this event but not regulars into
the Decorative forum, do appreciate that FrayedKnot has put
up some lovely images to remember the knotty gathering by:

http://www.frayedknotarts.com/igkt01

My pleasure...only took about six hours total to make a semi-permanent record, something I'd like to see more chapters/meeting organizers do... 

Incidentally, we have 54 more pics than before, thanks to     Terry Baldridge

anything