Author Topic: Help with a type of blood knot  (Read 1761 times)


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Help with a type of blood knot
« on: November 01, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
Hi all I am new to the whole knot tying thing.  I need some help with a type of blood knot.  I am including a picture.  It is for the rope stops on the rocker.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.


  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 40
Re: Help with a type of blood knot
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
Welcome ncaaref!

That's a really cool homemade rocker.

Anyway, as far as the rope stops on the bottom, the image is too poor to tell (no matter how big it is blown up). Is another picture possible for close ups/different angles (or is it derived from someones website)?

If I were to guess, I would say they are not blood knots at all, but rather they are whippings that you would typically see at the end of a thick rope to secure it from fraying.

It's actually quite a good idea to use it as a rocker stop to provide that additional cushioning effect... Neat chair.

EDIT: I just realized that you may be asking about the stopper knots on the 2 ropes that support the slats. They look like basic Double Overhand Stoppers to me... But I'm NotSure.

EDIT EDIT: Oops!  :-[  While browsing The Ashley Book of Knots on an unrelated matter, I came across a picture of a Quadruple Overhand (Stopper) knot. I'd being willing to bet 'dollars to donuts' that's what these stops are at the bottom of this chair.

Check it out:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 06:48:27 AM by NotSure »