Author Topic: hello  (Read 3348 times)

Wattsy

hello
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:37:36 PM »
hi there my name's matt i figured my introduction would be better here than anywhere else :D. i've been in the scouts for over 10 years and i'm currently an assistant scout leader, although i have to confess my knowledge of knots as a scout was diabolical (probably due to lack of patience). been getting better at it recently though managing to do some simple turks heads and ocean mats and the like. looking forward to getting involved in the site properly.
cheers
matt

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: hello
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:14:37 AM »
Welcome Matt (I don't mean to be punny),

Look around the Guild forum and if and when you have questions you'll have access to some of the best knotters around.
Do a few more posts and you'll be able to PM individuals.
Ask away.

Where do you hail from?

Scott

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:08:49 AM »
Welcome and glad you found us Matt.

Planeswalker

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »
Instead of creating a new thread I shall just follow Matt here....
Hej there!
I'm a new member of the IGKT from Flensburg, Germany. Over the past years I have done some fancy knots on my own, engaged in the more metaphysical aspects of unravelling and recreating the knots of interhuman connections and I do love to sail (thus a modest amount of knowledge on practical knots resides in my head).
To my person, I do count twenty-seven years on the physical plane, would associate with the labels of artist, magician and mad scientist very gladly, and after a couple of years living in G?teborg, Sweden I now have my headquarters back in my old hometown Flensburg, in the north of Germany.

I look forward to launching questions and answers about anything and nothing in particular (mostly knot-related though) at you all here at the forum and to meet more guild members during my travels...

~Planeswalker

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum Planeswalker!

:)

Son of Liberty

• --Son of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 02:23:25 AM »
i've been in the scouts for over 10 years and i'm currently an assistant scout leader,

Welcome fellow ASM!  Eagle I presume?

--Son of Liberty

EDIT: Oh wait, the UK version is Queen's Scout I think?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:46:23 PM by Son of Liberty »
All men die.  Few men really live.
--Brave Heart

KenY

• Exp. Member
  • IGKT member since 1982- IGKT Past President
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »
Hi Planeswalker,
                      Flensburg,   We have a conclave of IGKT members there. In fact, I dined with one at the Knot Supper in Karlskrona
only the other weekend.
I think their knot tying is more 'hands on' than 'in the clouds stuff', but if you are ok with Stocholm Tar under you nails, and you can manage a glass of red wine,if the work is done and the sun is over the yardarm, I am sure they will make new young blood most welcome.

Check out    http://www.jack-tar.de/     Karl will be pleased to know you are about,he lives in your town. Check too the IGKT Deutsche Sektion, they will be pleased to make contact.
You will find this forum is just the tip of the iceberg, but do let us know how you get on.

Ken Yalden.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:44:39 AM by KenY »

CPO

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 05:01:49 PM »
Hello Matt and Planeswalker,

As Ken mentioned, by finding this site you have discovered only the tip of an iceburg.  If possible, try to attend a branch meeting somewhere.  You will discover that no matter what your knotting interests are or your experience level, there are others willling to teach and wanting to learn from you.

Yours Aye,
Jim Wolf

Bud

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 10:56:25 PM »
Greetings to all, a newbie to this site, a long time Scouter and knothead (as the Scouts like to call me), I like to work on something interesting while I am around the Scouts. I have found that it keeps me busy handing out rope to those less fortunate that don't seem to be carrying it with them at all times. I may work on making a pineapple out of manilla, or a bell rope or a turks head, next thing you know I have following and a bunch of eyes that light up. Next thing you know they see a side of knotting that is anything but boring. By the end of the week at camp we are all calling each other knothead (an endearing term). Funny thing is if you look closely you even see some of the Scouters playing with a length of rope.

I got into the knotting once upon a time when I was in charge of first aid for our Scouts, I figured that if they were interested in rope rather than pocket knives I might have less to do and worry about....still had to send one or two out for stitches but it wasn't from rope!

Bud

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 02:53:41 AM »
Hi Bud and welcome to the forum! Nice intro/story, thanks!

Planeswalker

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I've already discovered plenty new resources... =)

Hi Planeswalker,
                      Flensburg,   We have a conclave of IGKT members there. In fact, I dined with one at the Knot Supper in Karlskrona
only the other weekend.
I think their knot tying is more 'hands on' than 'in the clouds stuff', but if you are ok with Stocholm Tar under you nails, and you can manage a glass of red wine,if the work is done and the sun is over the yardarm, I am sure they will make new young blood most welcome.

Check out    http://www.jack-tar.de/     Karl will be pleased to know you are about,he lives in your town. Check too the IGKT Deutsche Sektion, they will be pleased to make contact.
You will find this forum is just the tip of the iceberg, but do let us know how you get on.

Ken Yalden.

Knut (who attended the meeting in Karlskrona) and I became friends earlier this summer and (among other things) went to Temps F?te in Douarnanez, France. We plan to rig up an old danish ship here at the museum's wharf as soon as the mast is ready.
During a recent maritime event here in town I got to know several members from the German branch of the IGKT, including Karl.
They are both very nice and helpful people.

As for current knotting adventures... I'm playing around with the turk's head in various sizes and configurations.

~Planeswalker
also known as Sebastian