Author Topic: Paneled Wall Scroll - What Ending Knot?  (Read 3658 times)


  • New Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Paneled Wall Scroll - What Ending Knot?
« on: October 16, 2010, 07:59:12 PM »
Hello all, I have a wall scroll made of thin sandalwood panels. Since some of the panels were broken, I undid the scroll in order to remove those panels. However, now I don't know how to re-knot the two strings holding the scroll together, hence I have come here for your expert advice.

To describe the stringing on the scroll: The panels on the scroll are held together by a long piece of string on either side (i.e. left and right) of the scroll. Basically, each string has been folded in half, and each half-string has been alternately looped through the holes on the panels and the spaces between each panel in order to string each panel together - so that when one half-string is on top, the other half-string is on the bottom; then they pass through a hole, and now the top string is on the bottom and the bottom string is on the top. Since that's probably a very confusing explanation, think of two sinusoidal waves, one the mirror image of the other, and super-imposed on each other.

I have also uploaded a photograph to better illustrate what I'm talking about -

If you'll look at the photograph, which is a close-up of the right side of the bottom few panels of the wall scroll, basically I'm asking, how do I now knot the two ends of the string so that the panel will hold tightly together (no spaces between each panel), and so that the knot/string won't move/slip if I fold the scroll up.

Thanks in advance for all of your help! And of course, please let me know if there's anything I can add to clarify my question. I hope I haven't been too confusing. :)


  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1076
Re: Paneled Wall Scroll - What Ending Knot?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 08:15:10 PM »
1.  Square knot (NOT Granny knot)
2.  Surgeon's knot

If you tie one of these knots correctly (except Granny), it will hold securely.  Finish with a slip if you want to be able to untie it.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 04:32:08 AM by knot4u »


  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4075
Re: Paneled Wall Scroll - What Ending Knot?
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 02:58:23 AM »
I think that you could finish them with a Reef/Square knot
(or Granny might work in this material), or even a Surgeon's
(might be harder to set tight?),
with the following reeving of the string:

- take the end currently shown emerging from beneath the
 structure back up through the penultimate hole, so that it
 is now emerged on the same side as the other end;

- now tie them off, the knot lying between holes.



  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 975
Re: Paneled Wall Scroll - What Ending Knot?
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:58:57 PM »
If all you want to do is tie the scroll together then the methods described are fine but if this is decorative then to finish why not take both strings through the end panel from the same side and add a small wooden bead (too big to pass through the hole in the end panel) to each end. Use a simple stopper knot on each string (an overhand knot is easily worked tight against each bead to keep the structure together). This makes the finish more decorative but does what you want.