Author Topic: quick question from a newbie making a special dog leash  (Read 8467 times)

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: quick question from a newbie making a special dog leash
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
Lucky I guess that the water was on the dogs side.

My greys similarly are usually very good and placid, but they all have one absolute weakness - squirrels.

Mostly, I spot trouble well in advance of the hounds (I have a substantial height advantage) but sometimes I don't and that is when I need to be sure it is me that pays for lack of attention, not my dogs.

Inkanyezi - I really really would have liked to have seen and video'd that little episode - thank you for sharing it with us.  I think the mental image and the imagined embarrassment will live with me for quite some time.

Derek

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 11:33:18 PM »
Let's keep the language more moderate on this issue posters please!

SR

knot4u

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 11:40:56 PM »
possibly my most favorite thread ever  :D

[Inkanyezi] gone

• Pro three strand splice
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 06:18:58 AM »
Lucky I guess that the water was on the dogs side.
Indeed it was.  
I think the mental image and the imagined embarrassment will live with me for quite some time.
It also lives with me still after about thirty years.

But it is not really the whole story, because at the time, I was training guide dogs for the blind, "seeing eye dogs", and this one had been considered a suitable candidate - now imagine THAT!
All images and text of mine published on the IGKT site is licensed according to a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »

But it is not really the whole story, because at the time, I was training guide dogs for the blind, "seeing eye dogs", and this one had been considered a suitable candidate - now imagine THAT!

Perhaps it also had a sense of humour...  You can almost hear Mutley's wheezing chuckle in the background.

Derek

don knots

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »
Ok, I get it.

I mistakenly thought I would ask a KNOT question on the KNOT TYERS guild forum and included the application such that the respondents could understand what type of KNOTS they might advise using.  My bad (as the kids say these days).

I thank you for your advice, even Derek the delusional.

Seriously Derek, do you honestly think the amount of walking you (a human, I presume),  gives a greyhound (a natural athlete) can provide a dog is adequate??  Sorry my friend, you couldn't be more wrong.  If you are taking your dogs to the park for four or five hours  a day and letting,no MAKING, them run you MIGHT be getting close to what my dogs need.   Unfortunately where I live the dog parks are small, urine and feces infested postage stamp sized health hazards.  I am not superman.  Come to think of it, I have yet to find a person, superhero or not, who can RUN long enough and fast enough to provide a dog (my type of dogs) with the kind of exercise that would provide for their needs.  Shame on you.

I have working dogs.  I took them on an eight mile walk yesterday (actually two four mile walks....one morning, one evening). This took about three hours.  Then en route was an uncharacteristic stop through the dog park where they demonstrated to me that the three hours of exercise was child's play for them as they romped and frolicked like puppies with the other dogs. 

That was, I regret to inform you, what these dogs should have done before breakfast followed by an eight or ten hour day of running after cattle or sheep. 

Greyhounds are a bit different, I know.  Sprint a bit and lounge the rest of they day stinking up the furniture. 

I used to live in the sled dog capital of the United States.  I'd run them in a harness pulling a load if I could, but I haven't had much success with that.  What I HAVE had success with is them running beside me on my bike.  Never had a problem with tangles, never had a problem with them running after a squirrel, always riding in safe and controlled areas with quick release and extension bars so they could not get caught up in the bike if they tried.  By the time I'd tired of riding, they are tired of running.  The SYSTEM has been considered, reconsidered, analyzed, tweaked, adjusted, and otherwise engineered to near perfection. I just needed a little advice on KNOTS.

Not everyone thinks of all the potential hazards in their projects and I DO thank you all for bringing your concerns to light.  I had, however, thought of them all and had done hours of research and consultation by others using such systems.  I just needed some KNOT ADVICE.   

What I really DIDN'T need was condescending attitude from some animal hoarding misfit who doesn't have an inkling of who I am or how I care for my animals.

Yeah, I wanna be seen as Mr. Macho.

admin

• Administrator
    • Black Widow Web Design Ltd.
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:54 PM »
I mistakenly thought I would ask a KNOT question on the KNOT TYERS guild forum and included the application such that the respondents could understand what type of KNOTS they might advise using.  My bad (as the kids say these days).

I appreciate that your original question has raised a few unexpected responses. Animal care is a subject that often gives rise to strong opinions and emotions. That said, this forum expects that all members conduct themselves in a reasonable manner and try to discuss all topics in a mature and civilised fashion.

I would therefore like to ask all concerned to consider their answers carefully before posting them. Please avoid posting whilst angry  - otherwise you may simply be fuelling the forum equivalent of an arms war. Go and do something more enjoyable instead. If, on your return, you still cannot respond in an equitable manner, consider avoiding the topic altogether. There are plenty of other, perhaps pleasanter, discussions ongoing at any time.

All forum moderators have the ability to close topics. This is not an ability that we wish to exercise but, if a discussion begins to descend into mud-slinging, I, for one, will not hesitate to use it.