Author Topic: An interactive system of knot design  (Read 10407 times)

knot4u

Re: An interactive system of knot design
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 01:42:15 AM »
Perhaps this software could lead to the development of accurately calculating stress points in a knot.  That would be really cool.  Currently, we experiment, which is the ultimate answer of course.  However, it would be nice to have a full understanding of the "why" when a knot breaks.  More knowledge about stress within fishing knots interests me.  By the way, xarax, that's a good point about the difference between raster pics and vector pics.

I'm disappointed that this software is met with such dedicated resistance on the International Guild of Knot Tyers Forum.  I would prefer to think people here would want to encourage innovation in this ancient discipline of knots.  It's depressing to be around people who stubbornly think "nope, we're all set, nothing new to learn".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:52:50 AM by knot4u »

JD~TIAT

• Exp. Member
  • JD of Tying It All Together
    • Tying It All Together - Knot Videos
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 03:20:18 AM »
I consider knotting an act of artistic expression.

I'm not sure why we'd want to turn such a thing
over to a computer program.

Then again, art appreciation is on the downturn
(nationwide), so I suppose handing over the
genesis of art to computers is the next step.

JD ~ ((sigh))
Explore, Discover, Innovate!

knot4u

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 03:50:05 AM »
I don't understand how it's possible to read the posts in the "Practical Knots" forum and come to the conclusion that knot tying is purely art.  I see knot tying as being about half art and about half science.  There is no turning over anything over to a computer if you don't want.  If you want to reject the new thinking that a computer program can facilitate, then you are free to continue to do so.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:57:57 AM by knot4u »

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 04:09:26 AM »
I consider knotting an act of artistic expression.

I'm not sure why we'd want to turn such a thing over to a computer program.

Because you're not turning it over to a computer program.  The computer program is a tool in the hands of a person.  Sometimes that person would be an experienced knot tyer, sometimes a beginner.

Consider the possibility that you could configure a knot with a computer program, tell it the dimensions of your cord and have it tell you how long your cord needs to be.

Consider the ability to pre-design compound knots and be able to experiment with the joins to be sure that to achieve your design that the cord is continuous and doesn't form unexpected closed cycles.

Not that I expect this program does these things, I just want one that does. 8)

Further don't underestimate the power of abstraction and manipulation.  I used to tie my instructions with rainbow cord but decided that edged cord made for a clearer picture.  Now to be consistent I need to retie my earlier efforts.  If I had had a computer program that would render my instructions it would be a simple matter (if supported by the software) to re-render the images with a different cord type (maybe even rainbow cord with contrasting edging!  8)  I have seen instructions where the illustrator uses a cord segment of a different colour for the current step.  You can tell when it's a physical splice and not photo-manipulation and the labour involved in those efforts, well... not anything I'm going to try anytime soon.  But to add that into a computer program?  Much simpler.  And if you decide/discover that some particular style or method is better that would affect your entire body of work (NTSC vs PAL vs HD vs 1080p vs 3D or whatever the next new thing is) and you could just push a button to re-render your work in the new format...

anything