Author Topic: Single Strand Star Knot  (Read 12471 times)

conks_eddie

Single Strand Star Knot
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:18:59 PM »
can anyone show me a way to tie a star knot with a single strand other than this one
http://khww.net/articles.php?article_id=70

unless you can explain that one any better :P

thanks any help will be much appreciated

cheers connor

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
Re: Single Strand Star Knot
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 12:59:55 AM »
Hi Connor and welcome to the forum.
Tony, the tut author, watches the forum and I'm sure he'll respond with any help you need. If you can tell him/us where you're having problems I'm sure that would help. Pics are great, too.

I thought I remembered another tut but it was Douglas Varney's tut for Single Strand  8 plait braiding.
http://www.knotworkn.com/braid.html

Then I found MAKING A SINGLE STRAND STAR GROMMET FROM A ABoK#2868 here; click the link "singlestrandstargrommet.pdf" in post#21:
http://khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=445&rowstart=20
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:26:14 AM by skyout »

asemery

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:48:49 AM »
To paraphrase Rick "At which stage in the process are you having difficulties with this knot?"  Tony

Transminator

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:13:02 AM »
It is well worth getting Stuart Grainger's "Creative Ropecraft"

There you find detailed instructions on the single strand star gromet
(it starts with a Drummer Boy's Plait) and also on multi-strand star knots.

In fact, they are (for me) the clearest instructions on those two knots
you will ever find and the drawings are superb. I got them right the first time I tried.

KenY

• Exp. Member
  • IGKT member since 1982- IGKT Past President
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 08:35:38 AM »
Tom Solly in KM 11 3-5 mentions the Harrison Book of Knots pg 22.

but I would agree that Stuart Grainger in Knot Craft page 74 is better, he calls it a Star Grommet. A fine artist and you get an english discription from a Master Mariner.

See KM 107 pg 34 for a photo of the Knot Masters work.

Yours Aye

Ken

conks_eddie

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 01:18:52 PM »
thank you all very much for the responses

the part i don't understand in this tut :
http://khww.net/articles.php?article_id=70

is from step three onwards
and in step one i don't really understand what it means with steps a-e, the only way i got it was by copying the picture aha
probably not the best way

cheers connor

Rrok007

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 03:08:38 PM »
I think I understand where your problem lies. You need to understand the basics of what you're doing.

As the article say, you're making a series of paired cow hitches. Each pair is started with one part or the rope, and then finished with the other, alternating back and forth.

Teh "steps a-e" in step one, are an explaination of how to tie a cow hitch. Most people know the simple way, make a bight, loop it around an object, and pull the "tails" through the bight. Not always an available way to do it. Steps a-e show another method.

Basically, take your rope over the pencil and drop it down behind. Bring the part behind the pencil forward, and cross over the rope in front of the pencil. Now bring it up behind the pencil again, and then bring it forward, down in front of the pencil, but behind that part that crosses over the rope, essentially between the pencil and the 'crossing' part of the rope.

With Step two, you're treating the bight of the first cow hitch, as if it were the pencil, anyou tie a cow hitch around it, using one side, in this case, the left side. In step three, you are repeating the process with the other strand, the right one.

asemery

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 06:43:39 PM »
 As Rrok007 explained the steps listed in photogtaph 1 show how to tie the cow hitch.   O = Over, U = Under.
ALL the hitches are tied with the Working End (W.E.) All are tied in the same manner as outlined in steps a - e.
  The first hitch is tied around the pencil. - photo 1
  The second hitch is tied around the single strand of the first cow hitch.  - photo 2
  The tail end is brought over to the left (below the bight made in step 2) and the next hitch is tied around 2 strands. - photo 3
  From here on until the desired length is met the cow hitches are tied around 2 strands. - photo 4.
  In closing the hitches are 2 more cow hitches are made following the steps outlined in photos 5 - 11.  Tony (asemery)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:00:50 AM by asemery »