Author Topic: Rope mat patterns  (Read 4158 times)

Rrok007

Rope mat patterns
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »
Are there any patterns for trapazodial mats?  I need one or two fewer bights at the top of the mat than at the bottom.

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
Re: Rope mat patterns
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »
I don't know of any true trapezoid knots, but there is a work around that might give you what you are looking for.  Tie a rectangular mat, and when it is done, add another ply, but only in the lower 2/3 of the mat.  Follow the same over under pattern as the mat with the new ply so the mat will lay flat.  The added ply will have to turn around at a level place in the knot.  Another ply can be added for the lower 1/3 of the knot.  It will take trial and error to find the transition point if you want the added line to be only a single line, otherwise it might be a knot that is impossible to tie with a single line (so use two).

Another work around would be to add plies similar to adding another line in a pineapple knot.  This will make the mat more lumpy, and might not be suitable for walking on.

Pat

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
  • A knot is not just a knot...
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:14:50 PM »
Something like this?

It might not be true trapezoid. But it's close. I would have to work on it more to get it closer I think.

Brian...
Regards,
Brian Kidd

Rrok007

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:18:01 AM »
That might work, I'll have to look at it when I get home. I was thinking about trying to modify the 5-bight turks head mat, just adding a pair of bights to the top and bottom, and on each side.