Author Topic: Dying rope....  (Read 9020 times)

Rrok007

Dying rope....
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:56:35 AM »
... specifically I'm looking for any advise on nylon/poly types of rope. I don't really work with much natural fiber ropes. Most of what I used is the Lehigh brand from Lowes, and when I have to, the EB brand that Home Depot carries. I've noticed that the EB brand from Home Depot seems to have a higher poly content than the Lehigh brand from Lowes.

So, anyone have some suggestions on DIY dyinig rope?

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
Re: Dying rope....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:06:25 AM »
Hey Rr,

I asked that question not long ago about George's nylon mini bell ropes and it might work with your rope, too:
http://www.khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=858&pid=8500#post_8500
He dyed all these himself.

just arrived in Helsinki this morning and saw your reply. The dyes are jacquard Acid Dyes for Nylon. I have at the moment 7 different colors that I use which are Emerald Green, Brilliant Blue, Brilliant Yellow, Fire Red, Black, Gold Ochre and Violet. I wouldn't recommend the Fire Red as it tends to give a more Pink color than Red, but the other colors are superb.

Please excuse the typos but I've just finished an 8 hour watch from midnight.

All the best

George

Rrok007

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 02:02:30 AM »
Thanks Rick, I've actually tried that before with little luck. I have a 8qt stock pot now used for nothing but dying rope thanks to their dyes. A local art supply place carried their dyes, as well as the polyDye that jaquard makes for materials with higher poly content. What I got was the candy cane effect noticed in my flogger (which for some idiot reason photobucket has removed) design. It basically dyed the nylon the right color, and the poly content a faded version. (black was black/grey; red was a red/faded red(not pink) color.

I know JD has mentioned elsewhere on the web usinig Rit dyes, which has about the same effect depending on the poly content.

Rrok007

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:17:04 PM »
Just a quick update....

I've had some limited success with using Tulip fabric dye and vinegar over the weekend. I dyed several pieces turquoise, and some other pieces red. I al tried dying some pieces that I had previously dyed, but there wasn't any real noticable effect except maybe some deepening of the color.

Unfortunately, at this point I can't tell which ropes are from which store, so I may be buying a small package from Home Depot thiis week to test, as I've mentioned before, I've usually had no problems with the Lehigh brand from Lowes taking dye, but the Home Depot brand comes out inconsistant. It would be nice if this solves that problem since Home Depot is much closer  ::)

tfedorik

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 03:54:57 PM »
Hi, everyone,
it is very romantic to dye rope. i used to do it too in the 80s, but now there is a great line of nylons in more than 100 colors:

http://www.store.jewelsinfiber.com/nylontc.html

There are other stores online which carry the nylons, including fusionbeads.com. We use it for micro-macrame.
Checkout my etsy store to see how knots can be used to make jewelry:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tfedorik

Happy knotting!

Rrok007

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:13:55 PM »
Tfedorik,

Thanks greatly for that resource site. I can actually see myself buying from there in the future with some other projects. Unfortunately, with the projects I'm working with now, I need something significantly thicker. Measuring in fractions of inches, not in millimeters.