Author Topic: Tying It All Together Triple Feature #3 (Three New Instructional Knot Videos!)  (Read 20629 times)

JD~TIAT

• Exp. Member
  • JD of Tying It All Together
    • Tying It All Together - Knot Videos
The Dragonfly Knot is a Chinese decorative knot that's ubiquitously
seen on the web, but rarely shown how to tie in video form.

This week I make up for that fact with the following.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8yi5ixTo9Y

The Japanese Bow Knot is a quick and clever way to create a
terminal sliding bow at the end of a doubled over rope or cord.

Revered for its beauty, it's equally admired for its elegant
construction.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0xkjAWeSzw

The Snake Weave is a classic Celtic knot that lends itself well
to bracelets and straps.

A two cord Snake Weave provides a little something extra, that
traditional one cord snake weaves simple can't wrap itself around.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR7xDCAZaLc

Hope you enjoy,

JD ~ TIAT
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:30:28 AM by JD~TIAT »
Explore, Discover, Innovate!

Rrok007

Speak of the devil.... I had begun to wonder, seemed like it been a little while since you had posted on here.

First I wanna say that I love the two color snake weave. I've been playing around with the celtic bar knot for an idea, but I think the two color snake weave knot is a much better solution. Thanks so much for sharing this knot with us.

I'm a little conflicted with dragonfly knot though. For once, JD's method of doing things is not my preferred method of doing things. :-\  I like the method I've seen elsewhere, with the head being made of a chinese button knot, and the body being a series of 2-strand matthew walker knots, or snake knots. The conflict here being the novice actually preferring the ways of a different master from the one they normally follow  :P

Having said that, I do still have to admit that I do like this new method of making dragonfly knots. I think it's a great use of the soloman bar, and the idea of tying a 'winged' soloman bar has so many applications, it's a wonder it hasn't been more seen before. I also like the solution the winged soloman bar gives for creating the wings. :D Though I prefer other methods of doing dragonfly knots, I have always loathed that almost every method out there uses the lover's knot for creating the wings. Mainly cause mine never quite look satisfyingly right. The other thing I do like about JD's method is the loop at the bottom. One could easily slip a ring onto that part of the knot at the start of tying, and turn the knot into a key fob! ;D

Thanks again JD for another set of wonderful videos! As always, you make it seem so easy.

KnotMe

• The Chinese Knotting Homepage
Also traditionally, the wings are done with sauvastika knots which is why the Korean name for that knot is "wing knot".

I've seen the solomon bar version of the dragonfly before (if not in video format), it has the advantage of being able to decorate the eye loops with (big hole) beads for more fun.

JD~TIAT

• Exp. Member
  • JD of Tying It All Together
    • Tying It All Together - Knot Videos
Carol is correct...  :)

This isn't my design. I found it on the web. It's associated "Winged Solomon Bar"
was also shown in ABOK (#2468). Ashley used the technique to create what he
thought looked like a caterpillar.

Web Reference: http://whatknot.tripod.com/knots/dragon.htm

I'm familiar with the other tying methods. But given my (primary) audience's familiarly
with the Solomon Bar, I figured this tie would work best for them.

Also Lindsey's forthcoming book (The Ultimate Book of Decorative Knots) will show
how to tie the Dragonfly Knot via the traditional technique. So I decided to hold on
showing that method (for now). I'll likely wait a year and show it then (as a more
traditional alternative to the method I showed this week).

JD ~ TIAT
Explore, Discover, Innovate!

Paracrazy

I recently found this Paracord Lanyard on Bladeforums.com searched under Rattlesnake Lanyard and am trying to recreate it.  The tail is a rattlesnake tie or officially the Clifford W. Ashley's " over and under heaving line knot" aka ABOK #541.    The body, for all I could find for a name, is the Paracord Snake Knot.  As for the head,  I am still looking for an official name and or a way to tie.  I'm know the tail starts out with one color then the black cord is attatched and hidden somehow to start the body and for the head, a monkey fob? start with the outer part of the head formed after? 

Rrok007

actually, if you look close, it looks like a soloman bar that is partially doubled over itself.

Transminator

• Exp. Member
Hi

This should have gone into a separate thread but the tail bit on the right is what JD calls the rattle snake knot,
the center bit is a snake weave/knot and the head is made up of solomon bar. When the solomon bar is tied back over itself
into the gaps, you get what I know as a cobra stitch.
Have a look at JD TIAT's channel on youtube for rattle snake keyfob, snake knot and solomon bar and you have all the
building blocks you need to tie this.

Greetings

Paracrazy

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm still learning proper forum etiquette, my apologies. Thanks for the welcome.

Rrok007

lol.
never be afraid to start a new topic.