Author Topic: Jug Sling  (Read 21858 times)

knot4u

Jug Sling
« on: July 19, 2010, 05:52:31 PM »
Do you use this knot?

After learning to tie this knot, I use it occasionally for slinging a water bottle around my neck/torso.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_sling

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: Jug Sling
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
I usually try to find an alternate method of storage if an attached cord or rope will interfere with the use or maintenance of the object in question.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »
I was given a ribbon lanyard with a bank's name on it at a car show one time. It had a rubber o'ring to attach onto the neck of a plastic water bottle. It worked like a charm, I just put it on my shoulder. I've been thinking of making a nice rope lanyard and doing the same thing.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:15:36 PM by skyout »

Pinrail

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
I have used it, and I'm sure I will use it again.
The jug sling is one that goes through periods of use and disuse with me, since it's one I usually have to "refresh" my memory on every now and then.  In my "arsenal" it tends to be a "niche knot."  It is exactly what I have needed in one situation... and then for another situation just wont' work as well as some other knot... no matter how badly I want to use it.

Regards,

Abr.

Pinrail

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 08:59:10 PM »
Oddly enough...
I just stumbled upon this while surfing about for an unrelated knot. It looks to me like a jug sling is used on the end of this homemade sling.

http://www.primitiveways.com/plastic_bottle_sling.html

It looks interesting enough to warrant building...

Regards

Abr.

DEE

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »
I use this knot regularly but it is a bugger to teach to the kids. I have three drawings on how to tie, differently, it tucked away somewhere. The Asher Bottle Sling, "What Knot?" {G. Budworth & Richard Hopkins} p. 177 is much easier to tie and teach.
And it serves the purpose just as well. D
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people seem bright, until they speak.

Rrok007

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 12:59:22 AM »
Completely forgot about this knot. Here I was planning on using the plafond knot, tied around the neck of a bottle.

dmacdd

• Exp. Member
    • My Knot Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
I use this knot regularly but it is a bugger to teach to the kids. I have three drawings on how to tie, differently, it tucked away somewhere. The Asher Bottle Sling, "What Knot?" {G. Budworth & Richard Hopkins} p. 177 is much easier to tie and teach.

I have needed to sling a bottle very regularly three times a week for the last 12  or 14 weeks.  I alternated the jug sling and Asher's bottle sling for a few weeks, but recently I use only Asher's, because it seems to work just as well for my purpose, and it's quicker to tie.  I have known the jug sling for a very long time and the Asher's only a short time, but the Asher's sling has supplanted the jug sling in my affections for most uses.

Asher's sling could be described as a two-turn Prusik finished with a bull hitch.

[Deleted incorrect comment about photo 148H in CL Day's Art of Knotting and Splicing - dmacdd ]

I also experimented with a variety of exploding hitches to hang the slung bottle from a D ring on my shoulder bag. I seem to have fallen back on the old reliable slipped buntline. It seems to be easier to tie and more secure, even if it doesn't "explode". The pairing of Ashers's bottle sling with a slipped buntline hitch seems a particularly good one.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 05:05:31 AM by dmacdd »

knot4u

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 07:46:12 PM »

I have to admit that the Jug Sling took quite a bit of practice to tie quickly.  At first, I needed two hands and one leg to tie it.  :-\

knot4u

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:54:30 PM »
I needed a Youtube video for learning the Jug Sling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9sum_GyxE

This diagram is in my phone for recalling:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:55:39 PM by knot4u »

dmacdd

• Exp. Member
    • My Knot Pages
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 06:06:05 AM »

This diagram is in my phone for recalling:

The above diagram seems complicated compared to the one in article 1142 of ABoK, attached.

knot4u

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
The above diagram seems complicated compared to the one in article 1142 of ABoK, attached.

I'm open to hearing about easier methods, but I tried unsuccessfully to tie the jug sling using the diagram you posted.  Do you actually use that method?  Perhaps that method is why you prefer Asher's jug sling, as you indicated above.

Using the method I posted above in the video and the diagram, I can tie the jug sling in about 7 seconds.

I also experimented with a variety of exploding hitches to hang the slung bottle from a D ring on my shoulder bag. I seem to have fallen back on the old reliable slipped buntline. It seems to be easier to tie and more secure, even if it doesn't "explode". The pairing of Ashers's bottle sling with a slipped buntline hitch seems a particularly good one.

If I'm hanging a bottle of something that's worth $20 or more, I'd rather not use any kind of slipped knot.  The Jug Sling holds and untying is not easy, which is what I want.

Is your main dislike of the Jug Sling that you can't tie it quickly?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:11:44 PM by knot4u »

Rrok007

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 06:48:35 PM »
Maybe I'm just reading the diagrams wrong but I don't find either of those working for me. I know I've seen a set of instructions somewhere that made it seem quick and easy, just can't remember where.

knot4u

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 07:21:59 PM »
Maybe I'm just reading the diagrams wrong but I don't find either of those working for me. I know I've seen a set of instructions somewhere that made it seem quick and easy, just can't remember where.

Use the video I posted.  The diagram I posted is for recalling the video.

dmacdd

• Exp. Member
    • My Knot Pages
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 11:47:11 PM »

I'm open to hearing about easier methods, but I tried unsuccessfully to tie the jug sling using the diagram you posted.  Do you actually use that method?  Perhaps that method is why you prefer Asher's jug sling, as you indicated above.

Using the method I posted above in the video and the diagram, I can tie the jug sling in about 7 seconds.

I do use that method. I can perform it in 20 seconds. I suspect the difference between  us is not due to the difference in methods. :-)  This knot is complicated enough that how you hold your fingers as you make the knot is very important in managing the evolving complexity of the knot. I think I'll make a video to show how I do it. I put some effort into developing hand motions that keep the knot from confusing me in the final stages.

I have two issues with the jug sling for my most frequent uses: 1) Even when well practiced it is complicated compared to the Asher bottle sling, so takes more concentration, but the result is no better for my applications. 2) If you use a preformed closed loop, it's tricky to get the two handles even. If you want really short handles with a preformed closed loop it's even tricker.  With the Asher bottle knot, if you want a short handle for a standard bottle, to clip onto a carabiner, for example, you just use a preformed closed loop designed for the diameter of the bottle, and there is no fiddling.

If I'm hanging a bottle of something that's worth $20 or more, I'd rather not use any kind of slipped knot.  The Jug Sling holds and untying is not easy, which is what I want.   

I use the buntline hitch to suspend the bottle from a D ring without using a biner. The buntline hitch is not part of the gripping of the bottle.  Either sling can be used with a preformed closed loop that can be hooked onto something or clipped onto a biner.

Is your main dislike of the Jug Sling that you can't tie it quickly?

See above.

I just realized something. I'm using a slipped buntline made with the two free ends of the Asher sling in order to keep the slack between the D ring and the bottle to a minimum. Clipping conventionally into the D ring with a biner made the assembly too dangly.

But if I use a short custom closed rope (the other meaning of _sling_) to make an Asher, I can poke the very short handle of the Asher through the D ring and use the biner only to keep it from slipping back out.  That way I can keep the slack as short as I can make the handle of the Asher.

anything