Author Topic: Re: Knots in your life  (Read 9993 times)

Lasse_C

• The price of skill is neverending practice
    • Photo galleries (Text in Swedish)
Re: Knots in your life
« on: September 30, 2005, 09:49:20 AM »
IMHO knotting is even worse case than any bad habit

I take it that you mean that as a joke. I have spent my entire professional life (20+ years) working with treatment of drug and/or alcohol addiction, and every day meet the results of addiction. No offence intended, but I do find it a little difficult to smile... If some of the addicts I meet would take upp knotting instead and kick the drugs, I would feel like dancing in the streets. Sorry.

LC

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 10:13:20 AM »
A"world wide" forum is daunting.  It should be.  Jokes about drugs should be chastized.  I am trying to work with the forum..   My life is very simple.  I work many hours.  I tie knots and work with Igkt, Igktpab, khww...After that?  But drugs?
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

KnotNow!

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 10:19:46 AM »
Hi Lassie C.............. :(
 How is it that we can sense our brethern in a knot?  Well, you are an intense person.   Thank you for doing your job

JustKnot

• My knot album
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 05:42:06 PM »
Just because I'm curious how many people use knots instead of drugs

sorry, I should have made an explanation, its my fault because I always think that people will understand what I mean.
In this case I didn't mean narcotics (I was willing to say "good drugs"), I just noticed that such hobbies as knotting, knitting and etc. helps to come down when you are nervous.

IMHO knotting is even worse case than any bad habit

Sorry I didn't knew that "bad habit" means alcohol, smoking and other similar cases. In lithuanian we call these "harmful habits" and "bad habits" are like picking your nose in public or eating lots of candies.

BTW is there any other word to name good drugs (ones that heel and help to cope with illness) - my dictionary is quiet small and I could find only this word

and please forgive me if I hurt anyone's feelings or made feel uncomfortable
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 07:30:30 PM by JustKnot »

KnotNow!

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 08:07:49 PM »
Hi Just Knot,
 Don't let it worry you.  I use phrases and gramatical constructions that fit fine in USA but don't make any sense to a world readership.  Often I post when very tired or when having my evening alcohol.  Being tired scrambles my brain more than any drug.  A good word for healing concotions is "medicine", many of which would be addicting if used without a doctor's advice or taken for the mental effect rather than the relief of pain or toward treatment of illness.
 That aside, I find knotting a good adiction.  I can't stop, don't want to and maybe can't even if I tried.  Knotting is, as you have noted, soothing to the mind and spirit.

KnotNow!

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 08:25:26 PM »
Hi Just Knot,
 I tried to take the poll but there is no spot for "all of the above".  I laugh when I see the possibilites in the poll as there is no part of my life that has no knots.  I use some at work, some at play, some for decoration, some to hold my home from falling apart.  My clothing is held on with knots.  I hope everyone responds to the poll.  Seems to me I remember another poll of knotters a year or so back.  A fellow from France, I think.  If I can find his Email address I may send you a PM or Email and hook you up with him.  Not many folks responded, if I remember correctly.  It intrests me too.  I find knotters from every profession, every hobby group, all walks of life.  Just as interesting is the people who don't knot at all.  At knot shows I always greet people with "Hi, how are you today... What knots do you tie?"  Since most wear shoes with laces... I have an opening.  Even if the shoes are fastend with velcro... I have an opening.  In 10 or 15 seconds I get a spark of recognition or dead eyes.  Thoes with the spark will look at our display, talk about knots and perhaps become IGKT members.  Without the "spark" they politely drift off to the next display.  That is what I am always wondering about.  I "get" it, you "get" it... why don't the others even partialy get it?  I am interested in many things that I don't "get".  Maybe there are people who are interested in everything and then they specialize in something and there are people who are intersted in nothing and specialize in that... nothing.  Just some thoughts outside the scope of the poll. ???
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 08:27:54 PM by PABPRES »

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 08:31:05 PM »
Roy,
While I think it would be alowable to vote as many times as there are options, I think we get your vote as all.

But is there one option that is more true than the others? I think that in your place I would have voted for the last option.
I did, I just would chance it from wife to life.
In my opinion the last option does include all above.

Willeke
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 08:32:28 PM by Willeke »
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

knot_tyer

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 08:22:10 AM »
hello JustKnot!.....

"profitable" hobby ??!!!...if someone gave me a million dollars i guess i'd just buy knot stuff and keep making knots until it was all gone!!....as long as it pays for my coffee i'm happy!!...
coffee = "good drug"??!!!...  8)
..Dan-Alaska

http://360.yahoo.com/knot_tyer

...IGKT Knot_Chat every Sunday!!:

http://www.knotical-arts.com/knot_chat.html

...come and visit and hear about the IGKT-NAB meeting in
Charleston, SC last week!!!!!...   ;)

!!...coffee & Bailey's !! .. :o

KnotNow!

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 10:18:31 AM »
Hi Willeke and All,
 As always you are right.. Even my sweet Alice might agree!  Tonight I was on the parking lot called the freeway and making knots while waiting for traffic to move.  Tomorrow a knot show.  Yes, all of the above, a hobby, a hobby that pays, my life, maybe my wife.  But you and I have chatted back and forth and you are also very wedded to knots.  Which box did your check?   The fun part of knotting is that Alice need not feel displaced by my hobby.  It is invisable within the relationship.  Golf takes time away from home, so I don't play it.  Writing is extreme and can't be interupted, so I don't do it.  Painting needs a studio and some time alone.  Knotting?  Transparent in a relationship.  No interuption of the day to day life.    So "it is my wife" sort of did not seem to discribe it.  But of course if somehow I could never make another knot.... never think about it in my sleep... Yes.. I would feel deprived.  About as much deprived as I would be if Alice were not with me... No...   about 10% of the value I put on my relationship.  Maybe 5%.  Awe come on.  Knots are very important.. but people are far more important.  I wish you could be at our show tomorrow.  I gather you attend many shows and events.. This is a big event for us.  5 knotters in one place!

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 12:02:06 PM »
I envy you, I have to wait an other week, but then there will be more than just 5 people coming. I help organising the october meeting for the Guild. So I will meet with all members who are able to come, and the first will arrive even before me, but I will see many most of the Friday, all of the Saturday and most of the Sunday!!!

(Then you can envy me.)
This Sunday on the chat we will also talk about that meeting, I think.

And while knotting is different from relations with people, it has always been an important  part of my life and I will always find knots in whatever I do, or I do get an itch and I have to find something 'tieable', to tie a few knots. There have been holiday days where I was desperately going into all the shops so I could find just to find some string to tie a few knots.

I am not addicted as you would be from "bad drugs" but I am surely addicted as much as you can get from anything else.

Willeke
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 12:08:10 PM by Willeke »
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

KnotNow!

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 06:21:58 PM »
I know how that holiday knotting frenzy can be.  I have been packing a huge duffle of cord and my loaded ditty bag for every trip, even business trips.
 You are right, I envy you for being at major gatherings.  For this show Maggie will come 300 milles, I'll go 110, Paul is about 150 away and lucky Pat is just 10 minutes away.  Brian also is in the area.. but must use public transport so it is a long trip for a short distance.
 I never make it to the chats on Sundays.  Seems there is alwasy too much to do.  Nights are when I can find intenet time.  I think I tie knots in my sleep.  Actually I know I do as I often dream about making mats or bell ropes.  Especially just before or just after a show.
 Anyone else dream about the knots.  Too bad I never dream up a new one!

KnotNow!

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 10:08:02 PM »
I hope this is not too far off thread.  Our Fall Fishermen's Festival was wonderful.  No final count on visitors but the original estimate of over 10,000 may have been right.  The day was mixed sun and rain.. sometimes the rain slows them up.  It works out that the people who actually stop at our display to learn and chat gives an oportunity to learn which of the poll catagories they are in.  There were not to many climbers (well it was a fishermen's gathering after all).  Therefore a large percentage made their living from knots (if you ignore the boat and all that hardware).  Some were Navy and some were Coast Guard.  Some were RC model makers so used knots to make the hobby boats look more authentic.  There were BSA scouts, Sea Scouts and Tall Ship sailors.  We actually ended up with 9 PAB members on hand, several of the new members had nothing to display but had a great time (still in that stage where they never realized their hobby was being practiced by so many).  If you go to a good seafaring venue then nearly everyone has some contact with cord.. from necessity or from choice.

Lasse_C

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 02:29:04 PM »
To JustKnot: I think I understand what you were really trying to say, even if it came out in a way that did not go entirely perfect with me...  ;)

Knotting instead of chemical substances - legal or illegal - as an alternative for coping with stress, tension, and the everyday chaos of our lives is excellent! Should be done more!

Perhaps I should add that my first (seemingly somewhat grumpy) comment was written after an intense day meeting several patients in lousy condition. Most of them are young girls (19-22), using several drugs in addition to alcohol and in addition to that having considerable psychiatric problems, such as anorexia, cutting themselves, several sucide attempts, etc, and so on...  

From that perspective I suppose you can understand that I did not (especially on that day) find addiction a joking matter, and that I would just love to see them take up knotting instead of their destructive behaviour?

In my book, knotting is a passion, not an addiction!  ;D

Lasse C

Jimbo_The_Kinky

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 11:18:49 PM »
sorry, I should have made an explanation, its my fault ... (I was willing to say "good drugs")

Hi, JustKnot!

Sorry to force my opinion on others, but IMO the "fault" is not with your attempt to communicate with the rest of the world!!!

The "fault" is with the people who allow themselves to become "judgemental" to the point where they forget that "good" is merely "what I like" and "bad" is "everything I don't like".  There is more "fault" on the people who, having forgotten the personal nature of "good" and "bad", claim to have some authority over the rest of us to decide what we should think is "good" or "bad".

By way of (hopefully brief) example:  Aspirin (an extract of a Willow tree) is considered "good", because it has proven to be fairly helpful in relieving pain, yet it kills a heck of a lot of people each and every year.  OTOH, cannabis (another widely growing plant) is considered "bad" because ... well, why??  In 4000 years of documented use, with millions of recreational (i.e. non-knotting) uses each year, the death toll (not to mention the LD/50) stands at ZERO.

(Note to Lasse_C:  Isn't it possible that the psychological problems your patients suffer might be caused by exactly this incomprehensible incongruity in Values??  I see it and it seems plain to me, but I'm not "in it" like you are.)

So I would ask you, JustKnot, and everyone else (PABPRES  ;D) to please try to remember that whenever someone tells you "that's bad" (maybe they use other words, but you get the picture), please remember to add the words "In My Opinion" (or "IMO") at the beginning of whatever they say, and treat the rest of what they say accordingly!

And say exactly what's on your mind, for goodness' sake!!!

Thank you.

Jimbo
(PS: IMO, opinions are like hemorrhoids: most are a pain in the back end, and they all stink -- mine too!)

Lasse_C

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 11:12:19 AM »
This is definitely off-topic, bust just a few (hopefully) short comments:
OTOH, cannabis (another widely growing plant) is considered "bad" because ... well, why??  In 4000 years of documented use, with millions of recreational (i.e. non-knotting) uses each year, the death toll (not to mention the LD/50) stands at ZERO.
That is a ususal, and sometimes even (hopefully not by you, though) intentional fault in argumentation: Just looking at toxic effects and disregarding psychoactive effects. Cannabis is very low-toxic, but highly psychoactive. I will not go into long and tedious detail, just quote from an Arabian 13:th century script (that is some 800+ years ago, folks...  ;)): "They who use hascheesh are unfit to do business and ride camels, as their minds are slow and numbed" (To the best of my knowledge, the death toll of LSD intoxication is also zero, but LSD does have a few other side effects instead of being toxic  ;))

Note to Lasse_C:  Isn't it possible that the psychological problems your patients suffer might be caused by exactly this incomprehensible incongruity in Values??  I see it and it seems plain to me, but I'm not "in it" like you are.
Sorry, I do not quite follow you here, you are welcome to explain.
Basically, I see their anorexia, suicidal/parasuicidal activities, etc, and their highly destructive alcohol/drug use as two aspects of the same self destructive behaviour. The causes of that, in turn, is usually rather complex.

Let me also repeat, and hopefully clarify: I merely wanted to state my humble opinion that from the point in space & time where I stand, and the experiences I have, jokes about addiction is not in good taste, and comparing an interest in knotting to addiction makes me feel utterly uncomfortable. I NEVER had any intention to "whip" anyone by stating my opinion! (On the other hand I find it hard to see that I should get "whipped" for having stated my opinion, either! OK?)

As far as I am concerned that issue is hereby closed.

Lasse