Author Topic: hitch name?  (Read 9757 times)

nautile

• Exp. Member
  • G'day to you from France
Re: hitch name?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 11:31:29 AM »
Hi Just Knot

Buying ABOK (or other books)  on the Net

Try www.bookfinder.com ( have language options) this is the largest database on books ( new and second hand).

Description of books are correct and prices are better adjusted than on eBay ( have bought many time on both ). Watch for the grand total price : book + shipping. Sometimes you can buy a better book with less shipping for the same price as a less good one with higher shipping.
Only problem is that you must have a credit card to pay with.
Good luck.

Just to make what Willeke wrote more "palpable"

ABOK new condition

www.boofinder.com    begin at 35.90 euros

www.amazon.com
$47.25

www.amazon.co.uk
38.60£  and 35£ for the Budworth modified
That is $68.10  and $61.75

www.amazon.de
69.50 euros   and 82.90 euros for the Budworth modified
That is $83.58   and $99.70

www.amazon.fr
54.31 euros and 77.01 euros for the Budworth modified
That is $65.32  and $92.62

Minimal salary ( before taxes : about 20%) is 1 357,07 euros that is $1632.08 for 169 h of work

that is 8.08 euros or $ 9.66 before taxes and after ( what go on your bank account : 6.42 euros or $7.73)

so an ABOK in France is  nearly 9 h or nearly 12 hours of work for those at the basic level of salary

« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 12:44:05 PM by nautile »

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2005, 12:13:20 PM »
As online bookshops go, I have done buziness with Amazon.com, they do hold the website for many small sellers, and I was satisfied with their response.

But the problem stays, not every one in the world can aford to buy books the way we westerners do. Even many of us are not able to spend more than a weeks grocery shopping on a book, let alone a months income.
And yes, for many people a secondhand ABOK for a good price can be more than a months wages.

(changed after reading the new version of the post by Nautile)
As you can see in the amended post above, even in rich France not every body can afford to buy buy this book. Ashleys Book of knots is worth a lot of money, but not money you do not have, or need for daily basics.

Willeke
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 01:01:25 PM by Willeke »
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Brian_Grimley

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2005, 04:46:07 PM »
JustKnot,

DaveRoot, who posts to this forum, shows, at his site, many knots and relates most of them to Ashley's book. He shows the "Harness Loop" (Man Harness Loop, Artillery Loop) as #8 here: http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_SingleLoops.htm . The Double Dragon Loop is #3.

Dave shows the form of the "Harness Loop" where the legs of the loop do not cross. Your Sept. 28th picture, with the extra tuck, will show the form of the "Harness Loop" where the legs of the loop are crossed.

If we remove the running end one tuck in the crossed form of the "Harness Loop", we get your loop (Sept. 28th picture). If we remove the running end one tuck in the uncrossed form of the "Harness Loop" we get a "Overhand Knot". I think your knot (Sept. 28th) is very interesting.

Cheers,
Brian.

Ps. Perhaps, if Dave would consider adding an index of the knots he shows by ABOK#'s, his site would be an even clearer resource for relating an ABOK#, used in this forum, to a graphic of that knot. Dave, what do you think? - Brian. :)

JustKnot

• My knot album
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2005, 06:18:44 PM »
Just to compare the difference between EU veterans and new members:

if I buy ABOK at amazon.de that would cost 286 LTL - thats half of the minimal salary, or 1/5 of the average lithuanian's salary :o big money...

Thanks for everyone who helped with this knot name

DaveRoot

• Exp. Member
    • The Most Useful Rope Knots....
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2005, 07:06:19 PM »
Ps. Perhaps, if Dave would consider adding an index of the knots he shows by ABOK#'s, his site would be an even clearer resource for relating an ABOK#, used in this forum, to a graphic of that knot. Dave, what do you think? - Brian. :)

Thanks for the idea, Brian!  I'll put together an "ABOK Index" of the knots at my site, and see how well it works out...

Dave

DaveRoot

• Exp. Member
    • The Most Useful Rope Knots....
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 04:34:39 AM »

I added a "Knots Index" by ABOK #:
http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_KnotsIndex.htm

Edit: Here's how to link to ABOK #2436 (for example):
http://www.Layhands.com/Knots/Knots_KnotsIndex.htm#2436

I also added the ability to download the entire knots website (all 9 articles) in a single .ZIP file for offline viewing.

Dave
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 06:34:06 AM by DaveRoot »

Brian_Grimley

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 03:19:30 PM »
Dave,

Nice job! I was wondering about how you would design the ABOK access system to your site's information.  I like your showing a picture of the tied, dressed and set (in most cases) knot in the index!

I also like the organization of your knots by category with a picture, ABOK# and name. It will help people with a "what is the name ... ?" question.

Be assured, when I use an ABOK#, in a forum, and the knot is in your site, I will link to it!

Thank you for your work and let us hope that this will not get lost in the forum!

Cheers - Brian.