Author Topic: hitch name?  (Read 12578 times)

JustKnot

• My knot album
hitch name?
« on: September 27, 2005, 05:55:49 PM »
hi,
I tied this knot by accident and just wondered is there a name for this knot and does it have particular use?
thanx

and the other side

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
Re: hitch name?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 07:18:37 PM »
hi,
I tied this knot by accident and just wondered is there a name for this knot and does it have particular use?
thanx

It's great that you included pictures, but before we get too far, you had better specify or show which end is the free end and which end takes the force, and if it is a hitch, where the object to which you're hitching lies.

I see a sliver of something that looks wooden on both sides.  If that is the hitching object, are you showing the flip side of the knot structure?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 07:21:33 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

JustKnot

• My knot album
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 09:21:16 PM »
sorry, forgot that the loop is not visible in pictures

the loop itself is on the left in both pics, don't know which end could be loaded because, as I said, I tied it accidently when untying some mess
I should try some combinations before another reply

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 11:16:22 PM »
Hello JustKnot,
I am sorry, but I can not help you with the name of this knot. But I want to say: Welcome to this forum.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

knot_tyer

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005, 01:35:43 AM »
hello JustKnot...
...it looks like a type of bowline...could it be an Eskimo Bowline??....or something closely related?:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EskimoBowline.jpg
...can't really tell from the photo??
Dan-Alaska

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005, 06:45:32 PM »
the loop itself is on the left in both pics, don't know which end could be loaded ...

I don't think that this structure has a name, nor much value, as tied.
But with the eye on the RIGHT side, and the lower left end loaded,
the resullting loopknot has the Bowlinesque qualities of (1) being
able to be tied after forming the eye (i.e., one doesn't have to pre-tie
some structure such as an Overhand or Fig.8 in the SPart into which
the end will later be reeved to complete the tying), and (2) the knot
will have a collar that enables easy untying.  To get a loopknot
with some security against loosening, have the lower right end,
upon its upper-left exit, then make a turn back down under  and
then up over-through-again (tucked out beside itself); this wrap
should enable the SPart to be gripped sufficiently well to keep it
from loosening (the knot won't be so easily untied, but still pretty
much so, I surmise).

Kinda like the Lehman8 in form.

(-;

JustKnot

• My knot album
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 11:19:26 PM »
thats not fair, you were reading my minds

I just turned the knot upside down and made some experiments and improvements, so here they are

this is the same hitch, just the loop is on the right and the loaded end goes straight to the left

and this is improved for easy untying. I don't remember it exactly but this one is similar to so called "russian bowline"

and this is how it is tied (just by pulling loop through loop)

Brian_Grimley

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 05:34:20 PM »
JustKnot,

I would like to refer to the top picture of the three you posted September 28th.

If your knot is turned over, we see the running end is tucked under one of the two lines of the bight that forms the loop. If you tuck the running end under both of the lines forming the loop, with a little dressing, it is the "Harness Loop", ABOK #1050.

Ashley's graphics seem to show two forms of the "Harness Loop". The center graphic seems to show the loop not crossed. The right-hand graphic shows the loop crossed. Your knot obviously has the loop crossed.

There was a discussion on this forum about the "Double Dragon" loop, http://www.layhands.com/knots/Knots_SingleLoops.htm#DoubleDragon . It can be seen as a "Harness Loop" plus a turn (with a little dressing). Your knot (JustKnot Loop) can be seen as a "Harness Loop" minus a tuck (with a little dressing).

I used to think that the "Harness Loop" was a little boring. Guess not, huh!  ;D

Cheers,
Brian.

nautile

• Exp. Member
  • G'day to you from France
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 06:59:40 PM »
PABPRES  Perhaps it is the "Snip Hunters Bowline".  If it is reversed, the standing part becoming the running part it might be the "Mtn. Japer Hunter's Noose".  Both well known and docummented in the "instant knot" community.   "Rockets Knot" is a close second.

Hi PABPRES!
Could you, or someone else put some link to pictures of the 3 knots that you wrote about?
Tried Google : no luck.
Thanks.
Regards.

JustKnot

• My knot album
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 07:08:18 PM »
... I should buy ABOK before asking questions :)

KnotNow!

• IGKT-PAB PAST PRESIDENT
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 07:27:23 PM »
Hi Just Knot,
 I posted in haste, thought better of it so removed the posting, modified it to a more polite tone, removed that but not before all the world had seen.  So I'll go back to try and set the record straight... with apologies to all:
 At first I thought that Just Knot was pulling our collective leg.  So I made refferences to mythical knots used in pranks.. In the USA folks are often taken "Snipe Hunting".  Of course there are no snipe and the person being teased is left in the dark and wet, "Holding the Bag", waiting for snipe that never come.
 Next I thought Just Knot was serious so I tried to suggest that most knots that become universal and acepted are found by working to solve a problem not by doodling.
 Finally I decided it was none of my affair.
 Now that I am back into the thread:
 All knots or wannabe knots can be modified into something known and useful.  The knot as first presented is unknown to me.  I tied it and can find no function not served by other knots.  I am not intending to be harsh.. just giving you my observation.  I'll spend some time with the books I have and perhaps it is there somewhere.  But I keep bouncing back to the concept of a knot being developed without a purpose or need.  That is a very odd idea, or so it seems to me.
 Have fun ;D
ROY S. CHAPMAN, IGKT-PAB BOARD.

JustKnot

• My knot album
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 11:54:03 PM »
... I should buy ABOK before asking questions

I wrote this not because of your post, just all these references to ABOK made me feel like christian without his bible

KnotNow!

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 12:46:57 AM »
Hi Just Knot,
 Well an ABOK becomes less essential as the forums get better and the digital images get handed around on the web.  But ABOK surely does save a lot of time and missunderstanding.  I played with your hitch an hour or two today.  Still haven't found one like it.  Although the (here we go again) ABOK #1831, The Capstan Knot has a similar feature, being able to be slid to adjust and capsized to lock.  Where as yours slides on the working end before being locked the Capstan Knot slides on the standing part and then can be locked.  I really must learn to post a jpg but my dialup is sooo slooowwww.  ABOK's come on Ebay about twice a week.  They tend to be in very fine shape and the price can be good or insane... bidding is like that.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 12:51:07 AM by PABPRES »

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 07:26:25 PM »
Roy,
While ABOK can be got easily and sometimes cheap in the USA, getting it to Europe, or the rest of the world, makes it too expensive for many Europeans and other people around the world. This is not even counting in the difference in income. A book that costs you an hour work can cost someone else a weeks wages. So, many people outside the USA / Western Europe have to do without ABOK.

Which tells me again that we should get started with the knot database. Often we only need a picture, and a simple "how to tie this knot", to discus it.

Willeke
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

KnotNow!

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 07:57:27 PM »
Willke,
 Of course you are correct and again I am guilty of thinking like a colonial.
 Getting the web to do more of the work is the way to go.  You have done so much great work toward that purpose with your web site and your contributions to both IGKT and KHWW.

Thank you.