Author Topic: What Knot Should I Use?  (Read 1628 times)

Michael

What Knot Should I Use?
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:19:45 PM »
If I buy a rope with an eye splice at each end, and I want to join the two ends together so that the rope forms a loop, what knot should I use?

I want the knot to hold if someone attempts to pull the two ends apart with a lot of force.

SS369

• Global Moderator
Re: What Knot Should I Use?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
Hello Michael and welcome.

The simplest fix I can think of it a Becket hitch. Basically a sheet bend using a fixed eye as one half of the bend and the standing part of the other end as the second half. http://www.theensign.org/uspscompass/compassarchive/compassv4n11/v4n11_mm_becketbend.htm
You could make it more secure with a double Becket (double sheet bend).

Or you could consider a Strap toggle if the line will stay under steady tension. http://www.theensign.org/uspscompass/compassarchive/compassv7n4/v7n4_mm_toggledreefknot.htm

SS

xarax

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:31:07 PM »
   There was a relevant thread about the Becket hitch some time ago :

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=4307
This is not a knot.

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 11:34:39 PM »
If I buy a rope with an eye splice at each end, and I want to join the two ends together so that the rope forms a loop, what knot should I use?

I want the knot to hold if someone attempts to pull the two ends apart with a lot of force.
While you could use a becket-type bend, you can ignore the eye splices and use whatever bend is appropriate for the situation.
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 09:20:59 AM »

The strongest way to join the ends is to interlock the spliced loops. The disadvantage may be that you will have a sling in a figure 8 shape where the loops at each side are interdependent ie you can make one bigger/smaller at the expense of the other. Unfortunately my camera battery is flat so until later today I can only explain in words:

Take one spliced loop in each hand. Pass the left loop completely through the right loop and fold it back over its standing part. Now put your hand through the left loop, grasp the standing part and pull it through the loop. Work the 2 spliced loops together and they will interlock giving the 8 shape. If this arrangement will not fit your intended use then you are faced with knotting the ends somehow as suggested already.

Barry
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:22:44 AM by Sweeney »