Author Topic: ABOK#1862 diagram is wrong!  (Read 7928 times)

BrianHiles

ABOK#1862 diagram is wrong!
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »
Hello all,

After much consideration and consternation, I find that the diagram (actually, the middle of three) is wrong!
I'm referring to the "Doubled Ring Hitch" thrown by loop eversion (this is my nomenclature -- the denotation
is obvious by context) as shown by what method CWA indicates as his own discovery. This is significant insofar
as casting a knot utilizing loop eversion -- as indeed is expressed by CWA himself -- is especially practical,
secure, and interesting.

I hope it is sufficient to describe the problem (I know, a diagram equals at least 1000 words in this context):
Instead of reaching through the bight as indicated by the arrow (from the _bottom on up_), it really should
be shown with the arrow going from the _top on down_. In other words, the direction through the bight
is indicated with the wrong direction.

The edition I have is the Bantam Doubleday Dell 1993 edition (40th printing?): the one with the cover showing
a seaman having tied the "Fool's Knot." Unfortunately, I don't have it in front of me as I write this.

I would especially like the opinion of Geoffrey Budworth, insofar as his amendments specifically include the new
knot (IIRC!) #1385a: what Brion Toss calls the "Strait Bend." Ironically, CWA indicates in the accompanying
text the specific appellation to tie it "in the direction indicated." No, I don't think so!

Can the IGKT forum confirm my observation? Is there an IGKT-recognized errata for the ABOK?

As a postscript, I have been trying for several weeks to locate the New York Times (?) article in 1979 (?) that
publicized the "newest" knot to be included in the canon, referred to above, for research involving a film project.
Does anyone have the paper and date for this article, or a link to it?

Thanks, all!

=Brian

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
Re: ABOK#1862 diagram is wrong!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 01:08:19 AM »
There is a partial list here:
http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/about1070.html
but there have been others since this was posted but I can't remember what they were. Possibly a search could turn them up???

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:21:22 AM »
OK, not sure I'd call it a "quick" search, LOL, but here's a great thread on the subject and #1862 is listed in post# 7:
http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=183.0

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »

As a postscript, I have been trying for several weeks to locate the New York Times (?) article in 1979 (?) that
publicized the "newest" knot to be included in the canon, referred to above, for research involving a film project.
Does anyone have the paper and date for this article, or a link to it?

Brian

if you are referring to what has become known as "Hunter's Bend" it was mentioned in the London Times (not New York) on 16 October 1978. You can access the archive on the website but they do charge a fee.

Barry

BrianHiles

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 03:50:45 AM »
Thank you!

but there have been others since this was posted but I can't remember what they were.

This one, perhaps? (There are presumably others).

http://tribes.tribe.net/bdsmtipstechniques/thread/8f651169-7e17-4cb2-a38d-81a66d427517

=Brian

BrianHiles

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 04:01:03 AM »
Thank you!

"Hunter's Bend"... yes, of course! I didn't have the book in front of me, but of course I
knew that much.

it was mentioned in the London Times (not New York) on 16 October 1978.
You can access the archive on the website but they do charge a fee.

Philip Harold. "The Doctor Ties Up His Claim to Fame". The Times. 6 October 1978. <http://archive.timesonline.co.uk>.

(That is, The 6th day of the month, not the 16th.)

But of course, visiting the obvious Wikipedia article would have been an excellent starting
point for the search! *Duh!*.

You can access the archive on the website but they do charge a fee.

Alas, not any more. $8 for one day's access to an article .JPG? Perhaps worth it in regard to its
inclusion in a documentary. Poor student!

=Brian

BrianHiles

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 04:06:02 AM »
Thank you!

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=183.0

Magnificent! To think I was just yesterday bragging that I had read ABOK from cover to cover!

This is such an important resource that I am astonished that IGKT Forum doesn't have some
notion of a "sticky" posting -or- that there isn't some "pride of place" for it. Moderator!.... Or
have I not looked carefully enough?

And 2005-2006 info too! I have some catching up to do.

=Brian

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:04:26 AM »
Glad to help Brian.

Hope you'll post more on your film project for us.