Author Topic: "Best of Breed" Knots Part II  (Read 2754 times)

knot4u

"Best of Breed" Knots Part II
« on: May 23, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »
This post is a continuation of this old thread:  http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=30.0
I joined this forum because that thread caught my attention.  Basically, an "average" person has asked for knot advice on a broad range of knots.  What would you recommend?  Here's my list of best knots for the "average" person, NOT in order of importance:

Binding:
1. Square (everybody should know how to tie this knot correctly)

Loop on End:
2. Zeppelin Loop (strong, secure, has never jammed on me)
3. Bowline/Double Bowline (learn all the different ways to tie and you can rest assured that you'll have a decent fixed loop for anything)

Loop on Bight:
4. Butterfly Loop (1, 2 and 3 loops - simple, secure, doesn't jam easily)

Hitch:
5. Slipped Buntline (it just works)
6. Adjustable Grip+ (an enhanced version that I discuss in another thread)
7. Half Hitch Slipped (simple, quick, temporary, secure enough for many purposes, perhaps my most used knot)
--"Trucker's" Hitch (a combination of three knots, for example, Slipped Buntline, Span Loop and Slipped Half Hitch)

Bend:
8. Zeppelin Bend (strong, surprisingly secure, has not jammed on me)
9. Butterfly Bend (simple, secure, has not jammed on me, my regular knot for neck lanyards)
--Zeppelin Loops connected (not a bend, but connects ropes of ANY size difference)

Stopper:
10. Stevedore (simple enough, non-jamming)

=====

I just realized that knowing how to use these knots is more important than the knots themselves.  For example, knowing how to tie a good Trucker's Hitch is more important than the actual knots used within the Trucker's Hitch.

I like using knots that won't jam too easily and are relatively strong and secure.  I generally assume that people are using rope that they would like to reuse.  I don't want to frustrate a new guy by forcing the person to cut rope.  Plus, I'm sure most people already know how to tie knots that jam up and that force you to cut the rope.  If someone is asking for knot advice, then I'll give them my best stuff, and they can take it or leave it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 05:53:43 PM by knot4u »

Transminator

• Exp. Member
Re: "Best of Breed" Knots Part II
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:16:29 AM »
Hi there

You might be interested in this thread:

http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1150.0

I also posted my list of knots there. It seems we came in many cases to the same conclusions (butterfly/zeppelin e.g.)

happy knotting

knot4u

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:16:17 PM »
Thanks, I just posted there. I'm noticing that the information on this site keeps repeating within the threads.  So, the threads aren't that active, understandably.

phiz

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »
None of my recommended list of 'Best knots' are my favourites.

On a daily basis I use:

Round turn and two half hitches
Slipped single overhand
Slipped figure of eight
Single constrictor
Half bloodknot
Clove hitch
Bowline

Just because they are quick and reliable.