Author Topic: Matthew Walker Knot (world)  (Read 2854 times)

Transminator

• Exp. Member
Matthew Walker Knot (world)
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:25:13 PM »
Hi All

I thought I bring these youtube videos by Robin Lockwood to the attention of the guild.
I found them quite interesting and informative and it helped me to understand better the relationships between different knots such as wall knot, matthew walker, overhand and double overhand etc.
Its a three part series (so far) on MWKs and an attempt to create a more consistant nomenclatur for MWK and other knots.

video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOaKNJsmdVY&feature=related
video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehyYoVFpUok&feature=related
video 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQUD77NYW4&feature=related

Rrok007

Re: Matthew Walker Knot (world)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 02:16:32 AM »
These are exactly the videos I was referring to in an earlier post when I mentioned someone wanting to rename half the knots in the world to MW knots. This guy wants the Overhand Knot to become a "0-turn Matthew Walker knot" and Blood Knots would be "Multiple turn Matthew Walker knot".

jcsampson

• Exp. Member
  • Major Proponent of the Fixed-Gripper Constructs
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 04:13:22 AM »
Yeah, I see what you mean. He said, ". . . this knot, which you might call an Overhand, but we know is really a 0-turn Matthew Walker."

That's odd. I've always thought of it as an incomplete Honda. . . .  :'(

JCS

Transminator

• Exp. Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:30:07 AM »
He has got a point by showing how one knot builds on the other by adding strands and/or turns and naming them
consistantly.
I am not saying we should adopt these new names for common knots (such as overhand, double overhand etc.), its not going to happen
and I am sure he knows that.
Nevertheless I found it useful to get a better understanding of the relationship between those knots and the MWK, which I never
realized before.

Rrok007

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »
No I definitely will give him that point. I completely agree that showing the relationships between certain knots and others is a great idea and definitely helps in learning more and more knots. But I think the idea of trying to rename knots is a bit off kilter. You're dealing with the fact that these names have been around for how many years? Over 100 or more for most of them right? So you're fighting a lot of tradition there. Robin looks old enough to know how well that works...

I like the idea of showing similarities between knots and think it would be a great way of teaching other knots. I think this would go really well if you started with the basic knots, and then built up around that. Showing how "b, c, d, and e" knots are really nothing more than "a" knot modified or repeated or interconnected, etc. This of course would also tie into how knots are classified, indexed, whatever. So in that respect, I do applaud Robin in his efforts.

jcsampson

• Exp. Member
  • Major Proponent of the Fixed-Gripper Constructs
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:20:09 AM »
Yes, anyone who encourages others to learn, know, and use knots, and who presents fresh perspectives in the process, is worthy of praise.

But if he starts calling the Bowline a modified Matthew Walker, be sure to let us know.  ;D

JCS

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
  • A knot is not just a knot...
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »
Naming conventions that he is talking about is just another way to make it redundant. For this knot, it would prove to be redundant and irritating. His method of tying this knot is a bit elderly and cumbersome. Just my opinion and that's all I say to it.
Regards,
Brian Kidd