Author Topic: Nodo-political statements...  (Read 8226 times)

Lasse_C

• The price of skill is neverending practice
    • Photo galleries (Text in Swedish)
Nodo-political statements...
« on: January 28, 2010, 09:18:54 AM »
Several times I have raised the issue of adapting knotting to modern uses. I have even made a few things which have in part been what you might call nodo-political or nodo-philosophical statements - in other words things that have been made partly in order to illustrate that very point, since I consider it very important. One example is the lanyard/ear phone combo for MP3-players I came up with some years ago:

We definitely need to carry along the traditional knowledge, but I think it is equally important to find modern applications, to show people that knotting has a place in the everyday world of today.
To put it a little blunt: If knotting is to survive as a "living" art, and not reduced to being be some kind of museum activity done by dinosaurs like me (I am 52 years old and have been knotting for about 40 years), we have to find ways to get youngsters to consider knotting as cool and hip!

Take this as a challenge: Who will be the first to come up with knotting applied to mobile phones or laptops?

I have an idea or two myself, but they are still pretty much on the drawing board.

Lasse C
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 09:20:08 AM by Lasse_C »

capt larry

• Trusted New Poster
Re: Nodo-political statements...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
Lasse,

Nice work on the lanyards.

Check out KHWW for cell phone holders done with cord.

CL

Justin

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:01:21 PM »
I so want one of those  :o  In the spirit of this post I will endeavor to learn to make it and should the opportunity arise pass on the knowledge
Justin

Lasse_C

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 04:32:21 PM »
I so want one of those  :o  In the spirit of this post I will endeavor to learn to make it and should the opportunity arise pass on the knowledge
Mail me and I might give you a hint on how to make it.
There are a couple of tricks you have to know in the layout of the cables in order to get it right.

Lasse C

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 06:04:20 PM »
Here's one from JustKnot out of rope. The next page of the link below he talks about he lost one to kinked wires and another to theft.
http://www.khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=305&rowstart=160

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
Take this as a challenge: Who will be the first to come up with knotting applied to mobile phones or laptops?

I have an idea or two myself, but they are still pretty much on the drawing board.

Lasse C

Hi Lasse, check out this cool cell phone case with an interlaced belt loop that JP made:
http://khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=713

JustKnot

• My knot album
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
Here's one from JustKnot out of rope.

Heya, I just wanted to add that I only borrowed Lasse's idea almost 3 (?) years ago. Hope it's not copyrighted :D

Lasse_C

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 03:52:45 PM »
Heya, I just wanted to add that I only borrowed Lasse's idea almost 3 (?) years ago. Hope it's not copyrighted :D
Do not worry, it is not copyrighted. After all, how could I copyright it when anyone who has the skill to make it would be able to figure out how by looking closely at it? (Well, there is the point of how to lay out the cables inside, of course...)

As long as you do not make any to sell around here I have no problem with it...  ;)

Lasse C

Lasse_C

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »
Hi Lasse, check out this cool cell phone case with an interlaced belt loop that JP made:
Yep! Traditional techniques in modern materials and applications! Nice, strict design, very precisely executed. That case can be carried in the belt of a grey business-style suit as well as on a pair of jeans.That is exactly what I am talking about!

Let us see more of that kind!  ;D

Lasse C
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 04:00:01 PM by Lasse_C »

Rrok007

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 05:16:33 PM »
So I gotta admit, nodo-political in the subject line prevented me from looking at this thread... however, looking at it... I'm sorely tempted to try this with my new phone and the included headphones....

Justin

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 06:58:22 PM »
that cell phone pouch could be adapted to a Nintendo DS or PSP use the belt loop piece to create a closure combined with a button knot.  Am I making sense or just rambling?
Justin

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »
I followed your thoughts just fine!
Here's something along those lines, a beautiful knife case by Vince:
http://www.khww.net/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=710&rowstart=0

JustKnot

• My knot album
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »
This reminded me one crazy idea I had some time ago - external turk's head PC radiator.
Generally it'd be a copper tube wowen into TH or any other woven knot. You can fit it around cold water pipe or fit a fan inside for better cooling. Just imagine your PC and a big shiny copper TH or gaucho fan knot popped out on top of it.
Wonder if there's anyone crazy and/or skillful enough to take this challenge ;)

(The even crazier idea was to make it 2 stage cooling - hot liquid/gas flow from CPU heatsink to TH which is interwoven with another tube which is the 2nd stage)

Make this look cool and knotty!

Justin

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 09:00:06 PM »
Justknot

I am sure there are some steam punk guys that would be willing to take on that one they love to play with copper
Justin

Rrok007

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »
So I tell the person next to me at work that my next project is an adult novelty item.....

A yo-yo made of rope....

Not the answer she was expecting.