Author Topic: "Slatt's Rescue Belt" by TIAT (Video + O-Ring Connection Instructions Added!)  (Read 86771 times)

SpitfireTriple

• Seek Truth
@JD~TIAT

I watched your Slatt's Rescue Belt video (among others) after I posted on your Bloody Knuckle thread.  The belt strikes me as something that would be very desirable to a lot of people on a website I frequent: ADVrider.  A lot of people there like to kit themselves up for exotic motorcycle journeys (even if many of them never leave their US state!).  There might be a market there for you if you want to sell your belts.  The thing is though, these belts are obviously hugely labour-intensive and therefore expensive (I notice one firm charges $75 for a different design).  Have you ever given any thought as to whether any of these designs could be manufactured on some sort of knitting machine?

Andrew

Edit: I see from http://www.slatts.ukfsn.org/slatts-knot.htm that a belt takes a skilled person (the inventor!) around an hour to make.  That's in 4or5mm cord which is rather less than the US standard quarter-inch cord.  The thinner the cord, the longer it takes.  I also note the formula Philip Sinnet-Slattery tentatively suggests for the length, L, of cord that will be required for a given length of belt, B:

L = 3B + 2B(number of loops-1)

Second Edit:
We could simplify this expression to

L = B(2xnumber-of-loops + 1)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:03:32 AM by SpitfireTriple »

danmc

Hello,

Thanks for the excellent YouTube videos.  I'm trying to follow through the O-ring steps and I think I'm missing something important.  In going from picture 4 to 5 on the first O-ring sequence, it looks like the rope wraps the opposite direction around the O-ring.  It is on this step and the next that I'm totally stuck.  In other words, I can produce picture #4 but for the life of me can't seem to get to picture #5.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.
-Dan

rutilate

Re: "Slatt's Rescue Belt" by TIAT (Video Instructions Added!)
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 01:16:46 AM »

First O-Ring Connection:[/b]

I'm following just fine until the 5th step. In the 4th step, the standing end is going through the buckle from front to back, then in the 5th step it is shown as coming through from the back to front.  Am I missing something?

In the first diagram, the short end is coming through and the long end extends out the back, right?

In my ignorance, it almost seems like it would be better to make the loops from right to left, then feed the short end back through the loops from left to right, which would securely anchor the short end, and then pick up with step 5.

rutilate

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 01:24:18 AM by rutilate »

JD~TIAT

• Exp. Member
  • JD of Tying It All Together
    • Tying It All Together - Knot Videos
First O-Ring Connection (Steps 1-5):

1. Insert approximately 6 inches of cord
(~ 15 cm) through the back of the ring
(this becomes the standing end).

2. Arc the standing end into a right hook,
then let go of it. Take hold of the long
end of cord (the working end), and start
winding it around the standing end.

3. Keep wrapping...

4. ...until it creates a three loop coil.

5. Now, lift the working end up,
creating a bight. Let the standing
end drop down into the coils of rope
created (in the case of my picture, I
tucked it through the back of the
ring to better isolate the bight
created with the running end).

Sorry for the confusion,

JD ~ TIAT
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:45:09 AM by JD~TIAT »
Explore, Discover, Innovate!

rutilate

Ok, that makes more sense, thank you!  Amazing what happens when you get the standing/working ends straight!

As a thought, if you were to reverse the first couple of steps so you threaded the short end through from the right, looped it around 3x, then tucked it back in from left to right, you'd secure the short end without having to pull the long end through 3x.

Best,
rutilate

danmc

JD,

Thanks!  Makes total sense now.  I'm playing around a bit with doing 2x the turns on the ring (D-ring in my case) and only using every other one for the first row of the crochet.  That way I can use a loose crochet but tightly wrap the part on the ring. 

Thanks again for all of your excellent videos and tutorials.  They are much appreciated.

-Dan

losgadh

Please help!  I'm having a problem, my belt its tilting toward the left as I knot. What am I doing wrong?

paracord6018

I'm a little newer at this then some, but before i start this belt, does anyone know how much 550 paracord should be used per foot if using 5 loops to make a decent width for a belt?  Also is 5 loops a good number for a belt or should i use more or less? Sorry for all of these simple questions and any help is greatly appreciated.

Blueberzerker26

Please help!  I'm having a problem, my belt its tilting toward the left as I knot. What am I doing wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong, the Slatt's belt shifts to one direction  :P i freaked out the first time i made one too don't sweat it.  8)

I'm a little newer at this then some, but before i start this belt, does anyone know how much 550 paracord should be used per foot if using 5 loops to make a decent width for a belt?  Also is 5 loops a good number for a belt or should i use more or less? Sorry for all of these simple questions and any help is greatly appreciated.
  I usually do 5 passes as well and my waist size is 34. So i use the full 100 feet of paracord when making the Slatts design. It gets kind of tricky and sort of annoying in the beginning because the cord twists and you typically have to keep untangling it. But with that said 100 feet covers my waist size and even more than necessary so it all depends upon how big your waist is.
~JM~

JD~TIAT

• Exp. Member
  • JD of Tying It All Together
    • Tying It All Together - Knot Videos
How to Tie a Non-Slanted Slatt's by JD of TIAT
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 07:41:37 PM »
For a while now, people have been searching for a way to keep the Slatt's Rescue Belt from slanting (it slants to the right as originally tied). And, for the most part, How to Make the "Slatt's Rescue Belt" by TIAT (http://youtu.be/uGDIm5bcQRM) shows the original (slanted) method of tying the piece.

But there is a way to keep it straight (as it were), as the following images show.

p.s. Start in the middle of your cord.

p.p.s. For how to connect the belt to rings or a buckle (your choice) visit: http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1627.msg11122#msg11122

As an aside... Never settle for what you don't like (e.g. a Slanted Slatt's) there is always a way.

JD ~ TIAT
Explore, Discover, Innovate!

MatejKesan

Re: How to Tie a Non-Slanted Slatt's by JD of TIAT
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
For a while now, people have been searching for a way to keep the Slatt's Rescue Belt from slanting (it slants to the right as originally tied). And, for the most part, How to Make the "Slatt's Rescue Belt" by TIAT (http://youtu.be/uGDIm5bcQRM) shows the original (slanted) method of tying the piece.

But there is a way to keep it straight (as it were), as theped through and the next row the alternate working end.... am I understanding correctly? Also your  following images show.

p.s. Start in the middle of your cord.

p.p.s. For how to connect the belt to rings or a buckle (your choice) visit: http://igkt.net/sm/index.php?topic=1627.msg11122#msg11122

As an aside... Never settle for what you don't like (e.g. a Slanted Slatt's) there is always a way.

JD ~ TIAT
Hello JD! It seems the images you posted were removed from the source (your FB page I guess), I would really like to see them because I wanna make a belt that's not slanted and they would really help:)
So if you can find that would be great, if not, nvm and sorryfor the thread revival.
Keep up the good work:)