Author Topic: Ho Ho Ho ... anybody recognise this?  (Read 5817 times)

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: Ho Ho Ho ... anybody recognise this?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »
Yo Rick,

The old ones are the best -- LOL

dewildeman

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 04:07:27 AM »
On a lighter note,

Derek, thank you for definition for the "Hurley Hitch".  I'll have to share it with them.  Perhaps the IGKT will recognize it an grant a cerificate to the family honoring them for the invention of a new knot!   ;D

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
Great idea dewildeman,

But to propose such an award would require real names to be used - would you be in agreement to this?  Perhaps to get the ball rolling, I could send in a proposed article to KM (or you could), giving the background and proposing an award, then take it from there.

How do you feel like becoming a real person?

Derek

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »
snip...

Because you are a member, it sounds like you are making a formal proposal to establish a naming convention and, if so, could I ask, do you have members who will stand with you to bring that about and do you have a naming convention to discuss?
snip...

Lindsey

In a word - NO.

As both you and Barry have pointed out, this is a standing problem that many have tried repeatedly to crack, yet every time met with failure.

Perhaps before jumping onto the merry-go-round one more time it might be prudent to to see if any lessons can be learnt from from previous attempts.  Indeed, is it even possible to develop anything significant through the medium of a forum?  I think that we have good evidence from AgentSmith's massive thread on bowlines, that in some circumstances a forum can contribute to a valuable conclusion.  But of course, in that case there was a clear single person management and decision system.  Take away the controlling force of an assigned 'manager' and the forum serves as little more than an opinion swapping shop.

Decisions cannot be made, especially when the 'Status quo' is threatened or a new idea threatens a bad case of 'NIH'

A wiki is not much better.  Wikipedia only arrives at seeming conclusions because of brute force - the content of Wikipedia is not right because it is the common voice, it is just the voice of the one that won.  However, Dfred et al. have done an excellent job over the past few years of compiling a valuable if occasionally erroneous (in my opinion) source of knotting information.

Perhaps we would have greater success if we ran the discussion on the forum, then asked Dfred to extract the salient conclusions into Wikepedia ? ?

For complex topics with several sub aspects a forum is not an ideal format because aspects can be lost in the long linear structure of a forum thread.  One tool that might help would be to add the 'Tags' mod available to SMF (the utility which runs our forum) http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=579  -  would this be permitted ?

Perhaps in 2010 we might find a way to make progress on these 'hard' problems.

Derek

dewildeman

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 05:15:18 AM »
Great idea dewildeman,

But to propose such an award would require real names to be used - would you be in agreement to this?  Perhaps to get the ball rolling, I could send in a proposed article to KM (or you could), giving the background and proposing an award, then take it from there.

How do you feel like becoming a real person?

Derek

The proposal was tongue-in-cheek and I don't think there was much expectation of an award.  But I do appreciate the definition for the "Hurley Hitch".

I have been a real person for over 55 years, as my mother and several members here can verify.

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 10:25:51 AM »

The proposal was tongue-in-cheek and I don't think there was much expectation of an award.  But I do appreciate the definition for the "Hurley Hitch".

I have been a real person for over 55 years, as my mother and several members here can verify.

Being in possession of a corporeal self takes you well over half way to 'coming out' knotologically speaking, and having over 55 years of experience under your belt should have armed you with plenty of experiences to share.  I look forward to the real dewildeman introducing him/her self in 2010.

As for the 'Hurley Hitch'.  I was being quite serious, and I hope that the Council see fit to grant this award, because for me, it is more than just about giving another name to an amorphous tangle.

There are some people in this world who have excellent spatial perception - they just look at a knot and 'see' where and how the cord flows.  But there are also those for whom the humble knot is a real challenge - to be mastered only by hard work and perseverance.  These are the folk who have had to really want to master knots and work hard to get there, and that diligence deserves recognition.

Naming the category of tangles is only the humorous side.  I would hope that the Council can be convinced to go further and create the Hurley Hitch Award, in honour of those who stick at it with perseverance to master the skill of knotting.  A name and an award which symbolises both the fun and the skill of knotting should be worth a place in 2010.

Lets hope our Council share the feelings.

Derek

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 02:02:25 PM »
snip...

For complex topics with several sub aspects a forum is not an ideal format because aspects can be lost in the long linear structure of a forum thread.  One tool that might help would be to add the 'Tags' mod available to SMF (the utility which runs our forum) http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=579  -  would this be permitted ?
Derek

Hi Derek,

Sorry to have taken so long to catch up on this comment, but I wanted to double check with Mel: Simple Machines Forums don't yet have a tags facility.  It is hoped it may be included in the long-awaited SM2 release, but until that materialises, Mel doesn't know for sure.  But once the forum is upgraded, she plans to look into it somehow.

Regards
Glenys
Lesley
WebAdmin

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 07:27:38 PM »
Hi Glenys

On the SM Forum, there is a post which links to the available Tags Mod that is stated as being compatible with 1.1.11

see http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=579

Derek

sharky

• Sharky
  • Exp. Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 12:35:58 PM »
I recognize that knot...that would be the "Johnny Walker" Knot (lol) ;D
Sharky