Author Topic: The right handed bowline is safer than the left handed ! (?)  (Read 16035 times)

Walter Seltzer

Re: The right handed bowline is safer than the left handed ! (?)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 12:19:16 AM »
In a howling gale blowing my 230' x 50' vessel (more of a sail than boat) off the dock, my deck hand was able to heave a monkey fist attached to a 2" twisted nylon line to a mad dockside who hastily but properly tied a simple bowline in the end and put the loop over the piling.  With the other end of the line wrapped around the vessel's midship bit, I put the dockside engine in gear and juiced it up slowly.  The line stretched and the diameter thinned and after a few minutes of taking in the line around the bit, the vessel eased gently against the pilings.  We got the other lines on, simply untied the bowline and hung the line to dry properly before we stowed it.

To be honest with you, I was more concerned with the rope parting (getting everybody to stand way back away from the line and bit and piling) than I was about the bowline malfunctioning.

Note the key words in the first sentence... properly tied

Cap't Walter M Seltzer
Threelees1@aol.com
The Knot Knut's
Creative Rope Designs
by
Cap't. Walter M. Seltzer

Dan_Lehman

Re: The right handed bowline is safer than the left handed ! (?)
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 06:40:12 AM »
... who hastily but properly tied a simple bowline in the end and put the loop over the piling.
... The line stretched and the diameter thinned ...
To be honest with you, I was more concerned with the rope parting (getting everybody to stand way back away from the line and bit and piling) than I was about the bowline malfunctioning.

Note the key words in the first sentence... properly tied

Seeing such a line "thin" under strain is quite sobering, isn't it!?
You KNOW that there's an huge load on that, and you don't want
to be anywhere near its recoil should it part!  Good job seeing to that.

Now, there is some detail to be searched for to flesh out those
key words, "properly tied" -- with no doubt many interpretations
and evaluations.

Frankly, for such a circumstance as you describe, I think I'd have
preferred a round turn (or two) and a Rolling Hitch (or backhanded
hitch).

--dl*
====