Author Topic: Calling all those who are or who remember their first visit to the website...  (Read 14538 times)

ianxm

I remember my first visit.  It was some time last week.  I've recently taken a keen interest in knots, and had gone through all of the knots on wikipedia, then thumbed through some books and read a few other knotting websites.  There is plenty of great information that is available, but I found some inconsistencies.  For example, the reef knot is recommended by most, but I saw a place or two that said it was awful and probably responsible for more deaths than any other knot.

anyway, I found this site looking for something of an authority.  Most sites are written by a single person.  They present their favorite knots.  Since igkt is a community, there is a larger collection of knowledge and experience.

The forum is an excellent resource and your list of links is great.  Thanks.

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
Welcome to the forum ianxm.

ianxm

Thanks, skyout.

I've thought about it some more and have a suggestion on how to make the site more useful and drive more traffic to it.  Many sites categorize knots and have overviews of each category.  A site may tell you that, "hitches attach a rope to an object."  But there are so many hitches.  Can't I just buntline everything?  Categories are helpful, but it's still not easy to choose the ideal knot for a specific situation.

I think it would be valuable for the igkt forum to take polls or have discussions on the ideal knot for specific situations that ordinary people (as opposed to seamen, no offense) come across in their daily lives.  some examples... best way to tie your shoes, neatly coil a rope or extention cord, tie a suitcase to the roof of a car, tie down your car's trunk when it's a little too full, etc.  I guess mooring your boat could be one also.  The community could also select one from each category as the best to know if you only want to learn one.

the igkt site could host a page with the poll results.  Also, to help people find the igkt site, we could, for example, add "the icicle hitch is an excellent choice for attaching a string to a broom handle to hang" to the icicle hitch wikipedia page, then set the reference back to the igkt forum thread or poll results page.

TheTreeSpyder

• Exp. Member
i remember finding the site a number of times on searches of various topics over some length of time.

i always and all ways remember going away just as starving as i came; and somewhat bewildered that the 'good stuff' was of course there someplace, and i wasn't smart enough to find it.

Surely, the class, stature, heritage even name of International Guild of Knot Tyers would be the end all and be all modern authority on the confusing names, titles, forms etc. of the lacings i depended my and other's lives to.  If there was written science and form, i expected them to have it and more.

After some time, on searches i skipped IGKT references, the few times i saw them.

iamknot

I'm a new member. :)  I just joined tonite(8/3/2011 23:30) 8).  I'm looking for info on some kind of fancywork that I can tie around my steel water bottle.  Downloaded KnotMaker software and look forward to learning a few knots and making a few projects based on those knots. :)

Val

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the Forum Iamknot.  Here is a link that may start you off: http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/2010/08/adding-paracord-to-water-bottles.html.

Barry

BB&K

Re: Calling all those who are or who remember their first visit to the website...
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
I was looking for information on how to submit an article to Knotting Matters.  Haven't found it yet!  But did find this forum so decided to stop in for a Chat!    ;D   Seriously though, I like the site and have no changes to suggest. 

Good Job  ;)
Better Braids & Knots

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
Re: Calling all those who are or who remember their first visit to the website...
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 09:04:29 PM »
Details of where to send articles for knotting matters are on the "Publications" page of the main website. Scroll down to "Knotting Matters" to see the UK postal address or the editor's email address. Contributor's from the USA who want to send material by post can do so to Lindsey Philpott the editor whose address is on the membership list (if a non-member wishes to send material to Lindsey send me a PM and I'll let you have his address).

Barry