Author Topic: Calling all those who are or who remember their first visit to the website...  (Read 14541 times)

Deacon

Welcome to the forum Deacon,

Good to have you in the fold as it were!

SR

Appreciate the welcome.
I've obtained a copy of ABOK and I'm working on learning the terminology.
Some of it I know, some of it I have to re-educate to undo some incorrect assumptions. But hey, it's all good.

My current past time is working on my cars.
But I've found that working with knots/braids has a pleasant "calming" affect.
I've already made several simple bracelets and the such for my daughters.
Now I'm thinking about some lanyards for my pocket knives.

MikeyG1965

This is my first posting as I just joined about five minutes ago.  I think I hit the jackpot by finding this site.

Was wanting to learn how to make things with paracord and stumbled onto a very good YouTube tutorial and this web site was referenced by someone leaving a comment.

skyout

• Fancy Knots by skyout
Welcome to the forum MikeyG.

Have you visited Storm's blog? He does beautiful work with paracord!
http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

JustKnot

• My knot album
... mentioning YouTube - probably the most popular site after google and facebook - just though it would be cool for IGKT to have it's own channel tofor broadcast tutorials and ideas contributed by members, meeting videos and other related stuff.
I think it's worth doing...

oeps... I should have posted this one in Feedback section, sorry for a little mess ::)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:54:03 AM by JustKnot »

Peter

Vessels and noise sprang to mind.

Joe McNicholas

It was a dark and stormy night... I enjoyed the visit easy to use simple. Joe

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
Peter,

Very funny, as long as you are still in high school  ::).  What are your contributions, mostly?  :-*

SR

SAI Peregrinus

The website lists the goals of the guild. Shouldn't these goals also be the goals of the site?
   1. Promote research into all aspects of knotting
   2. Act as a primary source of reference and consultation
   3. Publish a periodical [?] about knot crafts and related subjects
   4. Form and maintain a library of books, papers, films, photographs and other materials associated with knots. [?] with a view to making information availabe to Members of the Guild and the general public
   5. Form collection of knots and knotting and work related crafts
   6. Promote and encourage knotting as an element in the education of children and young persons, and as a therapy for those who may benefit from such remedial activity
   7. Further promote the interest in knotting and associated activities, through its members, to the general public

I visited IGKT.net for the first time years ago, but never saw much of interest. Now that I have a job I joined the IGKT-PAB. Finally set up a forum account here.
So. Part 1. The forums are more of a place for that than the main page, but there should probably be a list of the newest knots, and who created them.
2: There should be more information on how to tie knots. As is there is nearly none.
3: Digital copies of Knotting Matters (for members) would be great.
4: Public Domain books could be scanned and placed online. Quite a bit of work though.
5: The gallery should be better organized. Perhaps a list of knots and pictures thereof?
6: Making the website a better resource would do this.
7: See 6.

KHWW.net has a nice knot index. Click a name, get a page telling how to tie that knot.

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
The website lists the goals of the guild. Shouldn't these goals also be the goals of the site?

I visited IGKT.net for the first time years ago, but never saw much of interest. Now that I have a job I joined the IGKT-PAB. Finally set up a forum account here.
So. Part 1. The forums are more of a place for that than the main page, but there should probably be a list of the newest knots, and who created them.
2: There should be more information on how to tie knots. As is there is nearly none.
3: Digital copies of Knotting Matters (for members) would be great.
4: Public Domain books could be scanned and placed online. Quite a bit of work though.
5: The gallery should be better organized. Perhaps a list of knots and pictures thereof?
6: Making the website a better resource would do this.

KHWW.net has a nice knot index. Click a name, get a page telling how to tie that knot.

To respond to your comments above:
1. I'm not sure what you mean in the first part - the "newest knots" is an endless source of debate as a "new" knot is actually quite rare (if there is such a thing).
2. We have decided to use links to well developed sites rather than re-invent the wheel (eg see the link to the Animated Knots site under Other Knot Related Personal Sites).
3. Digital copies of Knotting Matters 1 to 30 are now available (and are sent to new members on DVD with their membership pack). Later editions will depend on the resource to scan earlier ones.
4. This is being done by Project Gutenberg - we simply do not have the resources.
5.  I will have a look at your suggestion.

And finally welcome to the Forum - constructive comments like this are always welcome.

Barry
Hon. Sec.

Wed

When I first heard of IGKT, I too thought it was THE authority on knots. But as I have come to understand it, it is one of the clubs/associations about knots of several. The forum is the place to go for information. The club is a place to meet likeminded people.

And ABOK is not freely available until September 18, 1947+70 years. That is 2017.

Wed

"Freely" was the word that triggered me. Your copy may have been free of charge. But it is not free.

By the way. It's not wise to link to illegal material.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:11:58 PM by Wed »

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
Link removed by moderator

LanceThruster

I had come across this site long before looking for knot tying instructions (trucker's knot and fishing knots) and wound up using someone else's illustrated knot instructions. Came back here day before yesterday using the list of useful knots page and joined the forum because I was fascinated with the Gleipnir knot discussion.

Great site with helpful and knowledgeable people as far as I can tell.

The-Knot-Man

Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 100 KB.

WHY???

Why only 100KB

knot4u

I came to this forum because of the "Practical Knots" sub-forum.  I don't really have an interest in decorative knots, unless the decorative knots are also functional.  Recently, I have developed an interest in knots for rock climbing and tree climbing.  I'll be spending more time in other forums that are focused on those activities.  The Practical Knots forum here is good, but it could use a broader range of experts who regularly share what they're doing in the field.