Author Topic: Composing Forum Rules & Guidelines  (Read 56184 times)

Mrs Glenys Chew

• Administrator
  • Exp. Member
Re: Composing Forum Rules & Guidelines
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 11:06:57 PM »
It's looking like a majority of no's for posting rules, whether for a trial or permanent period, then.

So, may we conclude that those who have taken part in this post, at least, will go back into the greater forum determined to stamp out discourtesy by overwhelming it with greater courtesy, and thereby lead by example?

Regards

Glenys
Mrs Glenys Chew
1 Corinthians 15:10

SpitfireTriple

• Seek Truth
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »
I don't greatly disagree with any of Roo's suggested rules per se.  But I agree with virtually everyone else who thinks it better to have any such rules, as far as possible, left unsaid. Two reasons:

1.  Anyone inclined to break rules like this will do so irrespective of rules.

2.  If one of the first things people see when clicking on a web-site is a long list of rules, most of those people will think "bossy bunch" and go elsewhere.  Okay, maybe that's just how I'd react!

The knotting world is inevitably not the most dynamic world.  I'm a mere newbie, but my input would be to suggest it is made no more stuffy than it is already.

As for Glenys's point, "...stamp out discourtesy by overwhelming it with greater courtesy, and thereby leading by example?", I couldn't agree more.  One place where this could start is when newbies make mistakes, including spelling mistakes - eg "Bitter End" for "Working End", or "Bite" for "Bight".  Rather than publicly pointing out their error to them, schoolmarm fashion, it has to be better simply to use the correct term "Working End" or the correct spelling "Bight" several times in our responses to such posts (not too many times though, they don't need a sledge-hammer!).  The newbie will get the message, without being humiliated.  Humiliated people don't learn, they leave.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:58:22 PM by SpitfireTriple »

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »
Got any suggestions:? ;D

Searching and compiling some common ones:

Rules & Guidelines

Stay on topic.

Messages posted to this board must be polite and free of personal attacks, threats, and crude or sexually-explicit language, rude comments and innuendo.

Personal differences should be handled through email or private messages and not through posts displayed to everyone.

Inappropriate or harassing private messages are not permitted.

Ignore spammers, or report them.

Do not use someone else's thread for a private conversation.  Use private messages or email for private conversations.

Do not comment on moderator disciplinary actions.

In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members.

Do not post new problems on someone else's thread and interrupt a topic of discussion.

Write concisely and do not ramble.

Search the other posts to see if your topic is already covered.

Use a meaningful title for your thread.

Material that violates the rules may be edited or deleted without prior notice.

Users who persistently violate the rules will be banned.

Long ago, I got a private message that some form of rules would be composed into an official list.  Letting "sea-salts be sea-salts" was an obvious failure, in addition to being an insult to seamen regarding their self-control.  As time goes on, it's apparent that this isn't happening.

But, just in case someday things change, and some rules are composed and enforced (beyond mere spam-blocking), I'd like to add a suggestion:

Do not bump topics as an alternative to linking to them in relevant discussions.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:56:11 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »
Got any suggestions:? ;D

Searching and compiling some common ones:

Rules & Guidelines

Stay on topic.

Messages posted to this board must be polite and free of personal attacks, threats, and crude or sexually-explicit language, rude comments and innuendo.

Personal differences should be handled through email or private messages and not through posts displayed to everyone.

Inappropriate or harassing private messages are not permitted.

Ignore spammers, or report them.

Do not use someone else's thread for a private conversation.  Use private messages or email for private conversations.

Do not comment on moderator disciplinary actions.

In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members.

Do not post new problems on someone else's thread and interrupt a topic of discussion.

Write concisely and do not ramble.

Search the other posts to see if your topic is already covered.

Use a meaningful title for your thread.

Material that violates the rules may be edited or deleted without prior notice.

Users who persistently violate the rules will be banned.

Long ago, I got a private message that some form of rules would be composed into an official list.  Letting "sea-salts be sea-salts" was an obvious failure, in addition to being an insult to seamen regarding their self-control.  As time goes on, it's apparent that this isn't happening.

But, just in case someday things change, and some rules are composed and enforced (beyond mere spam-blocking), I'd like to add a suggestion:

Do not bump topics as an alternative to linking to them in relevant discussions.

Thank you roo.

I believe that some of these are common decency issues and they have been addressed behind the scenes with limited progress. I know that I will personally try my best to use these suggestions to moderate the forum, regardless of them being "officially posted".

Mere Spam blocking is important as you must know and it is not the only action taken by the Administration.

We could all work together on the linking to relevant topic discussions.

SS

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2012, 05:54:05 AM »
Hi Roo,

Just a clarification.  Yes, I did send you that intention about a list of forum rules.  Circumstances in my life prevented me from being in the forum as much as I wanted then, and when I came back to it I realised that in actual fact the very great majority of contributors do keep to the unwritten rules of courtesy, and it is only a minority who display discourtesy in their posts.

It seemed to me then that it would be better to deal as well as we could with incidents as they arose using other communications than a list of rules.

I should have communicated better to you my change of mind on that score, and I apologise that I didn't.

If you would direct me to the offended sailor, I'll be happy to message him or her about the offence caused.

Regards

Glenys
Lesley
WebAdmin