Author Topic: Prayer cord/rosary  (Read 5559 times)

drjbrennan

• Exp. Member
Prayer cord/rosary
« on: August 09, 2005, 12:11:36 AM »
I happened across this site.

http://www.jocokyroots.com/knotted_prayer_cord.htm

I wondered if any members had seen anything similar, or could suggest any improvements as I think I'll have a go making one of these.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 12:13:15 AM by drjbrennan »
IGKT Member

Willeke

• knopen . ismijnhobby . nl
    • Willeke's knotted Ideas
Re: Prayer cord/rosary
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 01:04:39 AM »
Any knot that forms a bead around a string will do. I have made necklaces and bracelets using turks head knots.
The long narrow ones are 2 bight, 5 lead TH's, the little round ones are 4 bight, 3 lead, 1 ply TH's, the middle size are spanish ringknots, made out of the 3 by 4's  and the bigger round ones are 4 bight, 3 lead, 2 ply TH's.
I have also used combinations of 3x4 and 4x3, single ply and doubled. The only thing you have to remember is the bring the string through the middle of the knot when tying.

And when you do not mind having a double string running through the middle of your knots you can also use the 2 strand Diamond knot, also known as lanyard knot, and many more lanyard knots.

Willeke

PS, a bigger view on many of the knots of this board you find here and a simpler aproach here
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 12:01:00 AM by Willeke »
"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools,
nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen

Writer of A booklet on lanyards, available from IGKT supplies.

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
  • A knot is not just a knot...
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 01:25:34 AM »
Hi all,
Here is a link where I get some of my cord supply. This place is a solid source also.

http://www.fnt-victory.net/rosary.html

Brian...
Regards,
Brian Kidd

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 10:49:22 PM »
To tie a traditional Rosary, you need a cross.  Go to this page on KHWW to download a Turks Head Cross template.  Then you can tie a complete Rosary with Turks Head knots.

http://www.khww.net/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=20

Pat

Teena

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 05:58:05 PM »
Thanks Brian for the link and support!

I would love to see more Knot Tyers visit our site! We have really expanded our line to now include smaller sizes of twisted nylon twine in colors, and larger sizes of braid in colors. Please pass the word that I would be more that happy to send out samples of our twine. Just email me at the address I listed in this post, and let me know what samples specifically you would like, and a "ship-to" address.

Also, *someone on another forum*  ;)  mentioned about a Swedish Fid. Does anybody know an inexpensive US source for these?

Thanks!  
Teena @ FNT Industries, Inc.
Twine Division
www.rosarytwine.com

P.S. Don't let the name "rosary twine" scare you...we have been selling twine to knotted rosary makers for over 25 years and that's the name that has evolved!

Knot Head

• Knot Head
  • Exp. Member
  • A knot is not just a knot...
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 09:41:22 AM »
No problem. Here in about a month or so I am going to be ordering some more of the 5lb #32 White cord.
Regards,
Brian Kidd