Author Topic: Yeah I'm a newbie  (Read 2998 times)

knotsilly

Yeah I'm a newbie
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:22:02 AM »
I thought something interesting about any of us who post here.
That any one of us - what a couple thousand people (IN THE WORLD) !!

Shame on me to come to this place with an arrogance that I have figured some thing(s) out - To come here with the idea that some of your socks could be knocked off.  :-[

With so many people in the world and so few of us in comparison - While dually so spread out in some cases. Each of us brings a beautiful, unique art-form to our regions.

Still a newbie,
knotsilly

A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light that flashes across his mind from within, more than the lustre of the firmament of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thought, because it is his.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Frayed Knot Arts

• Knot too smart at times....
    • Frayed Knot Arts
Re: Yeah I'm a newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:23:36 PM »
Knotsilly, you're right... your ARE still a "newbie"

I've been doon fancywork on and off for over fifty years, and ya know something?

I'M STILL A NEWBIE!

Anyone who says he "knows it all" or "can do anything" is a fool at best and seriously deranged at worst.

I have people come by the booth wherever I sell/exhibit with their work in hand and it is uniformly amazing to me that they spent the time to learn it, to do it and then to show it.   My socks get knocked off constantly.

Keep doing it, refining it and taking pictures of it... ten years from now you'll look at them and go, "yecch!!!", or, "That was pretty good...", but you'll ALWAYS be a "Newbie" to some aspect of knotting or ropework.  

Welcome, Newbie!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 05:24:28 PM by frayedknotarts »

JasonWilson

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 05:47:31 PM »
You have to cross the bar before you've really done it all.

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:04:22 PM »
They always keep raising the bar.  I guess I'll always be a newbie, too!

Pat

aknotter

• Exp. Member
  • Member IGKT-PAB since 2000
    • Pacific Americas Branch of the IGKT
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 11:50:15 PM »
What frayedknotarts said!!! I don't care how good your are - there is an ACTUAL newbie out there that knows something about some knot that you don't. But the thing I like about this forum (& khww) is the willingness to share information/knowledge.
Jimmy R Williams - IGKTPAB Secretary/Treasurer
Site: IGKTPAB.ORG Email: IGKTPAB@GMAIL.COM
Event Pix: PICASAWEB.GOOGLE.COM/IGKTPAB

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 11:24:49 PM »
It seems to me that the best thing about being a newbie is that there is always so much more to explore.  I recently found one of Lindsey's books in my local library (n the UK), and had never known there were variations on a sheepshank.  Since I use them to cunningly disguise my caches of cord as key-savers, I look forwards to finding out what colleagues the Man-O-War Sheepshank has.  And often, I've been baffled by a knot, only to come back to it some months later having tried other things, and found my 'eye' or my understanding have improved in the meantime.

I hope you enjoy your explorations here  :)

Regards
Glenys
Lesley
WebAdmin

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 07:09:24 PM »
You can never learn everything. As long as there is cord, someone will invent knots.