Author Topic: Russian Visit.  (Read 2255 times)

sledge

Russian Visit.
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:24:30 PM »
Thanks to those who tried to help me before I went to Russia. I said I would report back with what I found there, rope work wise. Not much. The only real thing of interest was 15th century rope sandal's and a belt at the Moscow City History Museum. Not much there folks. That's about it.

Again, thanks to those who replied to my previous mail. Keep on knotting.                                     Sledge.

Phil_The_Rope

• Exp. Member
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
    • www.gr8-knots.com
Re: Russian Visit.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 03:01:51 PM »
Hi Sledge.

Hope you had a good time. I'm so sorry I couldn't have been of more help, but I didn't get any replies at all from my Russian customers.

I wondered if you'd managed to get photos of the sandals and the belt? Probably not, I suppose, as you'd now be undergoing interrogation from the KGB for spying! I do have a friend who was arrested many years ago for taking photos in a Russian museum!

If, however, you did manage photos, I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing to see them!

Regards,

Phil

sledge

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »
Hi Phil.

Thanks for the reply & your help. I didn't get any photo's of the 15th century sandals & belt. One of those museums where no photography allowed.

They both seemed to be made of square knots. Both appeared to be made of hand layed fibre rope. It is the only example of rope work I saw in Russia.

There may have been more examples in the Museum at the Peter & Paul Fortress, St Petersburg. ( Leningrad in the old days )  Went to the Fortress but didn't get time to go to the Museum.  Ran out of time. I feel as though it might have been a better Museum to visit now. Peter The great was the Founder of the Russian Military Navy

What got me though at the Museum with the sandals & belt, was when the "Guards" insisted I put on an 1800 century Viking Helmet so they could take a photo of me in it with my camera for me to take home. It was hung with chainmail, & damn, it was heavy. The links were all hand forged. The helmet was bronze. I don't know how they wore full body suit's of that type of armour. The helmet alone was that B@^)*Y heavy.

Hope I haven't bored you, but that's what happened.

Thats it Phil. Again thanks.        Sledge

turks head 54

• Banner Creek Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »
How ironic. I've seen pictures of Anadyr after a relative went there and the pictures show a grubby looking place. He said that a border guard was with him at all times. What is Russia like? Is it grubby and drity or am I suffering from listening to sterotypes?

th54