Author Topic: Board description and possible tutorial sub-board?  (Read 27401 times)

Dan_Lehman

Re: Board description and possible tutorial sub-board?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 06:15:06 PM »
Then Decorative Knots gets vandalized with "MOVED MOVED MOVED MOVED MOVED",

I was looking at those 'Moved' notices last night and wondering whether it would be better to get rid of them.
Normally, it's considered polite to leave behind a note when moving a topic

Although sometimes this might coincide w/movement from the page by virtue
of new posts occupying that space, I think you might have a compromise:
the MOVED indeed is an alert/reminder, but after a few days(?) no one should
need continued reminding, and the MOVED entry can be REmoved.  Does
that work?  (Only a quite occasional reader would then have the confusion
of looking in vain for a remembered but moved thread.)

If my goal of constituting the individual forums with old threads from Chit-Chat,
I'd say that there is no point at all to leave a MOVED note--how many folks are
looking back several pages at threads?  --few to none, I'll surmise.
The benefit to such retroactive reclassification/moving is that the wealth
of past discussions will fall under appropriate headings and be more
likely to be found; Search isn't all so helpful at finding things, sometimes.
And someone might just want to browse and see what's there, but ONLY
for Practical topics (or only for Decorative ones).

OK, you guys are just looking for things to complain about now.
Hey, I came in late & rather neutrally on this, hardly complaining.

;)

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 09:53:06 PM »
Hello All,

I am a bit confused as to why there would be any resistance to a Tutorial Board.

If indeed one of the ideals of the IGKT is to promote knotting, then it makes absolute sense that the best knotting minds make the best tutorials available to whomever comes seeking them here.

Of course this may curtail monetary pursuits a bit if there knot book authors out there.

SS

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »
Hello All,

I am a bit confused as to why there would be any resistance to a Tutorial Board.

So I guess you haven't read any of this thread at all.   ???

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:04:17 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 04:09:33 AM »
Hi SS,

Really, there is no objection to the creation or the existence of a Board or sub-Board.  The only reaction really seems to be from posters not wanting to have things moved to such a board or sub-board because that means someone has to make an extra click - maybe even two!  The effort (of one or two clicks) is certainly far more than multiple postings to the Board here and saying that what has been done should not have been done....

Many posters seem to favor the idea of a Board or sub-Board, unless I am reading things incorrectly, and democracy includes majority rule after a proper inclusive discussion from a variety of viewpoints, so that individual posters can make up their mind about the pros and cons offered by way of argumentation.  C'est la vie!  I am all in favor of a separate sub-Board! ;D

SR

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 01:25:50 PM »
As to your comment Roo, I have read this and it is confusing, to Me!
Perhaps you are following it better and can see it so much better from on high.

"So I guess you haven't read any of this thread at all.   Huh" <<< this does not help a bit, thank you very much.

Thank you SR, for an attempt to explain. I did follow from the beginning the desire of some to halt all movement, link instead, or generally do nothing to what already was in place.
It just felt like a stonewall  to having tutorials. My humble opinion.

Have a nice day wherever you are.

SS

roo

• The Notable Knot Index
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 05:40:54 PM »
Hi SS,

Really, there is no objection to the creation or the existence of a Board or sub-Board.  The only reaction really seems to be from posters not wanting to have things moved to such a board or sub-board because that means someone has to make an extra click - maybe even two! 

SS369 & Squarerigger,

At the risk of  rehashing a lot of what's been gone over, I'll attempt to give you some points for consideration so that you don't create an inconsiderate board of unintended consequences.

1.  Rudeness & Irritation:  Imagine if you are reading a newspaper or a book, and someone snatches it away because they "need" it.  No, they didn't lend it to you, and you were doing nothing wrong.  Now imagine that happens over and over.  Could that get more than a little irritating?  Infuriating even?

So, when properly-placed threads are stolen from boards, people are likely to get irritated, be less likely to contribute and even leave.  This is extremely counterproductive to the board being a learning environment.

2.  Disruption:  When a thread is moved, it often kills it.  One of many possible reasons for this is that many of the original participants don't see it anymore.  The regulars of the other board suddenly see an already-established thread, and are less likely to add to it.  It almost has the feeling of being old to them, and that they've missed the boat.

Therefore this too inhibits instruction.

Also, when a thread disappears, any responses (helpful, in need of correction, or otherwise) in the new board are more likely to be missed by the original poster and participants in the coming days, weeks, and months.  They were implicitly expecting new responses to rise to the top of their favorite board.  Not only is this counterproductive, it is also irritating, and thus inhibits participation. 

I've offered two compromises in this thread.  If you two want to show that you're reading and seriously considering the other point of view, then offer your evaluation of both of those compromises.  If I don't hear anything from you, I'll just assume that you're skimming this thread and are only interested in inconsiderately pushing a pet project without pondering the unintended consequences.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 05:46:18 PM by roo »
If you wish to add a troll to your ignore list, click "Profile" then "Buddies/Ignore List".

Notable Knot Index

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 08:25:44 AM »
Really, there is no objection to the creation or the existence of a Board or sub-Board.

A "sub"-board exists under the Decorative knotting forum, and those who are
active in the original forum seem to generally favor this division.  However,
I see no similar need for such a division for Practical knots:  we don't have
quite the same sort of discussions as decorative-knotting tutorials, and what
might be seen to roughly constitute such a post probably will bring enough
comment about various aspects to merit general interest beyond that of those
needing the instruction.  So, as I don't find any need or anyone positing a
need for such a sub-forum for Practical Knots, let's not "fix" this side of
things with it.  Fair enough?

;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:46:29 AM by Dan_Lehman »

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 08:29:54 AM »
I am in favour of not fixing what ain't broke.  If anyone thinks a sub board would the right place to start a thread (not move things into it) then let them make the case at the time.

Barry

SS369

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 01:04:29 PM »
Speaking for myself only, I have been reading along from the beginning and while not being the erudite knot expert with years and years of experience here, but just a bottom dwelling forum member, I did add my opinion, not necessarily a solution or contradiction, by asking a question.
"I am a bit confused as to why there would be any resistance to a Tutorial Board." Sorry that I neglected to put the ? on the end, my bad.
Another question:

This thread is named what?

And I gleaned the purpose was to get opinions.

I am of the simple but desirous opinion that tutorials are a good thing in all the boards if in fact the forum/Guild wants knotting to be a craft that is passed along to the future generations.

That's it, simple.

Thank you to all the sharing experts.

SS

TheTreeSpyder

• Exp. Member
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »
How about leaving stuff where it is to satisfy that camp, and have a table of tutorial lynx to satisfy that camp/strategy?

Sweeney

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 02:58:55 PM »
That's what I meant in Reply #26.  I assume we can put links on the main website as long as we don't display the content actually on our site?

Barry