Author Topic: Skinned, Thin and Breathable Ring  (Read 5510 times)

decors

• de Cor's Handmades
Skinned, Thin and Breathable Ring
« on: December 22, 2008, 03:59:43 AM »

Design Background:
My very dear have very sensitive skins and the wedding ring caused rashes around his finger everytime he wears it, so he gave up wearing it after 1 month after our wedding ceremony. I am always curious if there will be some sort of "breathable" and extremely lightweight rings out there so people that have sensitive skins could at least wear their wedding ring.

Then I figured I may as well design one and create it. :)

So here it is, and this is my first attempt composing a ring using this knotting design, please be gentle.

Thank you for looking!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:00:16 AM by decors »

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
Re: Skinned, Thin and Breathable Ring
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:37:31 AM »
decors,

what a lovely design - even using one of the lovers knots - a nice touch.

With skill like this it will be no time before you are tying Turks Head bands as finger rings.

Have you thought about tying the Guild emblem as a pin?

Derek

decors

• de Cor's Handmades
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:41:15 AM »
decors,

what a lovely design - even using one of the lovers knots - a nice touch.

With skill like this it will be no time before you are tying Turks Head bands as finger rings.

Have you thought about tying the Guild emblem as a pin?

Derek

Derek, I am not sure what do you mean, you mean the badge? Put in my website saying I am a member of the guild? Funny thing is I just sent a mail to Vincent to check out how it could be done but he hadn't reply yet.

You mind feeding me with more information? Like, how do I qualified and such?

Corra

PatDucey

• IGKT Pacific Americas Branch
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 12:45:44 AM »
Derek is talking about the Guild logo, which is in the upper right hand of this page.  The knot is a 3 lead by 4 part Turks Head, laid flat.  The over-under is very similar to the Carrick Bend you used for you ring. 

Joining the Guild is easy, just pay the dues.  Membership is open to anyone.  There are benefits of membership which include a subscription to the quarterly magazine "Knotting Matters".

Also check out the website of Golden Knots:  http://www.golden-knots.com/
I know Loren tours the country once a year (in summer) to give lessons and workshops.  If you are making knotted jewelry, he has some fascinating insight and some excellent custom tools for making the knots come out balanced and even.  It really would be worth an inquirey to see if you are near where he will be teaching.

Pat

Loren

• Golden Knots
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 02:59:48 AM »
Corra,

Very cool application of the Carrick Bend, looks great!

Loren

decors

• de Cor's Handmades
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 04:02:44 AM »
Derek is talking about the Guild logo, which is in the upper right hand of this page.  The knot is a 3 lead by 4 part Turks Head, laid flat.  The over-under is very similar to the Carrick Bend you used for you ring. 

Joining the Guild is easy, just pay the dues.  Membership is open to anyone.  There are benefits of membership which include a subscription to the quarterly magazine "Knotting Matters".

Also check out the website of Golden Knots:  http://www.golden-knots.com/
I know Loren tours the country once a year (in summer) to give lessons and workshops.  If you are making knotted jewelry, he has some fascinating insight and some excellent custom tools for making the knots come out balanced and even.  It really would be worth an inquirey to see if you are near where he will be teaching.

Pat

Thanks Pat, at least I have clearer idea about what's been discussed over here. :D

Loren left me a message in CWJ forum, and also pointed out knots are known in various names, appreciates Loren's comments. :)

decors

• de Cor's Handmades
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:06:04 AM »
Corra,

Very cool application of the Carrick Bend, looks great!

Loren

Dear Loren, thanks for telling the knot's name, I  will try to remember it! :) I visited your website, I am in awe!