Author Topic: How to tie many knots in a single rope  (Read 17912 times)

squarerigger

• Global Moderator
  • IGKTPAB Immediate Past President
    • The Knot Guy
Re: How to tie many knots in a single rope
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 08:33:57 AM »
Thank you Dan,

This goes, I think, a long way to really focusing on whether or not it is an archaic system (that of naming knots) rather than using a system of knot structures, with or without the supposed base of the hitchee.  After all, once the sailor had cast the hitches on his thumb, the hitchee (#49 - thank you Dan, correct as always), he then proceeded to make them into marling hitches, finally forming overhand knots.  So when is a knot a knot?  When it's not!  Better perhaps to speak of direction of load and trapped or not trapped or even simpler, to speak of the form and basic underlying structure and purpose of a series of loops, independent of whether or not they are around another object, artificially moved to one side to call it a half hitch or a single hitch or whether it forms part of another knot altogether.  Hence a bowline loop is simply a bight trapped in a loop forming a closed temporary eye.  But that is a whole different post than the original title.... ;D

SR

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 11:06:24 PM »
Thank you both, gentlemen.  I think I need to print out these replies, and go away and mull them over a bit.  With my four-year-old this afternoon being suspected of harbouring chicken pox (haven't got the blisters yet!) the actual time to digest the replies might be a bit more difficult to obtain  :)

But I am also trying a few passes with small cord (2-3mm).  My first attempts were more of a continuous winding of loops, rather than the clove-style winding of loops, and dismal failures.  I shall try again.....

Regards

Glenys
Lesley
WebAdmin

PwH

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 02:03:08 PM »
Thanks for the Picture Dan , that's the very one I was trying to upload. How do you do it? I can't figure it out!
Is a Round Turn just a Grossly Overfed Seabird?

Dan_Lehman

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2008, 07:18:05 PM »
Thanks for the Picture Dan , that's the very one I was trying to upload. How do you do it? I can't figure it out!

Under an assumed name, apparently--viz., "DerekSmith".
(My images here were verbal or vapor.  Elsewhere, though, I've put up some tiny JPEGs.)

:D

PwH

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 01:40:35 AM »
Oops-sorry , not concentrating! ---But how dooo you do it? :-)
Is a Round Turn just a Grossly Overfed Seabird?

DerekSmith

• IGKT Member
  • Knot Botherer
    • ALbion Alliance
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 10:58:16 AM »

Hi Peter, like a lot of things, it's easy when you know how.

There are several stages involved :-

• Getting a picture out of ABoK
  • Making it the right size and type of file
  • Appending it to a post or adding it to the body of a post

I don't know if any particular aspect is sticking you, so I will quickly go through them all and If you want more detail on one in particular, you will have to let me know.

To get a picture from ABoK, either scan the page or take a photograph, or if you have the ABoK in pdf format then with the page you want on the screen, hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys and press the Print Scrn key, this will copy the screen to the paste buffer, then use your graphics software (the easiest is Painter in Accessories or GIMP) and press Ctrl +v to past the buffer into a new picture.

To make the picture the right size and type, load the scan or picture into your graphics program (or paste in the screen copy as above), then crop the picture so that all the unnecessary bit is removed.  Then go to image size (or attributes depending which program you are using) and set the image to 150 pixels wide, then save the image using the .jpg format.  If your software gives you the option of copmression, choose about the 5 / 6 mark, the general rule is use as much compression as you can untill the image starts to degrade, then back off a little.

Finally adding the picture to the post, two ways here, easy and a bit harder.

The easy way is to attach the file using the Additional Options available when you are writing a post.  Just click on the Additional Options... just below the posting panel

and it will open up the options list including the Attach box like this

Click the Browse button and navigate to where you saved the .jpg file and click it, then click Open.

When you finally Post your reply, the picture will appear as a little thumbnail at the bottom of the post.

If however, you want to embed the pictures into the body of the text like these above you will first have to copy them to somewhere on the internet.  I use a free pbwiki.com wiki which makes putting the images onto the internet extremely easy (more details if you want).  When you know what the image url is, simply click the image button (just above the Post Reply box and type or paste the url between the [img] tags and then the image will be fetched from its internet location and copied into the post.  The disadvantage with this method is that if you ever take the picture off the internet, then the link will be lost and the image will no longer be shown.

Have fun
Derek

WebAdmin

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

Just snatching a few minutes whilst away in Exeter.  I can report partial success with the knots, thanks to the image Derek posted.

Yes, I got it to work for a few, but I had to be very careful how I drew the cord back through the loops.  I was using 2mm cord, and may try with .5mm stuff instead (which I'm currently making flashdrive keyfobs out of).

Thank you for all the help and the new skill  :)

Happy Christmas if I don't get on again before then.

Regards

Glenys
Lesley
WebAdmin